QM: psi(x,t) for Gaussian Wave Packet

In summary, the conversation is discussing the problem of finding the wave function, psi(x,t), for a free particle given an initial psi(x,0) function. The conversation includes equations for phi(k) and psi(x,t) and the attempt at a solution, which involves normalizing psi(x,0) and using the 'completing the square' method. Integration by parts is suggested, but it is not clear how it applies. The conversation ends with the suggestion to take a factor out of the integral and solve for the remaining integral.
Gumbercules

Homework Statement

For a free particle, Given psi(x,0) = Aexp(-ax^2), find psi(x,t)

Homework Equations

phi(k) = 1/(sqrt(2pi)) times integral from -inf to +inf (psi(x,0)exp(-ikx))dx
psi(x,t) = 1/(sqrt(2pi)) times integral from -inf to +inf (phi(k)exp(i(kx - (hk^2)t/2m)))dk
my apologies for the messy notation

The Attempt at a Solution

I have normalized psi(x,0) to get A = (pi/a)^-1/4 and have my psi(k) = (1/(sqrt(2pi))) ((pi/a)^-1/4) times integral from -inf to +inf (exp(-ax^2) exp(-ikx)) dx.

regrettably, my math is quite out of practice, and I am unsure how to proceed. the text says something about 'completing the square' which gives y = (sqrt(a))[x + (b/2a)], then ((ax^2) + bx) = (y^2) - (b^2)/4a. After this, integration by parts doesn't seem to help (or I'm missing something, which is quite likely). Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you need integration by parts? Maybe you've just been staring at QM too long. If A and B are c-numbers, then eAB=eAeB. One of these factors will come out of the integral.

Perhaps you are right Turin, I do feel a little braindead at the moment. Do you mean exp(a+b) = exp(a)exp(b)? In that case, I would take the exp((b^2)/4a) out of the integral, which would leave the integral from -inf to + inf (exp(-y^2)), which I can solve. My apologies if I have this wrong, maybe I should come back to it later.

Related to QM: psi(x,t) for Gaussian Wave Packet

1. What is a Gaussian wave packet in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, a Gaussian wave packet refers to a type of wave function that describes the probability of finding a particle at a particular position and time. It is characterized by a bell-shaped curve and is used to represent a localized particle in space.

2. How is the position of a particle described by psi(x,t) for a Gaussian wave packet?

The position of a particle described by psi(x,t) for a Gaussian wave packet is given by the center of the bell-shaped curve. This is the most probable position of the particle, with the probability decreasing as the distance from the center increases.

3. What does the time component of psi(x,t) represent in a Gaussian wave packet?

The time component of psi(x,t) represents the evolution of the wave function over time. It describes how the probability of finding a particle at a particular position changes as time passes.

4. How does the spread of a Gaussian wave packet change over time?

The spread of a Gaussian wave packet increases over time due to the quantum uncertainty principle. This means that as time passes, the probability of finding a particle at a particular position becomes more and more uncertain.

5. Can the shape of a Gaussian wave packet change over time?

Yes, the shape of a Gaussian wave packet can change over time. This is because the wave function is a dynamic quantity and can be affected by external factors such as interactions with other particles or external forces. However, the overall bell-shaped curve will still be maintained.