Quantum Eraser experiment reproduced at home

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving quantum weirdness and how it can be demonstrated at home using simple materials such as polarized film, a straight wire, and a red laser pointer. The experiment is based on an article from Scientific American and the speaker plans to provide more detailed explanations and photos in the future. They also mention a more comprehensive post on a forum where they have shared the experiment.
fizixfan
I'm just posting the bare bones of this experiment to begin with, as it was quite the task just to attach all the photos in the proper order. But this is about quantum weirdness, and how it can be demonstrated at home with polarized film, a straight piece of thin wire, and a red laser pointer. It's based on an article in Scientific American from April 14, 2007 called "A Do-It-Yourself Quantum Eraser." I think I've done this properly and I'm fairly satisfied with the results.

I will elaborate on this in the near future. For now, I hope the pictures can speak for themselves.

DSC_1889_Apparatus_single_wire_diffraction_combined_50_1232x816.jpg

Figure 1. Apparatus (red laser pointer, single wire only without path labeler, & diffraction pattern on wall)

DSC_1886_Diffraction pattern with single wire.jpg

Figure 2. Close-up of diffraction pattern on wall from laser beam passing through single wire.

DSC_1834_Apparatus_with_path_labeler_and_collapsed_interference_pattern_50 - Copy.jpg

Figure 3. Apparatus with path labeler and collapsed diffraction pattern on wall.

DSC_1854_Interference_collapsed_by_H-V_path_labeler.jpg

Figure 4. Close-up of collapsed diffraction pattern on wall after passing through path labeler.

DSC_1864_Apparatus_with_analyzer_and_eraser_50.jpg

Figure 5. Apparatus with path labeler and analyzer with restored interference pattern on wall.

DSC_1826_Diffraction_pattern_restored_with_eraser.jpg

Figure 6. Close-up of restored diffraction pattern on wall after passing through path labeler and analyzer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For me, the pictures do not speak for themselves ... some elaboration at each step is required.

Likes 1 person
UltrafastPED said:
For me, the pictures do not speak for themselves ... some elaboration at each step is required.

Yes, you're right. I will soon be editing this post to explain in greater detail what is happening at each step. I hope it's okay to post a "work in progress" in this forum. Bear with me, I'm new here, and I do appreciate your feedback. It keeps me motivated!

Here is a photo of the apparatus used in this experiment - a thin wire with orthogonal polarizers on either side ("path labeler"), polarized film ("analyzer") rotated at 45°relative to the path labeler, and a red laser pointer. I would have included this in the first post, but I could only upload six attachments.

DSC_1902_Quantum_eraser_apparatus.jpg

Related to Quantum Eraser experiment reproduced at home

1. What is the Quantum Eraser experiment?

The Quantum Eraser experiment is a thought experiment in quantum mechanics that demonstrates the counterintuitive nature of quantum mechanics. It involves the concept of wave-particle duality, where a single particle can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior.

2. Can the Quantum Eraser experiment be reproduced at home?

Yes, the Quantum Eraser experiment can be reproduced at home with some basic materials and equipment. It is a popular experiment among science enthusiasts and is often used as a demonstration in high school or college physics classes.

3. What materials are needed to reproduce the Quantum Eraser experiment at home?

The materials needed to reproduce the Quantum Eraser experiment at home include a laser pointer, polarizing filters, a beam splitter, and a screen or wall to project the light onto. These materials can easily be found at a local science supply store or online.

4. How does the Quantum Eraser experiment work?

In the Quantum Eraser experiment, a single photon is sent through a beam splitter, which splits the photon into two paths. One path goes through a polarizing filter, while the other path goes through a different polarizing filter. The two paths are then recombined and projected onto a screen. The polarizing filters can be set up in a way that allows the experimenter to determine whether the photon behaves as a wave or a particle.

5. What is the significance of the Quantum Eraser experiment?

The Quantum Eraser experiment is significant because it challenges our understanding of the fundamental nature of reality. It shows that particles can behave in seemingly contradictory ways, and that the act of observation can influence their behavior. This experiment has important implications for our understanding of quantum mechanics and how we perceive the world around us.