QED vs Three Roads to Quantum Gravity: Which is Better?

• Thread starter relativelyslow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Qed
In summary, QED is recommended as an excellent book on quantum mechanics, while Three Roads to Quantum Gravity is focused on the connection between quantum mechanics and relativity. Both books are on different topics and have different approaches. Additionally, QED does not mention gravity.
relativelyslow
is QED a good book? i was originally looking at three roads to quantum gravity, but on amazon.com someone said qed was better. are they both on the same topic? if anyone has any insight i would appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
QED is an excellent book. I think everyone who is interested in quantum mechanics should get it. Those books are not at all about the same topic. Feynman's book is mostly about the properties of light. (QED is the theory about electrons, positrons and photons). I don't think it mentions gravity at all.

I just finished QED ... excellent book for non-phycisists.

Speaking of which, can anyone recommend a good follow-up book on the subject?

in reading the back and very little of the prologue, three roads to quantum gravity appears to attempt to find a link between quantum mechanics and relativity, or at least pose the problem and information. i may have to check qed out at the library

Related to QED vs Three Roads to Quantum Gravity: Which is Better?

1. What is QED and Three Roads to Quantum Gravity?

QED stands for Quantum Electrodynamics, which is a theory that explains the interactions between light and matter. Three Roads to Quantum Gravity refers to three different approaches to developing a theory of quantum gravity, which is a theory that attempts to reconcile the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics.

2. Which theory is considered better?

There is currently no consensus on which theory is better. QED has been extensively tested and is considered one of the most successful theories in physics. However, it has not been able to successfully incorporate gravity. The three roads to quantum gravity are still in the early stages of development and have not been extensively tested.

3. What are the three roads to quantum gravity?

The three roads to quantum gravity are string theory, loop quantum gravity, and causal dynamical triangulation. Each approach takes a different approach to incorporating gravity into the framework of quantum mechanics.

4. Can QED and Three Roads to Quantum Gravity be combined?

There have been attempts to combine QED and the three roads to quantum gravity, but a successful unification has not yet been achieved. One of the main challenges is that the theories use different mathematical frameworks and it is difficult to reconcile them.

5. How does the debate between QED and Three Roads to Quantum Gravity impact our understanding of the universe?

The debate between QED and Three Roads to Quantum Gravity is important because it could potentially lead to a theory that explains all of the fundamental forces in the universe, including gravity. Understanding the nature of the universe at a fundamental level can help us answer important questions about the origins and behavior of the universe.