Quantum computation and entanglement

In summary, the conversation discusses the connection between entanglement and quantum computation. While entanglement is essential in applications such as quantum communication and computation, its usefulness in quantum computation is limited by the hardware and apparatus being used. The definition of entanglement is not fully settled, but there are discussions and examples that highlight the limitations of utilizing entanglement in certain situations.
vtahmoorian
Hi everyone
I am working on entanglement between an atomic system and its spontaneous emission but I don't know how to connect this kind of entanglement with quantum computation, I have read in different articles that entanglement is somehow essential in applications like quantum communication & computation,so how is it helpful in quantum computation to entangle atomic system with its spontaneous emission?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know enough about quantum computing hardware to know the answer. However, in general, just because entanglement is present doesn't mean we can use it.

I don't know whether the definition of entanglement is fully settled, but these discussions seem reasonable to me. They give examples of entanglement that we cannot take advantage of if our apparatus is limited.
http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0206135
http://arxiv.org/abs/1009.4147

Related to Quantum computation and entanglement

What is quantum computation?

Quantum computation is a type of computing that uses quantum-mechanical phenomena, such as superposition and entanglement, to perform operations on data. It has the potential to solve certain problems much faster than classical computers.

What is entanglement in quantum computation?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in which two or more quantum particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle can affect the state of the other, even at great distances. In quantum computation, entanglement can be used to perform operations on multiple bits of information simultaneously, increasing the speed and efficiency of computations.

What is a qubit?

A qubit, short for quantum bit, is the basic unit of quantum information in quantum computation. It can exist in multiple states at once, known as superposition, and can be entangled with other qubits to perform complex operations. This is in contrast to classical bits, which can only exist in a single state of 0 or 1.

What are the potential applications of quantum computation?

Quantum computation has the potential to revolutionize fields such as cryptography, optimization, and simulation. It could also lead to more powerful artificial intelligence, improved drug design, and more accurate forecasting in finance and weather prediction.

What are the challenges in developing quantum computers?

One of the main challenges in developing quantum computers is maintaining the delicate quantum states required for computation. Any external interference or measurement can cause these states to collapse, leading to errors in calculations. Another challenge is scaling quantum systems to a larger number of qubits, as this increases the complexity of controlling and correcting for errors.