Quantization of electromagnetic field

In summary, in classical electrodynamics E and B are not canonical conjugate variables and are not sufficient to define the fields. P(x) corresponds to the electromagnetic field E(x) and B(x) can be expressed in terms of A(x) without any time derivative.
mritunjay
Instead of quantizing the vector potential A^μ why we do not directly quantize the B and E fields in electrodynamics.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can. The field Hamiltonian can be written as an integral of E2 + B2 (probably with some constants that I'm missing). Expand E and B in terms of Fourier modes and you'll end up with the Hamiltonian of the harmonic oscillator. Quantization follows.

Yes, the Hamiltonian is H = ½ ∫ (E2 + B2) d3x, but this is only a shorthand for the same expression written out in terms of A:

H = ½ ∫ (A·2 + (∇ x A)2) d3x

You still have to quantize using the canonical variables A and E ≡ A·.

Bill_K said:
You still have to quantize using the canonical variables A and E ≡ A·.
That's exactly the point.

Quantizing means to identify fundamental variables and to promote a classical Poisson bracket for canonical conjugate variables to a commutator. E and B are not canonical conjugate; it is not possible to express the (classical) dynamics using E and B.

Thanks a lot for the answer and useful comments. But can somebody explain to me why E and B are not canonically conjugate variables?

mritunjay said:
... can somebody explain to me why E and B are not canonically conjugate variables?
Let's look at some action S in terms of some variables x, y, ... and their time derivatives dx/dt, dy/dt, ...

The definiton of the canonical momentum is always

[tex]p_x = \frac{\delta S}{\delta \dot{x}}[/tex]

We then have the classical Poisson brackets

[tex]\{x,p_x\} = 1[/tex]

In case of electrodynamics the fundamental variable x is replaced by A(x); x is something like a "continuous index". That means that the canonical momentum is defined by

[tex]P^i(x) = \frac{\delta S}{\delta \dot{A}^i(x)}[/tex]

where i=1..3 is the i-th spatial direction.

Using the Lagrangian of electrodynamics one can show that P(x) corresponds to the electromagnetic field E(x). B(x) can be expressed in terms of A(x) w/o any time derivative, i.e .w/o using the canoncal conjugate momentum, so the fundamental variable is A(x) and the canonical conjugate momentum is E(x).

In addition E and B are not sufficient to define classical electrodynamics. The problem is that neither E nor B couple directly to the currents, but A does. The coupling term is

[tex]A_\mu j^\mu[/tex]

which cannot be formulated using only E and B.

Note that there is one problem, namely the missing time derivative in A°(x) and therefore the missing canonical conjugate momentum which makes A°(x) a Lagrangian multiplier (instead of a dynamical field) generating the time-independent Gauss constraint. This fact is closely related to gauge symmetry.

Last edited:

Related to Quantization of electromagnetic field

1. What is quantization of electromagnetic field?

Quantization of electromagnetic field is a theory in quantum mechanics that describes the discrete nature of electromagnetic radiation. It states that the energy of electromagnetic radiation is not continuous, but rather exists in small, discrete packets called photons.

2. Why is quantization of electromagnetic field important?

Quantization of electromagnetic field is important because it provides a more accurate description of the behavior of electromagnetic radiation. It allows for a better understanding of phenomena such as the photoelectric effect and the emission and absorption of light by atoms.

3. How does quantization of electromagnetic field relate to the wave-particle duality of light?

The concept of quantization of electromagnetic field is closely related to the wave-particle duality of light. It explains how light, which was previously thought to only exhibit wave-like behavior, also behaves as a particle (photon) when interacting with matter.

4. Can you provide an example of quantization of electromagnetic field in action?

One example of quantization of electromagnetic field in action is the measurement of the energy levels of electrons in an atom. The energy levels can only take on discrete values, which can be explained by the quantization of electromagnetic radiation.

5. Is quantization of electromagnetic field a proven theory?

Yes, quantization of electromagnetic field is a well-established theory that has been tested and supported by numerous experiments. It is an essential component of quantum mechanics, which is one of the most successful and extensively tested theories in physics.