QM problem, operators and tensors math

In summary: Originally posted by AHolicoIn summary, we are given a system of two spin-(1/2) particles and asked to show that the operator P = (S · r)^2 / r^2 is a projection operator. We begin by expanding P and checking its properties, namely P^2 = P and P^+ = P. However, we encounter difficulties in finding the correct form of P since we are missing the labels for the spin operators of the particles. Once we correctly label the operators as 1 and 2, we can express P as a vector and proceed to square it. However, we must also consider that we are dealing with a 2-particle system, which further complicates the calculation. In
AHolico
Let [tex]\mathbf{S} = [/tex][tex]\mbox{$\frac {1}{2}$}[/tex][tex](\sigma_1 + \sigma_2)[/tex] be the total spin of a system of two spin-(1/2) particles.

a) Show that [tex]\mathbf{P} \equiv (\mathbf{S} \cdot \mathbf{r})^2 / {r^2}[/tex] is a projection operator

b) Show that tensor operator [tex]S_1_2[/tex][tex] = 2(3P - \mathbf{S}^2)[/tex] satisfies [tex]S_1_2[/tex][tex] ^2 = 4\mathbf{S}^2 - 2[/tex][tex]S_1_2[/tex]

c) Show that the eigenvalues of [tex]S_1_2[/tex] are 0, 2 and -4

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm stuck at the first part, and have no idea on how to proceed. I know that if [tex]P[/tex] is a projection operator, then [tex]P^2 = P[/tex] and [tex]P^+ = P[/tex]. So, the first thing I do is expand P to check these properties. First thing I did is getting that [tex]r^2[/tex] inside of the dot product, leaving me with [tex]\mathbf{P} \equiv (\mathbf{S} \cdot \mathbf{n})^2[/tex], where n is an unitary vector.

[tex]\mathbf{S} = \frac{1}{2} (\sigma_1 + \sigma_2) = \frac{1}{2}\left[ \left(\begin{array}{cc}0 & 1\\1 & 0\end{array}\right) + \left(\begin{array}{cc}0 & -i\\i & 0\end{array}\right)\right] = \frac{1}{2}\left(\begin{array}{cc}0 & 1-i\\1+i & 0\end{array}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\mathbf{n} = \left(\begin{array}{c} cos \theta \\ sin \theta \end{array}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\mathbf{S} \cdot \mathbf{n} = \frac{1}{2}\left(\begin{array}{cc}0 & 1-i\\1+i & 0\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c} cos \theta \\ sin \theta \end{array}\right) = \frac{1}{2}\left(\begin{array}{c} sin \theta - i sin \theta\\ cos \theta + i cos \theta \end{array}\right)[/tex]

Now, to square it... should I (a) just multiply that vector by itself, or (b) multiply it complex conjungate and the vector?

a)[tex]\frac {1}{4}\left(sin \theta - i sin \theta , cos \theta + i cos \theta \right) \left( \begin{array}{c} sin \theta - i sin \theta\\ cos \theta + i cos \theta \end{array}\right) = \frac{i}{2}\left(\begin{array}{c} -sin \theta \\ cos \theta \end{array}\right)[/tex]

I thiunk this is not a proyection operator because [tex]P^+ = P[/tex].

b)[tex]\frac {1}{4}\left(sin \theta + i sin \theta , cos \theta - i cos \theta \right) \left( \begin{array}{c} sin \theta - i sin \theta\\ cos \theta + i cos \theta \end{array}\right) = \frac{1}{2}\left(\begin{array}{c} sin^2 \theta \\ cos^2 \theta \end{array}\right)[/tex]

But clearly this is not a proyection operator because [tex]P^2 = P[/tex]

In some book I found that [tex]\vec{\sigma} \cdot \vec{n} = \sigma_1 sin \theta cos \phi + \sigma_2 sin \theta sin \phi + \sigma_3 cos \theta[/tex]
If I follow this approach then
[tex]\mathbf{S} \cdot \mathbf{n} = \frac {1}{2} \sigma_1 cos \theta + \frac {1}{2} \sigma_2 sin \theta[/tex]
[tex](\mathbf{S} \cdot \mathbf{n})^2 = \frac {1}{4} \sigma_1^2 cos^2 \theta + \frac {1}{4} \sigma_2^2 sin^2 \theta + \frac {1}{4} \sigma_1 \sigma_2 sin \theta cos \theta + \frac {1}{4} \sigma_2 \sigma_1 sin \theta cos \theta [/tex]
[tex](\mathbf{S} \cdot \mathbf{n})^2 = \frac {1}{4} \mathbb{I}[/tex]

