QM Weinberg Probl 9.1: Solving for Eq of Motion with Defined Lagrangian

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of specific Lagrangian and the need to derive an equation of motion. The equations involved are shown, including the use of partial derivatives and the need to use the correct notation. The issue of defining curl in higher dimensions is also brought up. The conversation also briefly mentions the use of Hamiltonian and the search for the Schrodinger equation. A clear and complete problem description is requested for further discussion.
Kyueong-Hwang

Homework Statement

specific lagrangian is defined.
Have to get a equation of motion

Homework Equations

[/B]
Lagrangian is defined as

upload_2018-4-10_4-58-7.png

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

eq of motion that i drive like

upload_2018-4-10_5-1-15.png

i guess term of f(x) have to vanish or form a shape of curl.
but it didn't be clear.
May i did something wrong but i can't catch that...

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-10_4-58-7.png
    upload_2018-4-10_4-58-7.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 647
  • upload_2018-4-10_5-1-15.png
    upload_2018-4-10_5-1-15.png
    111.4 KB · Views: 576
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Kyueong-Hwang, :welcome:

I find it hard to read what you write after | )
You want ##\partial {\mathcal L}\over \partial x_i## so I expect to see a ##\partial x_i## in the denominator, not ##\partial x_i \; f(\vec x)## ?

Time to learn some ##\LaTeX## (item 7 here) !

Likes Kyueong-Hwang
$$ \frac {\partial \mathfrak {L}} {\partial x_i} =\frac {\partial \vec x} {\partial t} \cdot \partial x_i \vec f \left(\vec x \right) - \partial x_i V \left(\vec x \right)$$
$$ \frac {\partial} {\partial t} \left(\frac {\partial \mathfrak {L}} {\frac {\partial x_i} {\partial t}} \right)= m \ddot x_i + \vec \nabla f_i \left(\vec x \right) \cdot \frac {\partial \vec x} {\partial t}$$

I thought ##\LaTeX## is hard to do.
But its quite fun XD

so. with these eqs we can make euler-lagrangian, eq of motion.
I guess changing index i in ##x_i## to ##\vec x## yield that vanish or assemble terms of ##f \left(\vec x \right)##

Last edited:
if ##x_i## is a axis of 3-dim cartesian coordinate two ##f \left( \vec x \right)## terms yield ##\vec \nabla \times \vec f \left(\vec x \right)##
But there is no such statement assure that ##x_i## is 3-dim cartesian coordinate.

And someone in this forum site says in higher than 3 dimension curl is hard to define.
also on wiki only 3, 7 dimension define curl

$$\frac {\partial \mathfrak {L}} {\partial x_i} =\dot{ \vec x_i} {\partial f_i \left(\vec x \right)\over \partial x_i } - {\partial V \left(\vec x \right)\over \partial x_i }$$
don't write$$
\frac {\partial} {\partial t} \left(\frac {\partial \mathfrak {L}} {\frac {\partial x_i} {\partial t}} \right)$$for two reasons: 1. it is ##d\over dt##, not ##\partial\over \partial t##, and 2. this way you will mix up ##x_i## and ##\dot x_i## -- they should be treated as independent variables !

So $$
\frac {\partial \mathfrak {L}} {\partial \dot x_i} = m\dot x_i + \vec f_i(\vec x)$$

Kyueong-Hwang said:
if ##x_i## is a axis of 3-dim cartesian coordinate two ##f \left( \vec x \right)## terms yield ##\vec \nabla \times \vec f \left(\vec x \right)##
Curl doesn't appear here.

alright thanks
1, at latex q&a page i miss d notation so i use partial
2. \dot \vec x isn't work so i think x_i does too

ah
your right. my fault.

is there any way to make this eq more clear?
next question is to make hamiltonian and find Schrodinger eq.
It may should be more clear.

Kyueong-Hwang said:
is there any way to make this eq more clear?
Well, if ##\vec f(\vec x)## is time independent, you get ##m\ddot x = ... ##

Re Schr eq:
Please post a clear and complete problem description. For a different exercise, start a different thread.

Related to QM Weinberg Probl 9.1: Solving for Eq of Motion with Defined Lagrangian

1. What is the Lagrangian in quantum mechanics?

The Lagrangian in quantum mechanics is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a system in terms of its position and momentum. It is used to calculate the equations of motion for a system and can be derived from the system's Hamiltonian.

2. How do you solve for the equations of motion using the defined Lagrangian?

To solve for the equations of motion using the defined Lagrangian, you first need to determine the Lagrangian for the system. Then, you can use the Euler-Lagrange equations to find the equations of motion by taking the partial derivatives of the Lagrangian with respect to the position and momentum variables.

3. What is the importance of the Lagrangian in quantum mechanics?

The Lagrangian is important in quantum mechanics because it allows for a more elegant and efficient way of describing the dynamics of a system compared to the traditional Newtonian approach. It also allows for the use of symmetries and conservation laws to simplify the equations of motion.

4. Can the Lagrangian be used for any system in quantum mechanics?

Yes, the Lagrangian can be used for any system in quantum mechanics, as long as the system can be described in terms of position and momentum variables. However, in some cases, it may be more convenient to use alternative mathematical formulations, such as the Hamiltonian or Feynman path integral.

5. How is the Lagrangian related to the Hamiltonian in quantum mechanics?

The Lagrangian and Hamiltonian are related through the Legendre transformation. The Hamiltonian is the Legendre transform of the Lagrangian, which means it is calculated by taking the derivative of the Lagrangian with respect to the momentum variables instead of the position variables. They both describe the dynamics of a system, but the Hamiltonian is often preferred for its simplicity and connection to energy conservation.