Python help with sequences and elements?

In summary: Sure. That's with 'sequence' a list. Try it with the tuple ('one','two','three').You're right, Dick. With parentheses, the sequence is immutable.
acurate

Homework Statement

My professor wants us to program on Python, where we have a certain sequence, for example:
sequence = ("one", "two", "three", "four")
I need to replace one of the sequence elements (example: "one") with another element (example: instead of the word "one", I need to put "zero").

2. The attempt at a solution
I really have no idea how to do it, but I guess I have to start with.

Do I need to use something like:

sequence [1 : : 2]

or something else?

Would really appreciate if you guys would help.
I would appreciate even a hint or advice on which path to take to be able to write this.

Technology news on Phys.org
Do you need to replace it everytime it shows up? Might be able to handle this with a simple if statement. Is the sequence a while loop?

I think I figured it out actually! It works when I do it:

sequence2 = ("zero",)+sequence[1::]
print (sequence2)

Cool beans man.

I'm not a huge python guy myself, but I was thinking something like
for(k=0, sequence(k::k)!="one", k++){
print(sequence(k::k)
else print("zero")
}
This looks suspiciously like java though...

lol, I'm not eveen going to change that. :D

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
lol, I'm not eveen going to change that. :D
Hahah, thank you for trying to help, though. Really appreciate it, man!

acurate said:

Homework Statement

My professor wants us to program on Python, where we have a certain sequence, for example:
I need to replace one of the sequence elements (example: "one") with another element (example: instead of the word "one", I need to put "zero").

2. The attempt at a solution
I really have no idea how to do it, but I guess I have to start with.

sequence = ("one", "two", "three", "four")Do I need to use something like:

sequence [1 : : 2]

or something else?
Something else.
Given the definition you have above, the statement below will change the string at index 1 to the string "four".
Code:
sequence[1] = "four"
Note that indexes start at 0.

Edit: My lack of expertise in Python is showing. Defining a sequence as shown in the Attempt section above makes it a tuple, which is immutable. Defining a sequence as I did, with brackets, makes it a list, and mutable.
acurate said:
Would really appreciate if you guys would help.
I would appreciate even a hint or advice on which path to take to be able to write this.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
Something else.
Given the definition you have above, the statement below will change the string at index 1 to the string "four".
Code:
sequence[1] = "four"
Note that indexes start at 0.

Well, no it won't. As written 'sequence' is a tuple. Tuples are immutable - you can't change them. To do something like that you'd need to change 'sequence' to a list - which is mutable.

Dick said:
Well, no it won't. As written 'sequence' is a tuple. Tuples are immutable - you can't change them. To do something like that you'd need to change 'sequence' to a list - which is mutable.
@Dick, it worked for me. This is an exact cut-and-paste from my python session.
Python:
Python 3.4.2 (v3.4.2:ab2c023a9432, Oct  6 2014, 22:15:05) [MSC v.1600 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
Type "copyright", "credits" or "license()" for more information.
>>> sequence = ["one", "two", "three"]
>>> sequence
['one', 'two', 'three']
>>> sequence[1] = "four"
>>> sequence
['one', 'four', 'three']

Mark44 said:
@Dick, it worked for me. This is an exact cut-and-paste from my python session.
Python:
Python 3.4.2 (v3.4.2:ab2c023a9432, Oct  6 2014, 22:15:05) [MSC v.1600 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
Type "copyright", "credits" or "license()" for more information.
>>> sequence = ["one", "two", "three"]
>>> sequence
['one', 'two', 'three']
>>> sequence[1] = "four"
>>> sequence
['one', 'four', 'three']

Sure. That's with 'sequence' a list. Try it with the tuple ('one','two','three').

You're right, Dick. With parentheses, the sequence is immutable.

Related to Python help with sequences and elements?

1. What is the difference between a list and a tuple in Python?

A list is a mutable data structure in Python, meaning that its elements can be modified. A tuple, on the other hand, is immutable, meaning that its elements cannot be changed once it is created. Additionally, a list is denoted by square brackets [ ] while a tuple is denoted by parentheses ( ).

2. Can you explain the concept of indexing in Python lists?

Indexing is the process of accessing a specific element in a list. In Python, indexing starts at 0, meaning that the first element in a list has an index of 0. For example, if a list has 5 elements, their indices would be 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4. Negative indices can also be used to access elements from the end of the list, with -1 being the index of the last element.

3. How can I add or remove elements from a list in Python?

To add elements to a list, you can use the append() method to add an element to the end of the list, or the insert() method to add an element at a specific index. To remove elements, you can use the remove() method to remove a specific element, or the pop() method to remove an element at a specific index.

4. What is the difference between a for loop and a list comprehension in Python?

A for loop is a control flow statement that allows you to iterate through a sequence of elements. In contrast, a list comprehension is a concise way of creating a new list by iterating through an existing list and applying a condition. List comprehensions are often more efficient and readable than for loops.

5. How can I reverse the order of elements in a list in Python?

You can use the reverse() method to reverse the order of elements in a list in-place, meaning that the original list will be modified. Alternatively, you can use the slice notation [::-1] to create a new list with the elements in reversed order without modifying the original list.