Quadrupole TOF mass spectrometer axial frequency question

In summary, the conversation discusses whether an ion traveling through a quadrupole TOF MS will experience axial motion and if this motion can be detected using the right filter circuit. The person asking the question mentions searching for relevant literature, and the conversation also brings up the concept of ion motion in a penning trap as a comparison. The speaker also mentions difficulties with simulating this phenomenon.
jonlg_uk
Hi I have been searching the relevant literature but I cannot find if an ion traveling through a quadruple TOF MS will obtain an axial motion and frequency as a result? and will this axial motion induce a corresponding frequency on the HV rods that could be measured with the right filter circuit?

I thank you in advance

J

Physics news on Phys.org
I knew this question would be a long shot. But think about what happens in a penning trap, a quadrupole electric field induces an axial motion in the trapped ions. Why shouldn't this happen in a quadrupole TOF MS?

I just can get my simulation to show this :(

Related to Quadrupole TOF mass spectrometer axial frequency question

1. What is a quadrupole TOF mass spectrometer?

A quadrupole TOF (time-of-flight) mass spectrometer is a type of instrument used in analytical chemistry to determine the mass and abundance of particles in a sample. It operates by ionizing the sample and then separating the ions based on their mass-to-charge ratio.

2. How does a quadrupole TOF mass spectrometer work?

A quadrupole TOF mass spectrometer uses a combination of electric and magnetic fields to select and accelerate ions through a quadrupole mass filter. The ions then enter a TOF analyzer, which measures the time it takes for the ions to travel a known distance. This time is directly related to the mass-to-charge ratio of the ions, allowing for their identification and quantification.

3. What is the axial frequency in a quadrupole TOF mass spectrometer?

The axial frequency in a quadrupole TOF mass spectrometer refers to the frequency at which the ions oscillate back and forth along the axis of the quadrupole mass filter. This frequency is dependent on the strength of the applied electric and magnetic fields and is used to select specific ions for analysis.

4. Why is the axial frequency important in a quadrupole TOF mass spectrometer?

The axial frequency is important because it determines which ions will be selected and analyzed in the mass spectrometer. By varying the axial frequency, different ions can be targeted for analysis, allowing for a more comprehensive understanding of the sample composition.

5. How is the axial frequency controlled in a quadrupole TOF mass spectrometer?

The axial frequency is controlled by adjusting the strength of the electric and magnetic fields within the quadrupole mass filter. This can be done manually or through computer software, allowing for precise control over which ions are selected for analysis.