(QM) Number of states with Energy less than E

In summary: The idea is that if you have a state ##n_x, n_y, n_z##, then you could look at that as a point in 3D space. Then it's a question of how many points lie within a given volume.
iakmngle
Homework Statement
Give an expression for the number of states, N , having energy less than some given E .
Assume N >> 1.
Relevant Equations
$$
\psi (x,y,z) \equiv A
\sin{\left(\frac{n_x \pi x}{a} \right)}
\sin{\left(\frac{n_y \pi y}{a} \right)}
\sin{\left(\frac{n_z \pi z}{a} \right)}
$$
Hi, so I'm having trouble with a homework problem where it asks me to find the number of states with an energy less than some given E.
Screenshot at 2020-04-14 01-50-22.png

From this, I was able to work out the energy E to be
$$
E = \frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\pi^2}{a^2} \left(
n_x^2 + n_y^2 + n_z^2
\right)
$$
and also find the energy of the ground and first excited states respectively by replacing (nx,ny,nz) with (1,1,1) and (1,1,2).

I've attempted to rearrange the equation as below, but am not really sure about where to go next.
$$
n_x^2 + n_y^2 + n_z^2 = \frac{2m E a^2}{\hbar^2 \pi^2}
$$

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I see any obvious way you could count up the states in this case. I have a vague recollection of looking at this once, but I can't help I'm afraid.

Is that the whole question?

PeroK said:
I'm not sure I see any obvious way you could count up the states in this case. I have a vague recollection of looking at this once, but I can't help I'm afraid.

Is that the whole question?

There were a few questions leading up to this such as find the ground and first state. But the question is pretty much this.

iakmngle said:
There were a few questions leading up to this such as find the ground and first state. But the question is pretty much this.
They say to consider the case ##N \gg 1##. In that limit, the integer ##n_x,n_y,n_z## can be thought as forming a dense set, so think of them as ##x,y,z##. Now, does the expression ##x^2 + y^2 +z^2## remind you of something?

Likes iakmngle and etotheipi
nrqed said:
They say to consider the case ##N \gg 1##. In that limit, the integer ##n_x,n_y,n_z## can be thought as forming a dense set, so think of them as ##x,y,z##. Now, does the expression ##x^2 + y^2 +z^2## remind you of something?
I guess we are looking for a rough estimate rather than an expression? An expression suggests to me that we can count them precisely.

• Informative
Likes etotheipi
nrqed said:

That would be a sphere at the origin with a radius of $$\sqrt{\frac{2 E m a^2}{h^2 \pi^2}}$$. I'm not too sure what to do with this, could it be something with the density?

iakmngle said:
That would be a sphere at the origin with a radius of $$\sqrt{\frac{2 E m a^2}{h^2 \pi^2}}$$. I'm not too sure what to do with this, could it be something with the density?
The idea is that if you have a state ##n_x, n_y, n_z##, then you could look at that as a point in 3D space. Then it's a question of how many points lie within a given volume.

Last edited:
Likes nrqed and etotheipi

Related to (QM) Number of states with Energy less than E

1. What is the significance of the number of states with energy less than E in quantum mechanics?

The number of states with energy less than E in quantum mechanics is an important quantity that helps us understand the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It represents the maximum number of ways in which a system can distribute its energy among its different states at a given energy level.

2. How is the number of states with energy less than E related to the probability of finding a particle in a particular state?

The number of states with energy less than E is directly proportional to the probability of finding a particle in a particular state. This means that the higher the number of states with energy less than E, the higher the chances of finding a particle in a specific state.

3. Can the number of states with energy less than E ever be zero?

No, the number of states with energy less than E can never be zero. This is because even at the lowest energy level, there will always be at least one state available for a particle to occupy. This is known as the ground state and it has the lowest possible energy for a system.

4. How does the number of states with energy less than E change with increasing energy levels?

The number of states with energy less than E increases with increasing energy levels. This is because as the energy level increases, more states become available for a particle to occupy, leading to a higher number of possible energy distributions.

5. Is the number of states with energy less than E a discrete or continuous quantity?

The number of states with energy less than E is a discrete quantity. This means that it can only take on certain specific values and cannot have any values in between. This is because energy levels in quantum mechanics are quantized, meaning they can only have certain discrete values.