Proving the Sum of a Sequence Equals n Using Induction

• MHB
  • Thread starter joypav
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the conversation revolved around proving a certain problem without using AGM. One solution was suggested using the fact that $\log x \le x - 1$ for all $x > 0$, while another solution was provided by the professor involving a proof by induction. The induction step involved considering at least one value greater than one and at least one value less than one.
joypav
23kx5aq.jpg

Okay, so I need to prove this. I thought I would be using induction, right?

First we can consider the base case, which is simple.

Next we have to do the induction step.

I think we consider one case where each a=1. Then we have 1<=1.

Then consider that they are not all 1. I can't remember what trick to use. Is it that there must exist at least one a such that a<1? Because if they're all larger than 1 then the sum can't be n. And then there must also exist an a>1? Because if they're all less than 1 then the sum can't be n.

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, just to clear it up, I don't want to use AGM to prove it. The point is to prove this without AGM.

Hi joypav,

Using the fact that $\log x \le x - 1$ for all $x > 0$, you can prove directly that $\log(a_1\cdots a_n) \le 0$, which is equivalent to $a_1\cdots a_n \le 1$.

Euge said:
Hi joypav,

Using the fact that $\log x \le x - 1$ for all $x > 0$, you can prove directly that $\log(a_1\cdots a_n) \le 0$, which is equivalent to $a_1\cdots a_n \le 1$.

My professor actually provided me with a much different solution. This one is simpler though! Thanks

Out of curiosity, what was the solution your professor provided?

Euge said:
Out of curiosity, what was the solution your professor provided?

It was a proof by induction.
The typical basis step.
Then the induction step by considering that there must be at least one value greater than one and at least one value less than one.

If you're interested I can type it out.

There's no need. I was just curious what he did.

Related to Proving the Sum of a Sequence Equals n Using Induction

What is the concept of "Proving a Sum of a's Equals n"?

"Proving a Sum of a's Equals n" is a mathematical concept where we try to find a specific number of terms, represented by the variable "a", that when added together equal a given number, represented by the variable "n".

Why is it important to prove a sum of a's equals n?

Proving a sum of a's equals n is important because it allows us to solve various mathematical problems and understand patterns in numbers. It also helps us in solving real-life problems that involve finding a specific number of objects or quantities.

What are some methods used to prove a sum of a's equals n?

Some commonly used methods to prove a sum of a's equals n include mathematical induction, algebraic manipulation, and using the properties of arithmetic and geometric sequences.

Can a sum of a's equal n if n is a negative number?

Yes, a sum of a's can equal a negative number. In mathematical terms, this means that the sum of a's is equal to the additive inverse of n. For example, if n = -5, then a + a + a + a + a = -5 is a valid solution where a = -1.

Are there any specific values of a that can make the sum of a's equal n?

Yes, there are many different values of a that can make the sum of a's equal n. In fact, for any given n, there are infinite values of a that can satisfy the equation. This is because we can always add or subtract a certain number of a's to get the desired sum of n.