Quadrocopter Flight: Basic Criteria for Stable Flight

• Thread starter Fibo112
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flight
In summary, this conversation discusses the basic criteria for a stable flight of a quadrocopter. The quadrocopter has four horizontal propellers interconnected in a crosswise manner and a center of gravity with a control system and batteries attached. The propellers have the same moment of inertia, mass, and distance from the intersection point, but can rotate independently and have a proportional buoyancy. The first question asks for the rotation frequency of the quadrocopter as a function of the propeller masses and moments of inertia, while the second question asks for the relationship between the propeller rotation frequencies to prevent rotation about the center of gravity.
Fibo112

Homework Statement

In this task, the basic criteria that enable a stable flight of a quadrocopter are examined. Our quadrocopter consists of four horizontal propellers which are interconnected crosswise in a massless manner in the so-called + -configuration (see Fig. 1, right). In the center of gravity of the quadrocopter, the control and batteries of mass mS = 500 g are attached. The propellers should all have the same moment of inertia IP = 6000gmm2, the same mass (including motor) mP = 90g and the same distance from the intersection point R = 100mm. However, they can rotate independently in different directions and at different speeds. We also assume that the buoyancy of each propeller is independent of its direction of rotation. It should also be directly proportional to the speed with the proportionality constant cA = 0.02kg m / s.

a) Determine the rotational frequency of the quadrocopter ωQ as a function of the masses and the moments of inertia of the propeller IP.
b) What relationship must be met between the rotational frequencies of the propellers so that the quadrocopter does not rotate about its center of gravity? Suppose that the amount of all rotational speeds is the same. (the question has been translated from german to english using google translate)

Homework Equations

L=r x mv, T=r x F

The Attempt at a Solution

For a) I am assuming that the frequency wQ is referring to the quadcopter itself and not the propellers? I don't even really know how to begin solving this problem because to me it seems that I need more information about the Situation to know what the roational requency is..
With b) I am also having trouble understanding what is meant..

Attachments

• Serie11.pdf-1[1].png
    Serie11.pdf-1[1].png
    38.7 KB · Views: 528
Physics news on Phys.org
Fibo112 said:
a) Determine the rotational frequency of the quadrocopter ωQ as a function of the masses and the moments of inertia of the propeller IP.
b) What relationship must be met between the rotational frequencies of the propellers so that the quadrocopter does not rotate about its center of gravity? Suppose that the amount of all rotational speeds is the same. (the question has been translated from german to english using google translate)
I think that what it is saying is that if the four rotors start (from rest) to rotate at four independent rates and senses then, by conservation of angular momentum, the structure as a whole will start to rotate.
Part a) asks you to find the rotation rate of the structure that would result (as a function of the four unknown rotor rotations), and part b) just asks what the relationship must be between those four unknowns for the result to be zero.

for part a the rotor rate is not given...Am I supposed to use the rate required to prevent the center of mass from translating? Can I assume that the 4 rotor rates are equal for part a?

I am still very confused...dont I also need to know the velocity of the quadcopters center of mass for these calculations?

Fibo112 said:
for part a the rotor rate is not given...Am I supposed to use the rate required to prevent the center of mass from translating? Can I assume that the 4 rotor rates are equal for part a?
I see what you mean... it specifies the rate should be a function only of the masses and moments of inertia. That makes no sense to me... unless perhaps, assume all rotors are rotating the same direction at the same speed and the total lift is just sufficient to maintain a constant height.

Related to Quadrocopter Flight: Basic Criteria for Stable Flight

1. What is a quadrocopter?

A quadrocopter, also known as a quadcopter or quadrotor, is a multirotor helicopter that is lifted and propelled by four rotors arranged in a cross shape.

2. How does a quadrocopter achieve stable flight?

A quadrocopter achieves stable flight through a combination of aerodynamics and electronic stabilization systems. The four rotors produce lift and thrust, while the electronic systems adjust the speed and direction of each rotor to maintain balance and control.

3. What are the basic criteria for stable flight in a quadrocopter?

The basic criteria for stable flight in a quadrocopter include proper weight distribution, balanced thrust from each rotor, and precise control and stabilization systems. Additionally, the center of gravity should be located below the center of lift to prevent the quadrocopter from tilting.

4. How do you control a quadrocopter in flight?

A quadrocopter is typically controlled using a remote controller with joysticks or a smartphone app. The controller sends signals to the quadrocopter's electronic systems, which adjust the speed and direction of each rotor to move the quadrocopter in the desired direction.

5. What are some challenges in achieving stable flight with a quadrocopter?

Some challenges in achieving stable flight with a quadrocopter include wind or weather conditions, weight distribution, and power supply. Additionally, precise control and stabilization systems are necessary to maintain balance and control in flight.