Q: How can I solve a population growth problem using the general equation?

• Thread starter ksle82
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Growth
In summary, we are trying to solve a population growth problem and we are not sure if we are using the correct equation. The general equation for population growth is N=No*e^(rt) and we can use it to find the unknown constant "r" and the time it takes for the population to triple. However, there is another equation that can also be used, P(t)= P_0 2^{\frac{t}{2}}. Both equations lead to the same solution.
ksle82
im trying to solve a population growth problem. not sure if I am using the right eqn. Please check:

Q: if the population doubles in two years, how long does it take to triple?

Solution:

general equation for population growth: N=No*e^(rt)
1) find unknown constant "r" from given
2No=No*e^(rt)
from equation, r= ln(2)/2
2) find "t" for population to triple
3No=No*e^(rt)
solving for t: t=2ln(3)/ln(2) ~ 3.170 years

Physics news on Phys.org
If that's the equation your given then yes you are using the right equation. Just verify that t is indeed measured in years rather than some other time scale. Also verify that they imply triple to mean 3No not 3(2No). Even thoughy you used a calculator i think you can still simplify ln(3)/ln(2)

neurocomp2003 said:
If that's the equation your given then yes you are using the right equation.
thats the problem I am not sure I am using the right equation.

Yes, that's a perfectly valid formula.

However, you could also use
[tex]P(t)= P_0 2^{\frac{t}{2}}[/tex]
(every two years, t/2 is an integer, so we have multiplies by 2 t/2 times.)
then
[tex]P(t)= 3P_0= P_0 2^{\frac{T}{2}[/tex]
[tex]2^{\frac{T}{2}}= 3[/tex]
[tex]\left(\frac{T}{2}\right) log(2)= log(3)[/tex]
[tex]T= \frac{2 log(3)}{ log(2)}[/tex]
as you have.

also note that your equation when substituted with your given value of "r" simplies to the equation posted by HallsOfIvy

Exactly. All "exponentials" are interchangable. That's why you only need log base 10 and log base e on your calculator.
[tex]2^{\frac{t}{2}}= e^{ln(2^{\frac{t}{2}}= e^\frac{t}{2}ln(2)[/tex]
which is [itex]e^{rt}[/itex] with r= ln(2)/2.

Related to Q: How can I solve a population growth problem using the general equation?

What is population growth problem?

Population growth problem refers to the issue of the world's population increasing at an unsustainable rate, leading to various social, economic, and environmental challenges.

What are the causes of population growth problem?

The main causes of population growth problem include high birth rates, improved healthcare leading to longer life expectancy, and lack of access to education and family planning.

What are the impacts of population growth problem?

The impacts of population growth problem include strain on resources, overcrowding, increased pollution and waste, and depletion of natural resources.

What are the solutions to population growth problem?

Possible solutions to population growth problem include promoting family planning and education, reducing poverty and improving access to healthcare, and implementing sustainable development practices.

How can individuals contribute to addressing population growth problem?

Individuals can contribute to addressing population growth problem by making informed choices about family planning, reducing their carbon footprint, and supporting sustainable development initiatives.