Q regarding Quantum decoherence, r.e. double slit experiment

In summary, the conversation is about quantum decoherence and its experimental demonstration using simple apparatus. The question is raised about the pattern that would result if the plywood bit of the experiment was removed. There is discussion about the behavior of a single electron with no intervening structure, and the possibility of developing patterns resembling a concentric circle or a shaded circle when observed.
VCortex
Hi all,

My limited knowledge of quantum decoherence leads me to believe that it can be demonstrated experimentally via rather humble apparatus involving low power lightbulbs, a few sensors, & some plywood with holes in & some switches etc.

I was just wondering what kind of pattern you get if you removed the plywood bit of the experiment; do you get a totally random scatter in an undefinable area, a random scatter within a circumference, a shaded circle diffusing towards the edge, a picture of Elvis etc?

Preemptive thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I know my nooby question is being battled out elsewhere (it's kind of hard to know where to insert yourself with all the different opinions and ideas floating around), but this has got to be an easy question for someone to give a solid answer to hasn't it!?

So far from other posts, I gather that a single electron with no intervening structure would have a random scatter at the end plate, right? Very particular.
So, let's say we have the same apparatus, but the end plate is bigger (like a cinema screen, we can call it the Big Screen Electron Absorptionator).

Surely, at some scale, if the individually fired electrons want to behave as both a particle and a wave, you will after a time develop patterns something like a concentric circle pattern unobserved, and something like a shaded circle when observed, assuming the energy scales involved are detectible? Anyone?

Last edited:

Related to Q regarding Quantum decoherence, r.e. double slit experiment

1. What is quantum decoherence?

Quantum decoherence is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where a quantum system becomes entangled with its environment, leading to the loss of its quantum properties and becoming a classical system.

2. How does quantum decoherence relate to the double slit experiment?

In the double slit experiment, quantum decoherence occurs when the particles being observed interact with the environment, causing the interference pattern to disappear and the particles to behave like classical particles.

3. What causes quantum decoherence?

Quantum decoherence is caused by interactions between the quantum system and its surrounding environment, such as other particles or electromagnetic radiation.

4. Can quantum decoherence be reversed?

No, once a quantum system has undergone decoherence, it cannot be reversed. The quantum properties are permanently lost and the system behaves classically.

5. How does quantum decoherence affect the concept of superposition?

Quantum decoherence destroys the superposition of a quantum system, as the system becomes entangled with its environment and behaves classically. This is why the double slit experiment does not show an interference pattern when observed.