QM uncertainties / probabilities and light

In summary, the conversation is about the application of quantum mechanics equations and principles to laser light. The question is whether the Schrodinger wave equation, probability calculations, and Heisenberg uncertainty principle apply to a beam of laser light, and if so, how. The conclusion is that while the energy in a laser beam is spread around a center value, it is too small to be accounted for in practical purposes.
Sparky_
Greetings,

In trying to even ask this question it’s obvious I don’t understand enough about the topic of QM and light.

Here is my attempt at my question:

If I shine a laser beam at a target or sensor – the electronics every time detects the beam. How do the Schrodinger wave equation and the probability calculations and Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle apply to this situation? I assume engineers do not do probability calculations in their circuits.

Does the Schrodinger wave equation and Heisenberg uncertainty principle not apply to a beam of light? (Is it because we are no longer talking about individual photons?)

Bottom line: how do the “main” quantum mechanics equations and principles apply to a beam of laser light?

Curious

Thanks
-Sparky_

Physics news on Phys.org
the energy in a laser beam is spread around a centre value in energy, but that spread is for all practical consequences too small to be accounted for.

Related to QM uncertainties / probabilities and light

1. What is the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a subatomic particle. This means that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less we know about its momentum, and vice versa.

2. How does the uncertainty principle relate to light?

The uncertainty principle also applies to light, as light can behave both as a particle (photon) and a wave. This means that the more precisely we know the location of a photon, the less we know about its momentum and vice versa. This is why we cannot accurately measure both the position and momentum of a photon at the same time.

3. What is the role of probabilities in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, probabilities play a crucial role in describing the behavior of subatomic particles. This is because, unlike classical mechanics where the state of a system can be precisely determined, quantum systems can exist in multiple states at the same time. Probabilities are used to describe the likelihood of a particle being in a particular state or having a particular property.

4. How are probabilities calculated in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, probabilities are calculated using mathematical equations known as wave functions. These equations describe the probability of a particle being in a specific state or having a specific property. The square of the wave function gives the probability density, which represents the likelihood of finding a particle at a given position or having a given momentum.

5. Can probabilities in quantum mechanics change?

Yes, probabilities in quantum mechanics can change. This is due to the probabilistic nature of quantum systems, where the state of a particle can change when it interacts with other particles or is measured. The wave function, which describes the probabilities of a particle, can also change over time, leading to changes in the probabilities of the particle's properties.