Proving this basic fact about the annihilator in abstract algebra

In summary, the conversation is about defining the annihilator of a submodule in a ring and how it fits into the given definition. The conversation also discusses the difference between a submodule and an ideal, which are both types of modules. The speaker suggests that there may be another definition needed to fully understand the concept.
jdinatale
Maybe I'm misinterpreting the question, I'm not sure how to prove that n_0 i = 0.

aaa_zps530385fc.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't get why you multiply both on the left and on the right. I would think that all modules here are left R-modules. So you should always multiply with R on the left. In particular, we have

[tex]A=\{m\in M~\vert~im=0~\text{for all}~i\in R\}[/tex]

and so on.

micromass said:
I don't get why you multiply both on the left and on the right. I would think that all modules here are left R-modules. So you should always multiply with R on the left. In particular, we have

[tex]A=\{m\in M~\vert~im=0~\text{for all}~i\in R\}[/tex]

and so on.

Because my book defines the annihilator of X in Y as [tex]A=\{y\in Y~\vert~yx =0~\text{for all}~x\in X\}[/tex]

And what are X and Y?

micromass said:
And what are X and Y?

"If X is a submodule of M, the annihilator of X in Y is defined to be..."

Here X is a submodule and Y is the ring, the "R" in the R-module.

OK, so if you say "the annihalator of I in M", then how does this fit this definition??

In your definition, you have "the annihalator of [some submodule] in [ring]". But if you write "the annihalator of I in M", then I see "the annihaltor of [some ideal] in [module]". Of course an ideal is a module too, but the problem remains that this doesn't fit the definition. So I think there should have been another definition.

Related to Proving this basic fact about the annihilator in abstract algebra

1. What is the annihilator in abstract algebra?

The annihilator in abstract algebra is a concept used to describe the set of elements in a ring that, when multiplied by a specific element, result in the identity element (typically denoted as 1). It is denoted as Ann(a) and can also refer to the set of elements that are mapped to 0 under a given ring homomorphism.

2. Why is proving a basic fact about the annihilator important in abstract algebra?

Proving basic facts about the annihilator is important because it helps to understand the properties and behavior of this concept. It also provides a deeper understanding of rings, modules, and other algebraic structures, which have applications in various fields such as physics, computer science, and cryptography.

3. How can one prove a basic fact about the annihilator in abstract algebra?

To prove a basic fact about the annihilator in abstract algebra, one typically uses the definition of the annihilator, along with other properties and theorems in abstract algebra. This may involve using techniques such as proof by contradiction, induction, or direct proof.

4. What are some common basic facts about the annihilator in abstract algebra that are frequently proven?

Some common basic facts about the annihilator in abstract algebra that are frequently proven include the fact that the annihilator of a ring element is an ideal, that the annihilator of a submodule is a submodule, and that the annihilator of a ring is a maximal ideal.

5. Are there any practical applications of proving basic facts about the annihilator in abstract algebra?

Yes, there are several practical applications of proving basic facts about the annihilator in abstract algebra. For example, it is used in coding theory to construct error-correcting codes, in cryptography to create secure encryption algorithms, and in signal processing to analyze and process signals.