Pursuing Non-Traditional Medical Careers: Exploring Options

In summary, an Oxford doctor goes to Haiti to help people and then comes back to Oxford and lives the easy life.
Ascalon
Hi,
I am starting a medical carrer soon and i was kind of wondering what can i do after i earn my degree? I got into medicine for the sure fact that i was helping people, but inside a hospital? I was wondering if there are such organizations that employ doctors to go into other places in need yet get payed some money. I know of volunteering but taking so much time, money and dedication in medical school seems wasteful; i think i should be able to provide for my parents and my self and still help people more than a normal doctor.

I have looked even at the military and their medical programs. They seem to be a good choice.

Comments?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ascalon said:
I was wondering if there are such organizations that employ doctors to go into other places in need yet get payed some money.
http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/work/field/#benefits does pay a monthly salary.

Ascalon said:
Hi,
I am starting a medical carrer soon and i was kind of wondering what can i do after i earn my degree? I got into medicine for the sure fact that i was helping people, but inside a hospital? I was wondering if there are such organizations that employ doctors to go into other places in need yet get payed some money. I know of volunteering but taking so much time, money and dedication in medical school seems wasteful; i think i should be able to provide for my parents and my self and still help people more than a normal doctor.

I have looked even at the military and their medical programs. They seem to be a good choice.

Comments?

What's your level of certification so far? EMT, Medic, PA, FR, CERT, FA/CPR? Given whatever your level of cert is so far, you can volunteer for time locally. Where are you geographically?

An Oxford doctor was just on the radio. He had been in Haiti for a month, now he's back in Oxford living the easy(ish) life & making money. So you can help poor people in dire need, and also make money from treating rich people (who are also, let's face it, in dire need...) That is, you can work most of the year and then volunteer for part of it. And people will think you are great, like I think that Oxford doctor is great. (And no one thinks that about quants...)

I understand your desire to explore non-traditional medical career options. There are indeed many organizations and programs that employ doctors to work in areas outside of the hospital setting. Some examples include non-profit organizations, international aid groups, and government agencies. These positions often involve providing medical care to underserved communities or working in disaster relief efforts.

I would also suggest looking into telemedicine, which allows doctors to provide care remotely through technology. This can be a great way to reach a larger population and still make a difference in people's lives.

Additionally, the military does offer medical programs that provide opportunities to serve and help people while also receiving a salary and benefits. However, it is important to carefully consider the potential risks and challenges that come with military service.

Overall, I encourage you to continue exploring your options and finding a career path that aligns with your goals and values. There are many ways to make a positive impact in the medical field outside of a traditional hospital setting. Good luck in your future endeavors!

Related to Pursuing Non-Traditional Medical Careers: Exploring Options

1. What are some examples of non-traditional medical careers?

Some examples of non-traditional medical careers include healthcare consulting, medical writing, medical sales, medical device development, and healthcare administration.

2. How can I prepare for a non-traditional medical career?

To prepare for a non-traditional medical career, it is important to gain relevant experience through internships or volunteering, develop strong communication and leadership skills, and network with professionals in the field.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing a non-traditional medical career?

Some benefits of pursuing a non-traditional medical career may include a more flexible schedule, opportunities for creativity and innovation, potential for higher salaries, and the ability to make a larger impact on the healthcare industry.

4. Are there any challenges associated with pursuing a non-traditional medical career?

Some challenges of pursuing a non-traditional medical career may include a lack of clear career path or job stability, the need for continuous learning and adaptability, and potential for limited opportunities in certain geographical locations.

5. Can I still use my medical degree in a non-traditional medical career?

Yes, many non-traditional medical careers still require a medical background or degree, even if the specific job does not involve direct patient care. Your medical degree can also be valuable in demonstrating your expertise and credibility in the field.