Q: Measured changes in the CMB radiation?

In summary, the cosmic microwave background is a single event that occurred everywhere in the past and remains unchanged. However, the wavelength of the radiation changes as it travels through the expanding universe. While it is possible to measure changes in the average wavelength of the CMB, it would require extremely sensitive instruments and a significant amount of time due to the small scale of the changes. Using this as a measurement of entropy instead of time may be possible, but the effects of gravity would need to be taken into account.
Joe Ciancimino
The cosmic microwave background was a single event that happened literally everywhere in pretty much a single instance. That moment was in the past and is unchanging. What does change is the wavelength of the radiation as it travels through the expanding universe causing the wavelength to grow longer as it passes through expanding space.

My question is this. Can we measure any year to year change in the average wavelength of the CMB? My thinking being, the CMB is the same distance from the observer at any single point in the universe. If such a change could be measured, could that not be used as a Newtonian clock? That is to say, rather than using time as the primary unit of measurement for the age of the universe post CMB to instead use a measurement entropy which would not be effected Lorentz changes due to gravity? (Or at least marginally effected, to which the difference could be ignored in most cases.)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Joe Ciancimino said:
My question is this. Can we measure any year to year change in the average wavelength of the CMB?

I don't think so. Even a 1% change to the wavelength takes something on the order of a million of years if I remember correctly. I'm not sure our instruments are sensitive enough to detect a change so small.

Related to Q: Measured changes in the CMB radiation?

1. What is the CMB radiation and why is it important to measure?

The CMB (Cosmic Microwave Background) radiation is the leftover heat and light from the Big Bang. It is important to measure because it provides valuable information about the early universe, including its composition and expansion.

2. How is the CMB radiation measured?

The CMB radiation is measured using telescopes that can detect microwaves. These telescopes scan the entire sky and measure the intensity of the radiation in different directions.

3. What causes changes in the CMB radiation?

Changes in the CMB radiation can be caused by various factors, such as the expansion of the universe, the presence of dark matter, and the interactions between different components of the universe.

4. What can we learn from measuring changes in the CMB radiation?

By measuring changes in the CMB radiation, we can learn more about the composition and evolution of the universe. This includes information about the amount of dark matter and dark energy, the expansion rate of the universe, and the formation of galaxies.

5. How do scientists use the data from measuring changes in the CMB radiation?

Scientists use the data from measuring changes in the CMB radiation to test and refine theories about the origin and evolution of the universe. This data is also used to make predictions about future observations and experiments.