Pulley System Problem with String Impulse (Atwood's Machine)

In summary, two particles of masses 8 kg and 5 kg are connected by a string passing over a pulley and held at a height of 5 m above the ground. When released, the particles experience equal acceleration and the tension in the string can be solved for using the given equations. The highest point reached by the 5 kg mass is higher than 10 m, as it still has some velocity after the 8 kg mass touches the ground. To find the speed at which the system is jerked into motion and the impulse experienced by the string, more information is needed as the time at which the impulse is to be found is not given.
jmlibunao

Homework Statement

Two particles of masses 8 kg and 5 kg are connected to the two ends of a light inextensible string which passes over a fixed smooth pulley. Initially each of the two particles are held at a position which is 5 m above a horizontal ground. The objects are then released from rest. Assuming that the particles never reach the pulley, and also that the particles do not rebound when they strike the ground,

#1 Find the tension in the string and the acceleraion of each particle
#2 Find the distance above the ground of the point H, the highest point reached by the 5 kg mass;
#3 Find the speed with which the system is jerked into motion and the impulse experienced by the string during the jerk.

Homework Equations

g = 10 m/s^2
F1 = m1a = m1g - T
F2 = m2a = T - m2g

The Attempt at a Solution

The acceleration of both particles would be the same.
I can easily solve for the acceleration, a, and tension T by:
(8 kg)(a) = (8 kg)(10 m/s^2) - T -- (1)
(5 kg)(a) = T - (5 kg)(10 m/s^2) -- (2)

I'd let both (1) and (2) be equal to T and then solve for a, which I got to be 2.3. I would then plug this in either (1) or (2) and then solve for T, which I got to b 61.54

My question lies in #2 and #3.
For #2, wouldn't the highest point the 5 kg mass would reach be 10 m (5 m + 5 m)?
For #3, can I use one of the kinematics equation to solve for a velocity v? I'm considering the string itself to be massless, so the total mass of the system would be 8 kg + 5 kg = 13 kg. Wouldn't I be able to get the impulse by multiplying 13 kg by g = 10 m/s^2 and my computed v (assuming that I do compute for a v)?

Physics news on Phys.org
jmlibunao said:
For #2, wouldn't the highest point the 5 kg mass would reach be 10 m (5 m + 5 m)?
For #3, can I use one of the kinematics equation to solve for a velocity v? I'm considering the string itself to be massless, so the total mass of the system would be 8 kg + 5 kg = 13 kg. Wouldn't I be able to get the impulse by multiplying 13 kg by g = 10 m/s^2 and my computed v (assuming that I do compute for a v)?

The 5 kg mass would still have some velocity after the 8 kg mass touches the ground. Thus it will go higher than 10 m.

I didn't understand what the question asks in part 3. Could you please clarify?

Sunil Simha said:
I didn't understand what the question asks in part 3. Could you please clarify?

Thanks for your reply for #2!

For #3, when you release the system from rest, the 8-kg mass would go down while the 5-kg mass would go up, thus there would be a speed/velocity that would cause this movement. Following that, it's also asking for the impulse experienced by the string. I think that's what it is saying.

jmlibunao said:
Thanks for your reply for #2!

For #3, when you release the system from rest, the 8-kg mass would go down while the 5-kg mass would go up, thus there would be a speed/velocity that would cause this movement. Following that, it's also asking for the impulse experienced by the string. I think that's what it is saying.
Since the system is released from rest (presumably with the string taut) there is no impulse at that time. There will be impulsive tension when the 5kg mass descends and brings the string taut again. Have you missed part of the problem statement?

haruspex said:
Have you missed part of the problem statement?

I put the complete problem. That is everything given. :\

Impulse is change in momentum right? At the start momentum is 0 since there was no movement. After the release from rest, then you would have momentum so shouldn't there be impulse?

jmlibunao said:
I put the complete problem. That is everything given. :\

Impulse is change in momentum right? At the start momentum is 0 since there was no movement. After the release from rest, then you would have momentum so shouldn't there be impulse?

Yes, there will be a change in momentum because the bodies are being accelerated. However, to find the impulse, you do need the final velocity and that is a function of time. So unless the time at which the (average) impulse is to be found is given, I don't know how one can find the impulse.:confused:

jmlibunao said:
The OP asks for "the speed with which the system is jerked into motion". This clearly refers to a sudden change in speed, as in an impact. The only such in this scenario is when the 5kg mass falls back down, tautening the string. Since part 2 refers to the 5kg mass reaching its highest point, it seems reasonable to expect part 3 to discuss something that happens later. So although it could have been worded more clearly, I'm fairly confident that this tautening is the event part 3 refers to.

Related to Pulley System Problem with String Impulse (Atwood's Machine)

What is a Pulley System?

A pulley system is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that runs along the groove. It is used to change the direction of a force and make it easier to lift or move heavy objects.

What is Atwood's Machine?

Atwood's Machine is a simple mechanical device that consists of two masses connected by a string that runs over a pulley. It is used to study the effects of different forces on the motion of the masses.

How does the Pulley System with String Impulse work?

In this problem, the string is given an initial impulse which causes one mass to move downwards and the other mass to move upwards. The pulley system allows the two masses to move with different velocities, and the string maintains tension between the two masses.

What are the equations used to solve Pulley System problems?

The equations used to solve Pulley System problems include Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this problem, the acceleration of the masses can be calculated by using the difference in their weights and dividing by the total mass of the system.

What are some real-life applications of Pulley Systems?

Pulley systems are used in a variety of real-life applications, such as elevators, cranes, and exercise equipment. They are also used in the construction of bridges and other large structures to lift heavy materials. In addition, pulley systems are commonly used in sailing and rock climbing to hoist equipment and supplies.