Pulsing DC current through coils

In summary, the speaker is asking for advice on what hardware they need to pulse DC power through coils with iron cores. They are unsure of what type of power supply or device to use and the necessary quantities and specifications. The expert suggests that the specifics of the application, such as duration and repetition rate, as well as the inductance and construction details of the coils, are needed in order to provide a helpful answer.
superhero777
Hi,

What hardware do I need to buy if I want to pulse DC power, say 12v through some regular coils with iron cores.

Can I use a regular power supply connected to some other device?
How would I pulse the output of the power supply?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi.
So far, your question is a bit too open-ended for a reasonable answer. As with all Engineering questions, the quantities involved are highly relevant. Are we talking in terms of mA, A or tens of A? What would the inductance of your 'coils' be?
In the end, this affects whether you can use an OP amp, Audio Power-Amp technology or Serious Power switching circuitry. Any driver that you use must be able to handle the high voltage spikes that the pulsed current will generate (creating and dissipating the magnetic energy). But I guess this is why you asked the question :smile:.

Thanks sophie.
Let's say 5A more or less.
I'm not sure what the inductance would be but the coils will be on say 15cm ferrite rods for varying amounts of wire.
Sorry I'm no expert.
I have DC power supplies, could I buy another device that would connect up with it to vary the power output?

I can't help you yet. Perhaps a bit more of a clue about the actual application?
It is necessary to know the duration and repetition rate and absolutely necessary to have some clue about the inductance of these coils. Or, at least the construction details (how many turns, the radius and the core material).
So far you have done the equivalent of saying "I need a cardboard box". We need to know how big and how strong it needs to be before anyone can help you - hence the need to know what sort of thing it's for. You clearly haven't found a box of coils and want to pulse current through them 'to see what happens' (?).

Pulsing DC current through coils is a common technique used in various applications such as electromagnets, transformers, and motors. To pulse DC power through coils, you will need a power supply capable of providing the desired voltage and current, as well as a device to control the pulsing of the current.

There are a few options for hardware that you can use to pulse DC power through coils. One option is to use a function generator, which can generate a specific waveform and frequency to pulse the current through the coils. Another option is to use a pulse width modulation (PWM) controller, which can vary the duty cycle of the pulse to control the amount of current flowing through the coils. Additionally, there are specialized pulse generators that are designed specifically for pulsing DC current through coils.

In terms of using a regular power supply, it is possible to use one connected to another device to pulse the output. However, this will require additional circuitry to control the pulsing of the current. It is important to note that not all power supplies are designed for pulsing applications, so it is important to carefully select a power supply that is suitable for your specific needs.

In order to pulse the output of the power supply, you will need to use a device or circuit that can control the on/off switching of the current. This can be achieved through various methods such as using a transistor switch, a relay, or a solid-state switch. The chosen method will depend on the specific requirements of your application.

Overall, pulsing DC current through coils requires careful consideration of the hardware and circuitry needed to control the pulsing and ensure safe and efficient operation. It is important to consult with a knowledgeable expert and carefully select the appropriate components for your specific application.

Related to Pulsing DC current through coils

1. How does pulsing DC current through coils work?

Pulsing DC current through coils involves sending short bursts of direct current through the coils, rather than a continuous flow. This creates a changing magnetic field, which can be used for various applications such as electromagnets, transformers, and generators.

2. What are the benefits of pulsing DC current through coils?

Pulsing DC current through coils allows for greater control and efficiency in generating magnetic fields. It also reduces the risk of overheating and damage to the coils.

3. Can pulsing DC current through coils be used for wireless charging?

Yes, pulsing DC current through coils is commonly used in wireless charging systems. The changing magnetic field created by the pulsing current induces a current in a separate coil, allowing for efficient and convenient charging without the need for physical contact.

4. Are there any safety concerns when working with pulsing DC current through coils?

Yes, pulsing DC current can still pose a risk of electric shock and should be handled with caution. It's important to follow proper safety procedures and use appropriate protective gear when working with pulsing DC current through coils.

5. What are some real-world applications of pulsing DC current through coils?

Pulsing DC current through coils has a wide range of applications, including in electromagnets for lifting and moving heavy objects, in transformers for converting electricity between different voltages, and in generators for producing electricity. It is also used in various technologies such as wireless charging, magnetic levitation, and MRI machines.