Proving vector identities using Cartesian tensor notation

In summary: Then you getA_{rs} x_r x_{s,k} = A_{rs} \delta_{r k} x_s + A_{rs} \delta_{s k} x_r = A_{ks} x_s + A_{rk} x_r.
QuanticEnigma

Homework Statement

1. Establish the vector identity
[tex]

\nabla . (B[/tex] x [tex]A) = (\nabla[/tex] x [tex]A).B - A.(\nabla[/tex] x [tex]B)
[/tex]

2. Calculate the partial derivative with respect to [tex]x_{k}[/tex] of the quadratic form [tex]A_{rs}x_{r}x_{s}[/tex] with the [tex]A_{rs}[/tex] all constant, i.e. calculate [tex]A_{rs}x_{r}x_{s,k}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]

\nabla . (B[/tex] x [tex]A) = \epsilon_{ijk}A_{j}B_{k,i}
[/tex]

Now I don't know what to do next.

[tex]
A_{rs}x_{r}x_{s,k} = A_{rs}\partial_{k}(x_{r}x_{s}) = A_{rs}(x_{r}\partial_k x_{s} + x_{s}\partial_k x_{r})[/tex]

I have no idea if this is right or not.

I'm pretty good at proving vector identities (and Cartesian tensor notation in general), but I get lost when partial derivatives/nablas are involved. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Your notation is unclear and misleading. When you write [itex]\nabla\cdot(B\times A) = \epsilon_{ijk}A_j B_{k,i}[/itex], it looks like you're only differentiating Bk. Also, you got the indices wrong since you have BxA, not AxB. On the other hand, you should have [itex]\nabla\cdot(A \times B)[/itex] on the LHS anyway.

Instead, you should write

[tex]\nabla\cdot(A \times B) = \partial_i (\epsilon_{ijk} A_j B_k) = \epsilon_{ijk} \partial_i (A_j B_k)[/tex]

Use the product rule to differentiate and then convert back to vector notation.In the second problem, use the fact that the x's are independent, so [itex]\partial_i x_j = 0[/itex] if [itex]i \ne j[/itex] and [itex]\partial_i x_j = 1[/itex] if [itex]i = j[/itex], i.e. [itex]\partial_i x_j = \delta_{ij}[/itex].

Last edited:

Related to Proving vector identities using Cartesian tensor notation

1. What is Cartesian tensor notation?

Cartesian tensor notation is a mathematical notation used to express vector identities in terms of Cartesian coordinates. It involves using tensors, which are mathematical objects that represent linear relationships between vectors and their components. This notation is often used in physics and engineering to simplify and generalize vector calculations.

2. How do you prove vector identities using Cartesian tensor notation?

To prove vector identities using Cartesian tensor notation, you must first express the identity in terms of tensors and their components. Then, you can use the properties of tensors, such as the product rule and summation convention, to manipulate the expression and show that it is equal to the original identity. This process requires a good understanding of tensor algebra and calculus.

3. Why is it important to prove vector identities using Cartesian tensor notation?

Proving vector identities using Cartesian tensor notation allows for a more general and systematic approach to solving problems involving vectors. It also provides a deeper understanding of the underlying mathematics and can lead to more efficient and elegant solutions. In addition, many physical laws and equations are expressed in terms of tensors and their components, so being able to prove vector identities using this notation is essential for understanding and applying these concepts.

4. Are there any limitations to proving vector identities using Cartesian tensor notation?

While Cartesian tensor notation is a powerful tool for proving vector identities, it does have some limitations. It can be quite complex and require a significant amount of mathematical knowledge and skill. Additionally, it may not be the most efficient method for proving certain identities, and alternative approaches may be more appropriate in some cases.

5. How can I improve my understanding and skills in proving vector identities using Cartesian tensor notation?

To improve your understanding and skills in proving vector identities using Cartesian tensor notation, it is important to have a strong foundation in tensor algebra and calculus. Practice is also key, so working through various problems and examples can help improve your proficiency. Additionally, seeking out additional resources, such as textbooks and online tutorials, can provide further guidance and explanations on this topic.