Pulley forces on truss crane problem.

In summary: In your design, you have to account for the effects of the tensions in the cables on the structure. Typically, you would do this by doing a free body diagram of the pulley with a bit of cable on it. From there, it becomes obvious which parts of the structure take the load.
hollidca
Hi for my design project at uni I am to design a truss crane to a certain spec.
I can easily calculate the forces in a truss without the pulley systems.
However when I have the pulleys I'm not sure how this affects the forces in the truss.
I have the load attached via a 4 cable pulley at the end of the beam of the crane, i understand the force here is still the load * gravity straight downwards. the lifting cable from this pulley goes to a pulley at the joint of the beam and central column, the cable then goes straight to the ground and attached to the cable drum. Is there a 45 degree force from the tension in the cable on the pulley attached at the joint of the beam and column?

Thank you for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
hollidca said:
Is there a 45 degree force from the tension in the cable on the pulley attached at the joint of the beam and column?

Consider the reaction forces that must be required to oppose the tensions in the cables. Essentially, do a free body diagram of the pulley with a bit of cable on it. Then it becomes obvious.

Okay I think i get what your saying. Consider a 10N Load pulling to the right around the pulley, and the opposite 10N pulling down. Leaving a resultant at 45 degrees from the horizontal and vertical of 10 root 2. This would need an equal and opposite force? Meaning that the beam that the pulley is attached to would take this load?
In which case do I take it into account on the force analysis of the side truss, or do I take it into account on the transverse beam it is held by and the joints connecting it to the truss?

Sorry if this makes no sense.

hollidca said:
the right around the pulley, and the opposite 10N pulling down. Leaving a resultant at 45 degrees from the horizontal and vertical of 10 root 2. This would need an equal and opposite force? Meaning that the beam that the pulley is attached to would take this load?
Yep

In which case do I take it into account on the force analysis of the side truss, or do I take it into account on the transverse beam it is held by and the joints connecting it to the truss?
Whichever parts have the load transmitted through them, so it sounds like both tho I'm not quite sure what part is what. You can consider this 45deg down-right force to be an external force applied to the pulley's shaft.

Okay, thank you. I think i have sorted it out in my head. Now to do it on paper... The joys of force analysis.

Sounds like a tower crane from your description.

Pulley bearings have horizontal and vertical reactions, but no moments, like any other hinge.

The angle will only be 45 if you assume zero friction. Of course, friction is how the windlass works and accounts for the differentce in tensions on either side of any pulley.

You should also note that any real world design should account for 'snatch' forces which are impulsive forces approximately double the static load values.
Many a crane has been broken due to the operator snatching a load.

go well

Yes, It's a tower crane.

We are assuming zero friction and also that there are no impact loads such as wind, snatching, or just impact of another object.

Typical undergraduate course lol, always assuming things are insignificant when they are the most significant.

Related to Pulley forces on truss crane problem.

1. What is a pulley and how does it work in a truss crane?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove along its edge. It is used to change the direction of a force and multiply its magnitude. In a truss crane, pulleys are used to lift and lower heavy loads by spreading the weight over multiple ropes or cables.

2. How do pulleys affect the forces on a truss crane?

Pulleys affect the forces on a truss crane by distributing the weight of the load across multiple ropes or cables. This reduces the amount of force needed to lift the load, making it easier for the crane to do its job.

3. What is the importance of considering pulley forces in a truss crane problem?

Considering pulley forces in a truss crane problem is important because it allows engineers to design and operate cranes safely and efficiently. Understanding pulley forces can also help in determining the maximum weight a crane can lift and how to distribute the weight to prevent overloading.

4. How do you calculate the forces on a truss crane with multiple pulleys?

To calculate the forces on a truss crane with multiple pulleys, you need to use the principle of mechanical advantage. This involves determining the number of ropes supporting the load and multiplying it by the weight of the load. The result will give you the total force needed to lift the load, which is then divided by the number of ropes to determine the force on each rope.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when dealing with pulley forces on a truss crane?

Yes, there are safety precautions to consider when dealing with pulley forces on a truss crane. It is important to ensure that the crane is properly maintained and inspected regularly to prevent accidents. Operators should also be trained on how to properly operate the crane and understand the weight limits and load distribution. Furthermore, it is crucial to use appropriate safety gear and follow all safety protocols when working with a truss crane.