Punch Down Blocks (Telephony or Ethernet Cables)

In summary, a punch down block is a quick and easy way to connect wiring. They are often used as patch panels, breakout boxes for PBXs, or as a central point for organizing twisted pair wiring.
Newtons Apple
I hope this is the right area of this.. Guys, I need to know... what does a Punchdown block do? I see these in wiring closets, where the telephone or ethernet cable is flayed open, and the wires inside are stuck into the blades of the block. I'm studying for the Network+ exams, and they mention punchdown blocks for 66 and 110 styles, but I can't find a straight answer to tell me what they do, and how they are used and most importantly, what's the point of them. Any help would be appreciated. I've read the wiki, and I can't seem to get a reasoning on WHY we use them

Engineering news on Phys.org
From Wikipedia.org

Punch down blocks are a very quick and easy way to connect wiring, as there is no stripping of insulation and no screws to loosen and tighten. Punch down blocks are often used as patch panels, or as breakout boxes for PBX or other similar key phone systems ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch_down_block

Also see: 66 Block and 110 Block

Look I already said in my post that I had read the wiki and I need some one to explain it. Not to rant here... and I know I"m the one coming to you to ask you of your time, but people posting wiki's as answers shouldn't be allowed. We all know wikipedia, but sometimes the language isn't as clear. It's easy to just copy and paste a wiki link.

Uh ... what part of

Punch down blocks are a very quick and easy way to connect wiring, as there is no stripping of insulation and no screws to loosen and tighten. Punch down blocks are often used as patch panels, or as breakout boxes for PBX or other similar key phone systems ...

do you not understand?

It's use in a practical sense.. when would you need to connect wiring, is it used a hub like in a computer system? Where are they generally located?

Newtons Apple said:
... people posting wiki's as answers shouldn't be allowed.

Okay then. 66 and 110 blocks are used for organizing twisted pairs in patch panels, etc.

Thanks for letting me know that you don't approve of my posting techniques. Next time I just won't reply to you.

Newtons Apple said:
... but I can't find a straight answer to tell me what they do, and how they are used and most importantly, what's the point of them. ...

Basically, they serve as centralized wiring distribution. They also assist troubleshooting efforts.

There are various ways to implement them, but for simplicity, just imagine all of your servers, routers, etc. on one side, and all of your users on the other. Changes to wiring on one side doesn't disturb the wiring on the other side.

(In practice, I've only used them for telephony. I have just a general knowledge of their use in computer networking.)

Newtons Apple said:
... but I can't find a straight answer to tell me what they do, and how they are used and most importantly, what's the point of them. Any help would be appreciated. I've read the wiki, and I can't seem to get a reasoning on WHY we use them

because the old style of having to solder 1000's of connections was labourously SLOW

I have wired up many huge frames of so called punch down blocks, more commonly known as Krone blocks. we could easily terminate 500 pair a day compared to many days if it was using the old solder or wire wrap styles.

The Krone blocks make it very easy to push in the appropriate test pin modules that were used for separating internal and external cabling etc

like many other things in electronics, its all about economics and saving labour costs the ease of testing was the icing on the cake

And for these left field comments of yours...
Look I already said in my post that I had read the wiki and I need some one to explain it. Not to rant here... and I know I"m the one coming to you to ask you of your time, but people posting wiki's as answers shouldn't be allowed. We all know wikipedia, but sometimes the language isn't as clear. It's easy to just copy and paste a wiki link.

WAY WAY too many just don't bother doing a simple google or wiki search
they expect some one just to hand them all the answers on a silver plate without having to do any form of research themselves!

Dave

Most times that I've used them is as across connect. Your incoming lines (usually telco lines(66 block ) ) go to the left hand outer connection on a block(A) and your outgoing (to station) on the right hand on another block(B). Then you cross connect the incoming(A) to the outgoing (B) using twisted pair. You then install a bridge clip across the center connections. (If you have a RJ31 that needs to be installed it goes in place of the bridge clips). This completes a circuit, and has the advantage of moving an extension without having to disturb the in and out wiring(useful in an office setting where whole depts. get moved frequently). As for the 110 blocks the same idea but it uses stacking headers to create the cross connect.
Companies will terminate network cables to a patch panel, and then a cable goes from the switch to the port going out to the workstation.
If a person needs a special port (pots modem, fax, poe etc) it is easy to change without major disruption.

I know my explanation probably is confusing, but once you get see them up close they are easy to understand.

P.S krone is a manufacturer who uses a special blade for punching down. Two others are panduit and bix that use proprietary blades.

Newtons Apple said:

Please mellow the response, NA. 95% of the time, posts like this are because posters haven't actually read the articles and followed the links in the articles.

wirenut said:
I know my explanation probably is confusing, but once you get see them up close they are easy to understand.

I think this is the key point. For those of us who have done hours of wiring on punch-down blocks, and have actually jiggled the metal insulation-displacement connector (IDC) metal pieces, they are pretty intuitive in what their function is. Maybe there are some YouTube videos, or some videos that can be found with a Google Images search that would help you get an intuitive feeling for how the connections are made. When you jiggle the metal IDC pieces in the punch-down block, you can see what pieces are connected.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Related to Punch Down Blocks (Telephony or Ethernet Cables)

What is a punch down block?

A punch down block is a connecting hardware used in telephony and Ethernet systems to terminate and organize multiple cables. It is a type of IDC (insulation displacement connector) that allows for the secure attachment of wires without the need for soldering or crimping.

How does a punch down block work?

A punch down block consists of a row of metal clips or blades that are used to make contact with the individual wires of a cable. The wires are inserted into the slots on the block and then punched down with a special tool, causing the metal clips to pierce the insulation and make contact with the wire conductors. This creates a secure and reliable connection.

What are the advantages of using a punch down block?

Using a punch down block offers several advantages, including a more organized and neater wiring system. It also allows for easy troubleshooting and maintenance, as individual wires can be easily identified and replaced if necessary. Additionally, punch down blocks provide a secure and reliable connection that is not easily disrupted.

Can punch down blocks be used for both telephony and Ethernet cables?

Yes, punch down blocks are versatile and can be used for both telephony and Ethernet cables. They are commonly used in telephone systems, but can also be used in local area networks (LANs) for connecting devices such as computers, printers, and routers.

Are there different types of punch down blocks?

Yes, there are several types of punch down blocks, including 110 blocks and 66 blocks. 110 blocks are used for high-speed data applications such as Ethernet, while 66 blocks are primarily used for telephony applications. There are also different sizes and configurations of punch down blocks to accommodate different numbers of cables and connections.