QM: Ladder Operators Explained Step-by-Step

In summary: I don't know what the particle is called. I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to apply the cyclic operator to it that won't break PT symmetry.In summary, nrqed asked for a tutorial on how to use the ladder operators, but is having trouble understanding the non-hermitian matrix form. He suggests looking at a textbook or website, but is unsure which one.
sillystring
I am taking a QM course and we are using griffiths intro to QM text, 2nd edition. I like the text but I find it lacking when it comes to explaining ladder operators. I need to see how to use them in a very detailed step-by-step problem. Does anyone know of any good textbooks or websites that explain the ladder operators very well?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Ladder operators ( also called creation and annhiliation operators) operate on Fock space vectors. You can make a toy Fock space and see the action of the ladder operators like this -

Lets say our field has a mode that has 5 energy levels. So the vectors
(1, 0, 0, 0, 0 ), ( 0, 1, 0, 0, 0 ), (0, 0, 1, 0, 0 ), ( 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, ), (0, 0, 0, 0, 1 ) form a basis for the Fock space. The ladder operators look like -

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccccc} 0 &1 &0 &0 &0 \\0 &0 &1 &0 &0\\0 &0 &0 &1 &0 \\0 &0 &0 &0 &1\\1 &0 &0 &0 &0\end{array}\right)
[/tex]

The other operators has the 1's below the principal diagonal. Try multiplying an operator into a basis vector.

This may not be be a great analogy, so don't take it too literally.

Last edited:
sillystring said:
I am taking a QM course and we are using griffiths intro to QM text, 2nd edition. I like the text but I find it lacking when it comes to explaining ladder operators. I need to see how to use them in a very detailed step-by-step problem. Does anyone know of any good textbooks or websites that explain the ladder operators very well?
Thanks

I created a web page at one time for various purposes, one of which was to demonstrate a use of the creation and annihilation (ladder) operators. Please see - http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/qm/harmonic_oscillator.htm - and let me know if it was helpful.

Pete

once you have derived the solution to the QHO in terms of the hermite polynomials, you will come to appreciate simplicity and elegance of the ladder operators!

(if only we had ladder operators available to us analytically for more complex systems).

also, since a field can be constructed as a collection of harmonic oscillators, in the limit of quantization the operators become enormously useful and are the basis for much of QFT and QED.

Sakurai does a great job discussing creation and annihilation operators, but if you're using Griffith's abomination then Sakurai may be a bit of a stretch. Shankar also does an okay job of it, but you have to slog through more verbiage than any textbook should ever have to get it.

Mentz114 said:
Ladder operators ( also called creation and annhiliation operators) operate on Fock space vectors. You can make a toy Fock space and see the action of the ladder operators like this -

Lets say our field has a mode that has 5 energy levels. So the vectors
(1, 0, 0, 0, 0 ), ( 0, 1, 0, 0, 0 ), (0, 0, 1, 0, 0 ), ( 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, ), (0, 0, 0, 0, 1 ) form a basis for the Fock space. The ladder operators look like -

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccccc} 0 &1 &0 &0 &0 \\0 &0 &1 &0 &0\\0 &0 &0 &1 &0 \\0 &0 &0 &0 &1\\1 &0 &0 &0 &0\end{array}\right)
[/tex]

The other operators has the 1's below the principal diagonal. Try multiplying an operator into a basis vector.

This may not be be a great analogy, so don't take it too literally.
Just to point out a typo: there should be no "1" in the lower left corner fo the matrix. I am sure this is just a typo.

Hi nrqed,
actually I put in deliberately to make the operator cyclic. The last row takes
the vector (1,0,0,0,0 ) to (0,0,0,0,1), back to the beginning, so to speak.
In real situations the dimension is unbounded so you don't need this trick.

So strictly speaking, you're right, it shouldn't there.

Mentz114 said:
Hi nrqed,
actually I put in deliberately to make the operator cyclic. The last row takes
the vector (1,0,0,0,0 ) to (0,0,0,0,1), back to the beginning, so to speak.
In real situations the dimension is unbounded so you don't need this trick.

So strictly speaking, you're right, it shouldn't there.

This gets to a subject I've been trying to understand recently, perhaps you can help. The subject is possible extensions of the standard mass term in QFT. The usual is

[tex]m(\psi^\dag_L\psi_R + \psi^\dag_R\psi_L)[/tex]

this corresponds, in your matrix notation, to a cyclic operator:
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}0&1\\1&0\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Now the above is a nice operator because it is Hermitian. What I'd like to know is how one would deal with a mass operator whose matrix form looks like the cyclic matrix you wrote down, which is non Hermitian. Non Hermitian operators are associated with violations of PT symmetry, which is why they are of some interest in elementary particles.

The particle I'd like to apply this to is the neutrino. The idea is to give the neutrino low mass by assuming a bunch of sterile neutrinos. There would be one state, [tex]\psi_L[/tex] that suffers the weak interaction, everything else is sterile. All the sterile neutrinos would, of course, be unobservable. My reason for looking at this is to find a way to explain the low mass of the neutrino in the context of density operator formalism.

Carl

Mentz114 said:
Ladder operators ( also called creation and annhiliation operators) operate on Fock space vectors.

Eh? I thought that ladder operators (namely [itex]J_{\pm}=J_x\pm iJ_y[/itex]) operate on angular momentum eigenstates. Or are you alluding to Wigner's oscillator model of angular momentum?

Tom Mattson said:
Eh? I thought that ladder operators (namely [itex]J_{\pm}=J_x\pm iJ_y[/itex]) operate on angular momentum eigenstates. Or are you alluding to Wigner's oscillator model of angular momentum?

Nope, "ladder operators" refers to the operators appearing both in the theory of harmonic oscillator and the theory of the hydrogen atom, to name 2 other examples.

PMB's webpage, (URL above ) gives a very clear exposition of the ladder ops for the SHO. Very nice. A lot easier to follow than Dirac.

Last edited:
I am processing all this information, the post by pmb_phy has proven very helpful so far

Related to QM: Ladder Operators Explained Step-by-Step

1. What are ladder operators in quantum mechanics?

Ladder operators are mathematical operators used in quantum mechanics to describe the properties and behavior of a quantum system. They are used to represent the creation and annihilation of particles and to calculate the energy levels and transitions within a system.

2. How do ladder operators work?

Ladder operators work by acting on a quantum state to either raise or lower its energy level. The raising operator increases the energy of the state by a fixed amount, while the lowering operator decreases it by the same amount. These operators are based on the concept of quantized energy levels in quantum systems.

3. What is the significance of ladder operators in quantum mechanics?

Ladder operators are significant in quantum mechanics because they provide a way to describe and understand the behavior of quantum systems. They allow us to calculate energy levels and transitions, and they also play a crucial role in the mathematical formulation of quantum mechanics.

4. How are ladder operators related to the uncertainty principle?

Ladder operators are related to the uncertainty principle in that they represent the fundamental uncertainty in the energy of a quantum system. The raising and lowering operators do not have a definite value, and their use in calculations reflects the inherent uncertainty in the energy of a quantum state.

5. Can ladder operators be used to solve quantum mechanical problems?

Yes, ladder operators can be used to solve a variety of quantum mechanical problems, particularly those involving energy levels and transitions. They provide a powerful mathematical tool for describing and analyzing the behavior of quantum systems and are an essential part of quantum mechanics theory.