Purchase a heater with a high resistance because P= I^2 R

In summary, the salesman suggests that the student purchase a heater with a high resistance in order to get more heat, while the student believes that a low resistance would be more effective. However, the student is correct as the power supply in the flat has a fixed voltage, making the equation P = V^2/R more applicable. The first equation, P = I^2 R, is not as reliable as the current is not fixed and will change when the resistance is altered. Therefore, the student's reasoning is more accurate.
heartOFphysic
A student goes out to purchase an electric heater for his flat. The salesman says that, to
get more heat, he should purchase a heater with a high resistance because P= I^2 R
but the student thinks that a low resistance would be best, because P= V^2/R

explain who is correct?

Hmmm I'm rather stumped on this one, any pointers/ tips to head me off in the right direction?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, but looking at those two equations what can you change at home? Voltage or current? In practice all you can change is the current flow

Consider the power supply in the flat. What are its characteristics?

The current is alternating in a house supply, I guess?

heartOFphysic said:
The current is alternating in a house supply, I guess?

While that is certainly true, what other specifications does it have?

A current causes a heating effect!

In your house you can only change the current. Think of it a different way, something with a high resistance reduces current flow, but gets hot in the process

heartOFphysic said:
A current causes a heating effect!

Sure, but what can you change at the flat? The power that you receive when you plug into an outlet is fixed at 120V/240V/whatever, depending on the country you live in. You can't change that.

[itex]P = I^2 R[/itex] is dependent on the current and the resistance. [itex]P = V^2/R[/itex] is dependent only on the voltage. Since the voltage is fixed, the 2nd equation tells you everything you need to know to answer your question. The problem with the first equation is that the current is not fixed and when you change the resistance, the current will change as well, so you can't immediately know "what happens when I change R".

Related to Purchase a heater with a high resistance because P= I^2 R

What does the equation P=I^2R represent?

The equation P=I^2R represents the relationship between power (P), current (I), and resistance (R) in an electrical circuit. It states that power is equal to the square of the current multiplied by the resistance.

Why should I purchase a heater with a high resistance?

A heater with a high resistance will consume less energy (power) while still producing the same amount of heat. This can save you money on your electricity bill and also make the heater more efficient.

How does the resistance of a heater affect its performance?

The resistance of a heater determines how much current will flow through it to produce heat. A higher resistance means less current and therefore less energy is needed to produce the same amount of heat. This can make the heater more stable and durable.

Is a high resistance always better for a heater?

Not necessarily. The resistance of a heater should be chosen based on the specific needs and specifications of the heater. In some cases, a lower resistance may be more suitable for optimal performance.

Can I use the equation P=I^2R for any electrical device?

Yes, the equation P=I^2R can be applied to any electrical device as long as the values for power, current, and resistance are known. It is a fundamental equation in electrical engineering and is used to understand and analyze the behavior of various electrical systems.