Push Forward on a Product Manifold.

In summary, the conversation discusses the isomorphism between the tangent bundle of the product manifold M×P and the product of the tangent bundles of M and P. It also mentions the use of local coordinates to compute push forwards, and the possibility of decomposing the push forward of a function on M×P without using local coordinates. The latter is of interest in understanding the push forward of the left translation on a Lie group and finding the push forward of a function on G×G.
andresB
Some words before the question.
For two smooth manifolds [itex]M[/itex] and [itex]P[/itex] It is true that
[tex]T(M\times P)\simeq TM\times TP [/tex]
If I have local coordinates [itex]\lambda[/itex] on [itex]M[/itex] and [itex]q[/itex] on [itex]P[/itex] then ([itex]\lambda[/itex], [itex]q[/itex]) are local coordinates on [itex]M\times P[/itex] (right?). This means that in these local coordinates the tanget vectors are of the form [itex]a^{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial\lambda^{i}}+b^{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial q^{i}}[/itex]

Now, I can compute push forwards in local coordinates. For example, for a function
[tex]f(\lambda, q)\rightarrow(\lambda,Q(q,\lambda))[/tex]
Then
[tex]f^{*}\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial\lambda}\right)=\frac{\partial}{\partial\lambda}+\frac{\partial Q}{\partial\lambda}\frac{\partial}{\partial q}[/tex]
where I just had to do the matrix product of the Jacobian to the column vector [itex](1,0)^{T}[/itex].

Actual Question.

For a function [itex]f:\, TM\times TP\longrightarrow TM\times TP[/itex]
and without using local coordinates what can be said about the Push forward [itex]f^{*}:\, TM\times TP\longrightarrow TM\times TP[/itex] ?.

Particularly interested if the push forward can be descomposed into something in [itex]TM[/itex] product something in [itex]TP[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a result that for m in M , n in N, ## T_{(m,n)} (M \times N) = T_m M (+) T_n N ## , where ##(+)## is the direct sum of (tangent) vectors. Where by '=' I mean isomorphic.

Thanks for replying.

Yes, I'm aware of the result, I actually implicitly used it in the example above.

I am not sure of what you are looking for, but you can also use properties of duality, since ##TM:= \cup (T_p M)^{*}##
Then ## T(M\times N) = (T_{(m,n)} M \times N )^{*}=T_m^{*}M (+) T_n^{*}N = TM \times TN ##.

Then a finite direct sum is a direct product .

You may want to play with these properties of duals , duals of products, etc. to look for the
result you want.

Last edited:
I'm not sure to understand what you mean. Either way, What I'm intersted is in the push forward.

If I have local coordinates, like in the example in the OP, for a given a function of [itex]M\times P[/itex] to itself I can compute the push forward of that function. If I do not have coordinates then I have no idea what to do.

For example, let [itex]G[/itex] be a lie group (I'm interested in SU(n)). The left translation is given by [itex]L_{a}b=ab[/itex]. The push forward of the left translation aplied to a tangent vector at the identity, [itex]E\in T_{e}G[/itex] , would give a tangent vector at the new group element [itex](L_{a})_{*}E\in T_{a}G[/itex].

Now, for [itex] (g,g\text{´)}\in G\times G[/itex] I would like to define [itex] L_{(1,h)}(g,g\text{´)}=(g,hg)[/itex], and find the push forward of this function as [tex] L_{(1,h)*}(E\oplus0)= Something \oplus Something[/tex] .

Related to Push Forward on a Product Manifold.

1. What is a product manifold?

A product manifold is a mathematical concept that combines two or more manifolds together into a new manifold. It is formed by taking the Cartesian product of the individual manifolds, meaning that each point on the product manifold is represented by an ordered pair of points from the original manifolds.

2. What does it mean to push forward on a product manifold?

Pushing forward on a product manifold refers to the process of mapping points from the original manifolds to the product manifold. This involves taking a point in the Cartesian product and finding its corresponding point on the product manifold. It is similar to the concept of mapping in other areas of mathematics.

3. Why is pushing forward on a product manifold important?

Pushing forward on a product manifold is important in many areas of mathematics and physics, particularly in the study of differential geometry and the theory of relativity. It allows for the transformation of objects and equations between different manifolds, making it a powerful tool for solving complex problems.

4. How is pushing forward on a product manifold different from pushing forward on a single manifold?

While pushing forward on a single manifold involves mapping points from one point to another within the same manifold, pushing forward on a product manifold involves mapping points from multiple manifolds to a new, combined manifold. This requires a different mathematical approach and can have different applications.

5. What are some real-world applications of pushing forward on a product manifold?

Pushing forward on a product manifold has many practical applications, including in physics, computer graphics, and robotics. For example, it can be used to model the motion of objects in space, to create 3D visualizations, and to program robots to move in complex ways. It is also used in data analysis and machine learning to transform and analyze data from multiple sources.