Python: Generating All Possible Combinations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to generate every possible combination of key values from a dictionary, where each key can take on one of the possible values. The number of possible combinations is determined to be 360 and the solution involves using the itertools module or recursion using the backtracking technique. A code example is provided as well.
tangodirt
Need a little help here, if anyone can offer any advice. The problem I have is this. I have a dictionary that contains keys, and their possible values. I need to generate every possible combination of key values where each key can take on one of the possible values.

For example, the dictionary might look something like:
Code:
Value Dictionary: {1: [[A], [B], [C]], 2: [[D], [E], [F], [G], [H]], 3: [[I], [J]], 4: [[K], [L], [M], [N]], 5: [[O], [P], [Q]]}

So, for the "1" key, the possible values it can assume are A, B, and C. For the "2" key, the possible values it can assume are D, E, F, G, and H. This continues for all keys, of undefined number of possible values. For this example, the number of possible combinations is something of the form: 3*5*2*4*3 = 360.

I need a way to output a 2D list containing every possible combination. So, the algorithm would output something like:

Code:
Combination List: [[A,D,I,K,O], [A,D,I,K,P], [A,D,I,K,Q], [A,D,I,L,O],...,[C,H,J,N,Q]]

Where the length of the combination list would be 360 and the width would be 5.

Does python have any built in way to do this, or will I have to come up with some logic to do this by hand? If I have to do it by hand, does anyone have any recommendations? I'm guessing recursion might be the best way to do this, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
Yes, it can be done with recursion, more particularly, using the technique of backtracking. I suggest you to learn it, it's a simple, yet powerful technique.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backtracking

here was my valiant effort at it.
Code:
def patterns(dictionary):
   key = sorted(dictionary.keys())
   index = [0]*len(key)
   elements = {}
   next = 0
   while True:
      i = 0
      for value in key:
         if i == 0:
            elements[next] = dictionary[value][index[i]]
         else:
            elements[next] =elements[next][:] +dictionary[value][index[i]] 
         i += 1
      i = 0
      index[i] += 1
      while index[i] >= len(dictionary[key[i]]):
         index[i] = 0
         i += 1
         if i >= len(index):
            break
         else:
            index[i] += 1
      if i >= len(index):
         break
      next += 1
   return elements
val = {1: [["A"], ["B"], ["C"]], 2: [["D"], ["E"], ["F"], ["G"], ["H"]], 3: [["I"], ["J"]], 4: [["K"], ["L"], ["M"], ["N"]], 5: [["O"], ["P"], ["Q"]]}
print patterns(val)

Related to Python: Generating All Possible Combinations?

1. How can I generate all possible combinations in Python?

There are a few ways to generate all possible combinations in Python. One approach is to use the itertools library, specifically the combinations() function. Another option is to use a nested loop to iterate through all possible combinations.

2. Can I specify the length of the combinations I want to generate?

Yes, you can specify the length of the combinations you want to generate using the r parameter in the combinations() function. This allows you to generate combinations of a specific length, such as pairs or triplets.

3. What happens if I have duplicate elements in my input list?

If your input list contains duplicate elements, the combinations() function will still generate all possible combinations. However, duplicate combinations will be removed, so you will not get any duplicate results in your final output.

4. Is there a limit to the number of combinations that can be generated?

The number of combinations that can be generated depends on the length of your input list and the length of the combinations you want to generate. The total number of combinations can be calculated using the formula n! / (r! * (n-r)!), where n is the length of the input list and r is the length of the combinations. This number can quickly become very large, so it is important to consider the computational limitations of your system.

5. How can I save the generated combinations to a file?

To save the generated combinations to a file, you can use the write() function to write each combination to a file object. Alternatively, you can store the combinations in a list and then use the writerows() function from the csv library to write the list to a CSV file.