Proving Total Derivative of jf+kg at a

In summary, if U⊆R^n is an open set with a ∈ U, and f: U->R^m and g: U->R^m are totally differentiable at a, then jf+kg is also totally differentiable at a. The total derivative at a is given by (D(jf+kg))a = j(Df)a+k(Dg)a. The approach would be to consider p(x) = jf(x)+kg(x) and take the limit as h goes to 0, accounting for the fact that h can approach 0 along different paths.
JohnLeee

Homework Statement

If U⊆R^n is an open set with a ∈ U, and f: U->R^m and g: U->R^m are totally differentiable at a, prove that jf+kg is also totally differentiable at a and that (D(jf+kg))a = j(Df)a+k(Dg)a.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let p(x) = jf(x)+kg(x)

Then [p(x+h)-p(x)]/h = [jf(x+h)+kg(x+h)-jf(x)-kg(x)]/h
= j[f(x+h)-f(x)]/h + k[g(x+h)-g(x)]/h

Then I took the limit of that as h goes to 0. Since both terms exist and are 0, jf+kg is also differentiable.

Is this the right way to solve the problem? I'm not sure because of the term "totally" differentiable. Also how do I solve the second part of the problem (total derivative)?

Physics news on Phys.org
JohnLeee said:

Homework Statement

If U⊆R^n is an open set with a ∈ U, and f: U->R^m and g: U->R^m are totally differentiable at a, prove that jf+kg is also totally differentiable at a and that (D(jf+kg))a = j(Df)a+k(Dg)a.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let p(x) = jf(x)+kg(x)

Then [p(x+h)-p(x)]/h = [jf(x+h)+kg(x+h)-jf(x)-kg(x)]/h
= j[f(x+h)-f(x)]/h + k[g(x+h)-g(x)]/h
What does this mean? Since f and g are from Rn to Rm, they are functions of n variables. In order to talk about "x+ h", you have to be thinking of x and h as vectors in Rn. But then division by h is division by a vector and that is not defined. You probably mean to divide by |h|.

]Then I took the limit of that as h goes to 0. Since both terms exist and are 0, jf+kg is also differentiable.

Is this the right way to solve the problem? I'm not sure because of the term "totally" differentiable. Also how do I solve the second part of the problem (total derivative)?
But if you do divide by |h| you still to have to deal with the fact that h can go to 0 along many different paths.

So should I approach this problem completely differently?

Related to Proving Total Derivative of jf+kg at a

1. What is the definition of a total derivative?

A total derivative is a mathematical concept that describes the rate of change of a function with respect to all of its variables. It takes into account both the direct and indirect effects of changes in the independent variables on the dependent variable.

2. How is the total derivative of a function calculated?

The total derivative of a function can be calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable and then multiplying them by the corresponding change in that variable. The sum of these terms gives the total derivative.

3. What does jf+kg mean in the context of proving the total derivative at a specific point?

In this context, j and k represent the coefficients of the variables f and g, respectively. This notation is often used when there are multiple variables in a function and we want to prove the total derivative at a specific point, denoted by a.

4. Can the total derivative be proven for any function at any point?

No, not every function has a total derivative at every point. Certain conditions, such as continuity and differentiability, must be met for a function to have a total derivative at a specific point.

5. How is the total derivative of jf+kg at a used in practical applications?

The total derivative at a is used in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and engineering, to analyze the behavior of a system. It helps us understand how small changes in the variables of a function can affect the overall output of the system.