Pyramidal horn antenna vs. conical horn antenna

In summary: He's looking into horn antennas and is curious about why one would be better than the other.The biggest reason to choose a horn antenna is based on the waveguide being used. A conical horn with a cylindrical waveguide will be better than a pyramidal horn with the same frequency and power, because the cylindrical waveguide will have less distortion.
Bishamonten
Hi, a buddy of mine is working on a projecting trying to find the best way to transmit electromagnetic wave frequencies, and he wants to use a horn antenna for his project.

I was looking into horn antennas, and I'm just curious, the wiki page leaves two separate equations for gain, one with a pyramidal horn antenna, and another for a conical horn antenna. But the equations look pretty much the same, minus the differences of the two shapes that the equations seem to factor in.

What is the biggest reason one would choose one type of horn antenna over another? For example, choosing a pyramidal shaped one versus a conical one?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The type of waveguide usually. Conical horns with cylindrical waveguides.

Ah, so my first guess was right, it has more to do with the waveguide you happen to be using, rather than the kind of electromagnetic waves you are trying to transmit? Man, this stuff is really fun :)

Welcome to the PF. :smile:
Bishamonten said:
Hi, a buddy of mine is working on a projecting trying to find the best way to transmit electromagnetic wave frequencies
What frequency band? What power level? What country are you guys in? What is the end application?

I apologize berkeman, but I cannot discuss those kind of details about the project, other than the fact that we live in the United States, which is fine, since my question pertains only to why in general one would choose a pyramidal or conical horn antenna(one over the other).

Bishamonten said:
I apologize berkeman, but I cannot discuss those kind of details about the project, other than the fact that we live in the United States, which is fine, since my question pertains only to why in general one would choose a pyramidal or conical horn antenna(one over the other).
Fair enough, but keep in mind that the EM spectrum is regulated by the FCC, and you can't just start transmitting at any old frequency at any old power without getting the appropriate FCC license. If you are working in a shielded lab or anechoic chamber, you generally would not need an FCC license because you cannot cause harmful interference with other outside receivers.

But if you start transmitting any appreciable power in a public safety band with your experiments, I can pretty much guarantee you will hear a knock on your door pretty soon after you start transmitting. (And I may be one of the folks doing the knocking...) A word to the wise. :wink:

Absolutely! Thanks for the reminder.

Likes berkeman
nsaspook said:
The type of waveguide usually. Conical horns with cylindrical waveguides.

and also to that Pyramidal horns will be used on a rectangular WG and can be orientated for either horizontal or vertical polarisation

where a conical will be used for circular polarisation on a cylindrical WG as nsaspook alluded to

I apologize berkeman, but I cannot discuss those kind of details about the project, other than the fact that we live in the United States

Ohhh dear ... how many times we see that cop out ! :rolleyes:

@nsaspook you better get you buddies to keep an eye on this guy! :wink::wink:Dave

Likes berkeman and Bishamonten

Related to Pyramidal horn antenna vs. conical horn antenna

What is a pyramidal horn antenna?

A pyramidal horn antenna is a type of antenna that is shaped like a pyramid, with a wide opening at one end and a narrow opening at the other. It is used for directing and focusing radio waves in a specific direction.

What is a conical horn antenna?

A conical horn antenna is a type of antenna that is shaped like a cone, with a wide opening at one end and a narrow opening at the other. It is also used for directing and focusing radio waves in a specific direction.

What is the difference between a pyramidal horn antenna and a conical horn antenna?

The main difference between these two antennas is their shape. While a pyramidal horn antenna has a pyramid shape, a conical horn antenna has a cone shape. This difference in shape can affect the radiation pattern and gain of the antenna. Additionally, a pyramidal horn antenna typically has a wider bandwidth compared to a conical horn antenna.

Which antenna is better for long-range communication?

Both pyramidal horn antennas and conical horn antennas can be used for long-range communication. However, pyramidal horn antennas tend to have a broader bandwidth and higher gain, making them more suitable for long-range communication in certain scenarios.

Can these antennas be used for other applications besides communication?

Yes, both pyramidal horn antennas and conical horn antennas can be used for various applications such as radar systems, satellite communication, radio astronomy, and more. Their ability to direct and focus radio waves makes them useful in many different fields of science and technology.