Pulling mass with motor through pulley (with mass)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the acceleration of a mass using torque equations and a free-body diagram. The attempt at a solution involves manipulating the torque equations and using the given forces on the pulley and mass. However, the answer obtained is incorrect and the suggestion is made to create two free-body diagrams and consider all forces present.
Esoremada

Homework Statement

http://puu.sh/4PDPV.png

Homework Equations

τ = I*α
τ = r*F

The Attempt at a Solution

EDIT2: Nevermind, manipulated the torque equations wrong, got it now

EDIT: Tried again and ended up with an actual answer, but still got it wrong :/
This is the FBD I used http://puu.sh/4PH7l.png

m = 1060 kg
Ft2 = 10900
I = 75.5 kg*m^2
r = 0.757 m1060a = Ft1 - 1060*9.81

τ = I*r*a
τ = r*F
F = 10900 - Ft1

I*r*a = r*F
I*a = F

75.5*a = 10900 - Ft1

1060a = Ft1 - 1060*9.81
Ft1 = 1060a + 1060*9.81

75.5a = 10900 - Ft1
75.5a = 10900 - (1060a + 1060*9.81)
75.5a = 10900 - 1060a - 1060*9.81
1060a + 75.5a = 10900 - 1060*9.81
a = (10900 - 1060*9.81) / (1060 + 75.5)
= 0.44157

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need two free-body diagrams.
You are given the forces on the pulley and the mass
- just sketch out the fdb's and look at what forces are present.

Related to Pulling mass with motor through pulley (with mass)

What is the purpose of pulling mass with a motor through a pulley?

The purpose of pulling mass with a motor through a pulley is to use the motor's mechanical energy to lift or move a heavy object. The pulley system allows for the force to be distributed over a greater distance, making it easier to lift the mass.

How does the pulley system work in this situation?

In this situation, the pulley system works by redirecting the force applied by the motor in a different direction. This allows for the motor's energy to be used to lift or move the mass, rather than just rotating the motor itself.

What are the advantages of using a pulley system in this scenario?

The main advantage of using a pulley system is that it allows for the use of a smaller motor to lift or move a larger mass. It also makes the lifting process smoother and more controlled, reducing the chances of sudden movements or accidents.

What factors should be considered when setting up a pulley system for pulling mass with a motor?

When setting up a pulley system for pulling mass with a motor, some important factors to consider are the weight of the mass, the strength and speed of the motor, the type and quality of the pulleys and ropes used, and the angle of the pulley system. All of these factors can affect the efficiency and safety of the system.

Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when using a pulley system for pulling mass with a motor?

Yes, there are some safety precautions that should be taken when using a pulley system for pulling mass with a motor. These include ensuring that the pulleys and ropes are strong enough to handle the weight of the mass, using proper gear and equipment, and following proper lifting techniques to avoid strain or injury.