Trying out Blacksmithing, specifically Damascus blades

• Thread starter sbrothy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    History
sbrothy
Gold Member
This may sound weird but after having watched "Forged in Fire" a bunch of times on History channel (Europe) I've developed a desire to try out blacksmithing, and I'm not normally what you would call a "hands-on" kinda guy. I'm not even sure I could swing a hammer long enough to make a dent in a piece of steel without developing a cramp.

Anyone else who've been tempted to try forging by this program?

(Unfortunately it's almost always followed by another program called "Ancient Astronauts" which gives me a migraine almost immediately. I've never before accidentally watched 2 minutes of a program which makes me downright angry, but this one does! I'm not gonna mention that name, but I'm sure you know who I mean. Looking at it hurts physically. Especially when they use the words "quantum mechanics"!

If I doze off I always wake up when I hear the phrase: "ancient astronauts theoreticians say yes!"

No. Just No.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you tell us what Flow-TV is?

Is it just scheduled TV ie watch an episode once a week?

or is it an app that gives you access to the History Channel in Europe?

On another note, I had a friend here get interested in black smithing and now he's about to get a job teaching it in a local community college. He's done some cool pieces that he shared on FB.

Likes BillTre
jedishrfu said:
Can you tell us what Flow-TV is?

Is it just scheduled TV ie watch an episode once a week?

or is it an app that gives you access to the History Channel in Europe?

On another note, I had a friend here get interested in black smithing and now he's about to get a job teaching it in a local community college. He's done some cool pieces that he shared on FB.
Oh, I thought the thread had been killed by the mods. With flow-TV I mean just ordinary TV. Non-streaming. The old kind.

But yes, I'm seriously considering setting up a forge from scratch. I've tried to find a place I can rent but they all seem to insist on me following some course where I have to start producing a beer-opener or some such.

And yes. This thread might fit better in the DIY forum. You mods do you.

I would argue for caution in starting with blacksmithing. Damascus work is moderate to high level craftsmanship, and requires a good understanding of how to do things like forge welding. I would suggest starting simple and working towards damascus over time.

Likes phinds and jedishrfu
You might try the Wood Barter forum. There are several blade-smiths there. I think a couple have even done Damascus.

I feel (arrogantly) informed and prepared although I surely expect most of my first attempts to look like garbage. I wouldn't mind paying for a place at an existing forge where there would be some experienced blacksmiths I could learn from, but I don't want to be forced to start out with, for instance, coal (although that might indeed be the right course for a beginner). In this city we have a fully functioning iron-age village which offers courses of this nature, but as I mentioned they'd expect me to start fixing wheel barrows and learning to forge horseshoes. That not what I have in mind.

I want to jump right into making my own katana (I'm joking here.)