QM: Does $\frac{d\psi}{dx} \rightarrow 0$ at ±infinity?

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm
In summary, the conversation discusses the condition for a wave function to be normalizable and the requirement for it to go to zero at infinity. The derivative of the wave function must also go to zero at infinity in order to calculate expectation values of momentum. This is necessary for the wave function to have physical meaning and for useful physical information to be obtained from it. There is a question about the reason for this requirement and a counter-example is provided, but it is later determined that the counter-example is not normalizable. The conversation ends with a discussion about the relationship between the wave function and expectation values of position and momentum.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Is it always true that

[tex]\frac{d\psi}{dx} \rightarrow 0[/tex]

(at ±infinity)? And if so, why?

I know that for a wave function to be normalizable, we must have psi-->0 at ±infinity but as far as i can see, that does not imply that the derivative will be 0. A counter-exemple of this is a decreasing "sine-like" function with an oscillation frequency inversely proportional to its amplitude. For instance

[tex]\psi(x) = A(x)sin(x/A(x))[/tex]

for x>=0, and

[tex]\psi(x) = \psi(-x)[/tex]

for x<0., with

[tex]A(x) = e^{-x}[/tex]

This function goes to zero at ±infinity but it's derivative is wild at ±infinity.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is your example even normalizable? Anyway one intuitive way of looking at this is that since infinity isn't really a well defined position i.e. inf+1 is still inf so the derivative must be zero at inf. This is a mathematical abomination though.

Thx inha. I'd forgotten that my counter example had to be normalizable to be valid. Maybe there is a way to show that for psi normalizable, the derivative go to zero, thus getting rid of the abomination.

And another question of the same type: what is the reason that psi must go to zero at infinity faster than any power of x?

Is this also true of [itex]d\psi/dx[/itex]? If so, I also ask why.

Thx!

The only reason I can think of right now is that Psi has to go to zero faster than any power of x goes to infinity is so that expectation values of x. Since the wave function has no physical meaning by itself, there is the obvious requirement that it be a function such that it is possible to perform on it the operations that result in useful physical information.

The derivatives of Psi must go to zero at infinity to calculate expectation values of momentum. Although the derivatives don't need to go to zero faster than any power of x goes to infinity for <p> calculations, it may still be true.

Related to QM: Does $\frac{d\psi}{dx} \rightarrow 0$ at ±infinity?

1. What does the equation $\frac{d\psi}{dx} \rightarrow 0$ at ±infinity mean?

This equation represents the behavior of a wavefunction in quantum mechanics at the boundaries of a system. It indicates that the rate of change of the wavefunction approaches zero as the position of the particle approaches positive or negative infinity.

2. Why is it important to consider the behavior of the wavefunction at infinity?

The behavior of the wavefunction at infinity is important because it affects the overall shape and properties of the wavefunction. It also plays a crucial role in determining the probability of finding a particle in a specific region of space.

3. Does the equation $\frac{d\psi}{dx} \rightarrow 0$ at ±infinity apply to all systems in quantum mechanics?

Yes, this equation is a fundamental property of all wavefunctions in quantum mechanics. It applies to all systems, regardless of their size, shape, or energy level.

4. Can the wavefunction ever reach exactly zero at infinity?

No, the wavefunction can only approach zero at infinity, but it can never reach exactly zero. This is because the wavefunction must remain finite at all points in space in order to satisfy the normalization condition.

5. How does the behavior of the wavefunction at infinity affect the uncertainty principle?

The behavior of the wavefunction at infinity is directly related to the uncertainty principle. As the wavefunction approaches zero at infinity, it becomes more localized, reducing the uncertainty in the particle's position. However, this also increases the uncertainty in the particle's momentum, as determined by the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.