QFT- Compton Scattering Crossection

In summary, the conversation involves a person working through the derivation of the Compton scattering crossection and getting stuck partway through. They are following along with Zee section II.8 and have two diagrams contributing to order e^2. They need to find the crossection by squaring the total amplitude, but are unsure how to get to the term proportional to (k\epsilon')^2. The expert suggests using the fact that the trace of an odd number of gamma matrices is always zero and using the anti-commutation relations for the gamma matrices to rearrange the terms in the trace and get the desired result.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I'm working through the derivation of the Compton scattering crossection and I'm getting stuck partway through. More details below:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I'm following along with Zee section II.8.

We have two diagrams that contribute to order e^2, one that corresponds to the following amplitude:

[tex]A(\epsilon',k',\epsilon,k)=ie^2\bar{u}'\frac{{\not}\epsilon' {\not} \epsilon {\not} k}{2pk}u[/tex]

The other diagram corresponds to [itex]A(\epsilon,-k,\epsilon',k')[/itex]

Now, I want to find the crossection, which means I have to square the total amplitude, so I end up with a term like:

[tex]|A(\epsilon',k',\epsilon,k)|^2=\frac{e^4}{(2pk)^2} Tr(u'\bar{u}' {\not}\epsilon' {\not} \epsilon{\not}k u\bar{u} {\not}k {\not} \epsilon {\not}\epsilon') [/tex]

[tex]=\frac{e^4}{(2pk)^2} Tr(({\not}p'+m) {\not}\epsilon' {\not} \epsilon{\not}k ({\not}p +m ){\not}k {\not} \epsilon {\not}\epsilon') [/tex]From here, we simplify, and multiply everything out. The m^2 term drops out because [itex]{\not}k{\not}k=k^2=\mu^2=0[/itex] where mu is the photon mass.

The [itex]{\not}p m[/itex] terms involve odd numbers of gamma matrices and thus drop out when we take the trace. So, we're left with:

[tex]=\frac{e^4}{(2pk)^2} Tr({\not}p' {\not}\epsilon' {\not} \epsilon{\not}k {\not}p{\not}k {\not} \epsilon {\not}\epsilon') [/tex]

Now we simplify using the normalization for the polarization vectors and the anti commutation relations. We get down to:

[tex]=\frac{e^4}{(2pk)} Tr({\not}p' {\not}\epsilon' {\not} {\not}k {\not} \epsilon) =4\frac{e^4}{(2pk)}(2(k\epsilon')^2 +k'p))[/tex]

This last step is where I am getting stuck. I can fill in all the gaps up to this point. This is what I do:

I anticommute the k and epsilon' and then use the normalization [itex]{\not}\epsilon'^2=-1[/itex]

Thus, I am left with:

[tex]=4\frac{e^4}{(2pk)}Tr({\not}p'(2k\epsilon') {\not} \epsilon'+{\not}p'{\not}k)[/tex]

I don't see how I can get to the result given in the line above. The factor of four comes from the trace over the gamma matrices, but specifically, how do I get a term proportional to [itex](k\epsilon')^2[/itex]

I think I have to express p' in terms of p and k', but I still don't see how I can get to the answer given.

Thanks alot. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! It looks like you're on the right track with your derivation. To get to the result given in the line above, you can use the fact that the trace of an odd number of gamma matrices is always zero. This means that the only term that contributes to the trace is the one with all even numbers of gamma matrices, which is the term proportional to (k\epsilon')^2.

To get to this term, you can use the anti-commutation relations for the gamma matrices and the fact that {\not}p'={\not}p - {\not}k + {\not}k'. This will allow you to rearrange the terms in the trace and get the desired result.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or if you'd like me to go into more detail. Good luck with your derivation!

Related to QFT- Compton Scattering Crossection

1. What is QFT- Compton Scattering Crossection?

QFT- Compton Scattering Crossection is a concept in quantum field theory (QFT) that describes the probability of a scattering event occurring between a photon and a charged particle. It is an important tool for understanding the interactions between particles and is used in various fields such as particle physics and astrophysics.

2. How is QFT- Compton Scattering Crossection calculated?

The calculation of QFT- Compton Scattering Crossection involves applying the principles of quantum field theory to the interaction between a photon and a charged particle. This involves taking into account factors such as the energy and momentum of the particles, as well as the coupling constant that determines the strength of their interaction.

3. What is the significance of QFT- Compton Scattering Crossection in particle physics?

QFT- Compton Scattering Crossection is an essential tool for studying the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It allows scientists to make predictions about the likelihood of interactions between particles, which can then be compared to experimental results to test the validity of theoretical models.

4. How does QFT- Compton Scattering Crossection relate to Compton scattering?

QFT- Compton Scattering Crossection is directly related to Compton scattering, which is the process of a photon being scattered off of a charged particle. The crossection is a measure of the probability of this scattering event occurring and is dependent on factors such as the energy and angle of the scattered photon.

5. What are some practical applications of QFT- Compton Scattering Crossection?

QFT- Compton Scattering Crossection has numerous applications in various fields such as particle physics, astrophysics, and medical imaging. It is used to understand the behavior of particles in high-energy collisions, the interactions of particles in astrophysical environments, and in the development of imaging techniques such as X-ray and PET scans.