Push Mass Up Ramp: What Makes Vertical Displacement?

In summary, when a force is exerted horizontally on an object at a ramp, the normal force does no work since it is perpendicular to the displacement, but then what makes the mass have an upward and vertical component in its displacement? The upward and vertical component is caused by the incline of the ramp.
p108602
if i were to push a mass up a ramp by giving a horizontal force, the normal force do no work since it is perpendicular to the displacement. But then, what makes the mass have an upward and vertical component in its displacement?

Physics news on Phys.org
An even more interesting thing to consider is how, when the only work being done moving an object up a ramp that is fricitonless, is down in LIFTING the object verticallycan a horizontal force which is at right angles to the direction of the work being done, move the object at all??

netgypsy said:
An even more interesting thing to consider is how, when the only work being done moving an object up a ramp that is fricitonless, is down in LIFTING the object verticallycan a horizontal force which is at right angles to the direction of the work being done, move the object at all??

I don't understand your question. If the force was at a right angle to the work being done, wouldn't that be like trying to push a brick into a vertical wall? A ramp requires that some of the work be done in moving the object horizontally.

p108602 said:
if i were to push a mass up a ramp by giving a horizontal force, the normal force do no work since it is perpendicular to the displacement. But then, what makes the mass have an upward and vertical component in its displacement?

If you decompose the normal force vector into two vectors (Nx and Ny) you will find that Ny does positive work while Nx does the same amount of work, but negatively.

It might help to think about the situation in terms of a coordinate system and the dot product.

You could define your coordinate system in any way, and it wouldn't matter. Work is defined as a dot product of force and displacement: work = F*d*cos(theta), where theta is the angle between the force and displacement vectors. Regardless of whether you define your coordinate system so that discplacement has components, theta is always 90 degrees and the work done is always 0.

In other words, as long as the force and dispacement vectors are perpendicular, it doesn't matter what their components are.

An even more interesting thing to consider is how, when the only work being done moving an object up a ramp that is frictionless is done in LIFTING the object vertically, can a horizontal force which is at right angles to the direction of the work being done, move the object at all??

OK that's corrected so think about this and explain how this is possible intuitively.

netgypsy said:
OK that's corrected so think about this and explain how this is possible intuitively.

What does "explain this intuitively" mean?
Also, how can the only work being done be in the vertical direction if you are using a ramp? You have to push it horizontally at least a little bit or it isn't a ramp.

It takes no work to move an object at constant speed horizontally on a frictionless surface so the only work done in moving an pbject up this ramp is mgh or the vertical height times the weight

Explaining intuitively means without using mathematical definitions like a dot product

Rather one uses basic physics principles applicable to this physical situation with cause and effect

The horizontal push causes a certain effect

What now does that effect
cause and so on

Ok guys and gals - how does an object move vertically when it's pushed horizontally.

netgypsy said:
Ok guys and gals - how does an object move vertically when it's pushed horizontally.

The ramp turns your horizontal force into a vertical one?

And that's why it's called a simple machine. Actually it doesn't turn all the force into a vertical one but by producing a normal force perpendicular to the ramp it now has a component that is vertical so the object can indeed move vertically when a horizontal force is exerted.

I remember my very first physics course which I confess I failed. (took calculus, took the physics over and got an A) I was so enthralled with things like this as well as astrophysics which remains my first love, but physics is not only fascinating but so useful. How many things in life are beautiful, fascinating and useful? SiGHHH

I'm confused. Are you asking a question or lecturing?

Neither - just telling you that you, as I'm sure you know, are pretty much right - that the incline changes the horizontal force into a force that has a vertical component which can move the object straight up (as well as sideways of course). Then just reminiscing.

Related to Push Mass Up Ramp: What Makes Vertical Displacement?

1. What is vertical displacement?

Vertical displacement refers to the change in height or position of an object in a vertical direction. In the case of push mass up ramp, it is the change in the height of the mass as it moves up the ramp.

2. How does the angle of the ramp affect vertical displacement?

The angle of the ramp is directly related to the vertical displacement of the mass. The steeper the angle, the greater the vertical displacement will be. This is because a steeper angle requires the mass to travel a greater vertical distance to reach the same horizontal distance.

3. How does the mass of the object affect vertical displacement?

The mass of the object has a direct impact on the vertical displacement. A heavier mass will require more force to be pushed up the ramp, resulting in a greater vertical displacement. This is due to the relationship between mass and force, as described by Newton's Second Law.

4. Is there a limit to the vertical displacement that can be achieved?

In theory, there is no limit to the vertical displacement that can be achieved by pushing a mass up a ramp. However, in practical terms, there are limitations such as the angle and length of the ramp, the force applied, and the mass of the object being pushed.

5. What other factors can affect the vertical displacement of a mass on a ramp?

Aside from the angle and mass, other factors that can affect vertical displacement include the coefficient of friction between the ramp and the mass, the surface of the ramp (smoothness, roughness), and external forces such as air resistance. Additionally, the shape and size of the mass can also play a role in determining the vertical displacement.