Quantum computing -- How is the relevant solution selected?

In summary, during a quantum computation, all possible solutions exist in a state of superposition. The relevant one is selected through a measurement process. Unlike a normal computer, which works sequentially, a quantum computer generates a superposition state of all possible products of all possible numbers and then performs a measurement to obtain the desired result. However, the accuracy of this result still needs to be verified. This process is explained in more detail in the Shor's factoring algorithm.
jeremyfiennes
TL;DR Summary
During a quantum computation, all possible solutions exist in a state of superposition. How is the relevant one selected?
During a quantum computation, all possible solutions exist in a state of superposition. How is the relevant one selected?

Physics news on Phys.org
I looked at it, but could not find an answer. As I understand it: when factorizing a large number, for instance, a normal computer takes pairs of numbers, multiplies them, and if the result is not the desired one, tries another pair. And so on, working sequentially.
Whereas a quantum computer generates simultaneously a superposition state of all possible products of all possible numbers, and then selects the desired one. My question is: how is this done in practice?

jeremyfiennes said:
I looked at it, but could not find an answer. As I understand it: when factorizing a large number, for instance, a normal computer takes pairs of numbers, multiplies them, and if the result is not the desired one, tries another pair. And so on, working sequentially.
Whereas a quantum computer generates simultaneously a superposition state of all possible products of all possible numbers, and then selects the desired one. My question is: how is this done in practice?
The quantum computer doesn't select the desired result. In the final stage of the algorithm, there is a measurement performed, and that measurement has a high probability of giving the correct answer, but the result has to be checked to make sure the right one was obtained.

https://www.quantiki.org/wiki/shors-factoring-algorithm

Likes Demystifier
Thanks. Dashing my hopes for a simple answer!

Related to Quantum computing -- How is the relevant solution selected?

1. What is quantum computing?

Quantum computing is a type of computing that uses quantum-mechanical phenomena, such as superposition and entanglement, to perform operations on data. It has the potential to solve complex problems much faster than classical computers.

2. How is quantum computing different from classical computing?

Quantum computing differs from classical computing in the way it processes information. Classical computers use binary bits, which can only exist in one of two states (0 or 1), while quantum computers use quantum bits, or qubits, which can exist in multiple states simultaneously. This allows quantum computers to perform calculations on a much larger scale and solve problems that are impossible for classical computers to solve.

3. How is the relevant solution selected in quantum computing?

The relevant solution in quantum computing is selected through a process called quantum algorithm. This involves using quantum gates to manipulate the qubits and measure their states, which results in a final output that represents the solution to the problem being solved. The algorithm used depends on the specific problem and the available resources.

4. What are the potential applications of quantum computing?

Quantum computing has the potential to revolutionize many industries, including finance, healthcare, and cybersecurity. It can be used to solve complex optimization problems, simulate quantum systems, and break encryption codes. It also has the potential to accelerate drug discovery and improve machine learning algorithms.

5. What are the challenges facing quantum computing?

One of the main challenges facing quantum computing is the fragility of qubits. They are easily affected by external disturbances, which can cause errors in calculations. Another challenge is the high cost and complexity of building and maintaining quantum computers. Additionally, there is a shortage of skilled professionals in the field of quantum computing, making it difficult to advance research and development in this area.