The identity matrix is a projection operator, but that constant in front of it is giving me problems. What I'm doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by AHolico
[tex]\mathbf{S} = \frac{1}{2} (\sigma_1 + \sigma_2) = \frac{1}{2}\left[ \left(\begin{array}{cc}0 & 1\\1 & 0\end{array}\right) + \left(\begin{array}{cc}0 & -i\\i & 0\end{array}\right)\right] = \frac{1}{2}\left(\begin{array}{cc}0 & 1-i\\1+i & 0\end{array}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\mathbf{n} = \left(\begin{array}{c} cos \theta \\ sin \theta \end{array}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\mathbf{S} \cdot \mathbf{n} = \frac{1}{2}\left(\begin{array}{cc}0 & 1-i\\1+i & 0\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c} cos \theta \\ sin \theta \end{array}\right) = \frac{1}{2}\left(\begin{array}{c} sin \theta - i sin \theta\\ cos \theta + i cos \theta \end{array}\right)[/tex]

Now, to square it... should I (a) just multiply that vector by itself, or (b) multiply it complex conjungate and the vector?

Hold on. It appears that you are not writing P as a vector. If you are working in 2D (are you allowed to assume that?), then you should write P as:

P=(1/2)(Pxi+Pyj)
P=(1/2)[(σ1x+σ2x)i+(σ1y+σ2y)j]

But what you have done here is add the σx and σy without paying attention to the fact that they are components of a vector.

Edit to add: You also seem to be ignoring the fact that you have a 2-particle system. I think you are getting the labels "1" and "2" mixed up with the components of σ, when in fact they are the labels for the spin operators of particles 1 and 2, respectively.

Last edited:

Any help will be appreciated.

There are a few mistakes in your calculations. First, the definition of \mathbf{P} should be (\mathbf{S} \cdot \mathbf{r})^2 / r^2, not (\mathbf{S} \cdot \mathbf{n})^2 as you have written. This is because we want \mathbf{P} to be a function of the position vector \mathbf{r}, not just a unit vector \mathbf{n}.

Next, your calculation for \mathbf{S} \cdot \mathbf{n} is incorrect. Remember that \mathbf{S} is a matrix, so we can't just multiply it by a vector like \mathbf{n}. Instead, we need to use the dot product formula \mathbf{A} \cdot \mathbf{B} = A_x B_x + A_y B_y + A_z B_z. In this case, we have \mathbf{S} = \frac{1}{2}(\sigma_1 + \sigma_2) and \mathbf{n} = (sin \theta cos \phi, sin \theta sin \phi, cos \theta). Plugging these into the dot product formula gives

\mathbf{S} \cdot \mathbf{n} = \frac{1}{2}\left(\begin{array}{cc}0 & 1-i\\1+i & 0\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c} sin \theta cos \phi\\ sin \theta sin \phi \end{array}\right) = \frac{1}{2}\left(\begin{array}{c} sin \theta sin \phi - i sin \theta cos \phi\\ sin \theta cos \phi + i sin \theta sin \phi \end{array}\right)

Squaring this vector gives

(\mathbf{S} \cdot \mathbf{n})^2 = \frac{1}{4}\left(sin^2 \theta sin^2 \phi + sin^2 \theta cos^2 \phi - 2sin \theta cos \theta sin \phi cos \phi \right) = \frac{1}{4}sin^2 \theta

This is not a projection operator because it is not equal to its own square.

To find the correct projection operator, we need

Related to QM problem, operators and tensors math

1. What is the QM problem in quantum mechanics?

The QM problem refers to the fundamental challenge of understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level. This includes phenomena such as wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, and the collapse of the wave function.

2. What are operators in quantum mechanics?

Operators in quantum mechanics are mathematical tools used to represent physical observables such as position, momentum, and energy. They act on the wave function of a quantum system and provide information about the properties of the system.

3. How are tensors used in quantum mechanics?

Tensors are used in quantum mechanics to represent the physical quantities and their relationships in a higher-dimensional space. They are used to describe the spin of particles, angular momentum, and other quantum properties.

4. What is the role of math in quantum mechanics?

Math is the language of quantum mechanics and plays a crucial role in understanding and describing the behavior of particles at the quantum level. The use of mathematical concepts such as complex numbers, linear algebra, and differential equations is essential in solving problems and making predictions in quantum mechanics.

5. How do operators and tensors relate in quantum mechanics?

Operators and tensors are closely related in quantum mechanics as operators are often represented by tensors in higher-dimensional spaces. Tensors also play a crucial role in transforming the wave function of a quantum system under the action of operators, allowing us to calculate physical observables.