Proving the Schwarz Inequality

• Thread starter IHateMayonnaise
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
So then the next step would be to use the linearity property to expand the inner product and then simplify using the identity, correct? Yes, that sounds like the right idea! Just remember that when you expand the inner product, you will need to take the complex conjugate of each term in order to use the linearity property (since \langle a+b|c\rangle=\langle a|c\rangle+\langle b|c\rangle is not true, but \langle a+b|c\rangle=\langle a|c\rangle+\langle b|c\rangle^* is true).In summary, the Schwarz inequality can be proven by expanding the inner product and simplifying using the linearity property and the identity
IHateMayonnaise

Homework Statement

Prove the schwarz inequality:

[tex]|<\alpha|\beta>|^2\leq<\alpha|\alpha><\beta|\beta>[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]<\alpha|\alpha>\geq 0[/tex]

[tex]|\alpha>=|\beta>-\left(\frac{<\alpha|\beta>}{<\alpha|\alpha>}\right )|\alpha>[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The first step would obviously be to evaluate the first equation using the second:

[tex] <\alpha|\alpha>=\left <|\beta>-\left(\frac{<\alpha|\beta>}{<\alpha|\alpha>}\right )|\alpha>\middle | |\beta>-\left(\frac{<\alpha|\beta>}{<\alpha|\alpha>}\right )|\alpha>\right>[/tex]

..And from here I am kind of stumped. I am familiar with the identity [tex]<a+b|c>=<a|c>+<b|c>[/tex], however what would the identity be for [tex]<a+b|a+b>[/tex]? Am I even going in the right direction here?

In Shanker's Principles of Quantum Mechanics 2nd ed. Pg 17, it says that the next step is:

[tex]=<\beta|\beta>-\frac{<\alpha|\beta><\beta|\alpha>}{<\alpha|\alpha>}-\frac{<\alpha|\beta>^*<\alpha|\beta>}{<\alpha|\alpha>}[/tex]

I am not understanding this logic. I know that [tex]<\alpha|\beta>[/tex] represents the inner product of [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex], respectfully, but I do not understand how he gets to that step.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a start I don't understand your second relevant equation; you've got alpha on both sides. Are you choosing a beta (resp. alpha) such that that equation holds for each given alpha (resp. beta)?

I think you want to define a new quantity [tex]|\gamma \rangle [/tex]:

[tex]|\gamma \rangle=|\beta \rangle-\left(\frac{\langle \alpha|\beta \rangle}{\langle \alpha|\alpha \rangle}\right )|\alpha \rangle [/tex].

Now we want to take the adjoint; that is essentially replace all bras with kets and all complex numbers with their complex conjugates: some examples
If
[tex] |\gamma \rangle = i |\alpha \rangle [/tex]
then
[tex] \langle \gamma | = -i \langle \alpha | [/tex]

Or If
[tex] |\gamma \rangle = \langle \alpha | \beta \rangle |\alpha \rangle [/tex]
then
[tex] \langle \gamma | = \langle \beta | \alpha \rangle \langle \alpha | [/tex]

(Why? Remember changing the order of the inner product gives the complex conjugate).

Your linearity equations are right. You should be able to follow Shankar if you rewrite the equation for [tex]\langle \gamma | \gamma \rangle [/tex] correctly.

Thanks for the reply fantispug!

Yes; I apologize I meant for that to be gamma instead of alpha. So are you staying I should take the adjoint of the new quantity, or the adjoint of the inner product of the new quantity with itself?

Also: did you mean:

[tex] |\gamma \rangle =i|\gamma \rangle[/tex]

instead of

?

So if I rewrite what I had in my original post with gamma instead of alpha, we have:

[tex]
\langle \gamma|\gamma \rangle=\left < |\beta \rangle-\left(\frac{\langle\alpha|\beta\rangle}{\langle\alpha|\alpha\rangle}\right )|\alpha\rangle\middle | |\beta\rangle-\left(\frac{\langle\alpha|\beta\rangle}{\langle\alpha|\alpha\rangle}\right )|\alpha\rangle\right>
[/tex]

And taking the adjoint (I think I am doing this right):[tex]
\langle \gamma|\gamma \rangle=\left < \langle\beta|^*-\left(\frac{\langle\beta|\alpha\rangle}{\langle\alpha|\alpha\rangle}\right )\langle\alpha|\middle | \langle\beta|^*-\left(\frac{\langle\beta|\alpha\rangle}{\langle\alpha|\alpha\rangle}\right )\langle\alpha|\right>
[/tex]

?

Last edited:
IHateMayonnaise said:
So are you staying I should take the adjoint of the new quantity, or the adjoint of the inner product of the new quantity with itself?

I'm pretty sure he meant take the adjoint of the Ket [itex]\vert\gamma\rangle[/itex], in order to obtain the Bra [itex]\langle\gamma\vert[/itex], since (as you should have learned)

[tex]\vert\gamma\rangle^\dagger=\langle\gamma\vert[/tex]

for any Ket [itex]\vert\gamma\rangle[/itex]

Also: did you mean:

[tex] |\gamma \rangle =i|\gamma \rangle[/tex]

instead of

Again, I'm pretty sure he meant exactly what he posted...he is simply providing an example for the ket defined by the equation [itex] |\gamma \rangle \equiv i |\alpha \rangle [/itex] (this is a different gamma than the one you will use in your problem, it is just an example to demonstrate how to turn kets into bras)

For this example,

[tex]\langle\gamma\vert=\vert\gamma\rangle^\dagger=\left(i\vert\alpha\rangle\right)^\dagger=-i\langle\alpha\vert[/tex]

So if I rewrite what I had in my original post with gamma instead of alpha, we have:

[tex]
\langle \gamma|\gamma \rangle=\left < |\beta \rangle-\left(\frac{\langle\alpha|\beta\rangle}{\langle\alpha|\alpha\rangle}\right )|\alpha\rangle\middle | |\beta\rangle-\left(\frac{\langle\alpha|\beta\rangle}{\langle\alpha|\alpha\rangle}\right )|\alpha\rangle\right>
[/tex]

No, if [itex]|\gamma \rangle=|\beta \rangle-\left(\frac{\langle \alpha|\beta \rangle}{\langle \alpha|\alpha \rangle}\right )|\alpha \rangle [/itex]. then

[tex]\langle\gamma\vert=|\gamma \rangle^\dagger=\left(|\beta \rangle-\left(\frac{\langle \alpha|\beta \rangle}{\langle \alpha|\alpha \rangle}\right )|\alpha \rangle \right)^\dagger[/tex]

Got it, thanks yall!

Related to Proving the Schwarz Inequality

1. What is the Schwarz Inequality?

The Schwarz Inequality, also known as the Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality, is a mathematical inequality that relates the dot product of two vectors to the product of their magnitudes. It states that for any two vectors, the absolute value of their dot product is less than or equal to the product of their magnitudes.

2. Why is the Schwarz Inequality important?

The Schwarz Inequality is important because it has a wide range of applications in mathematics and physics. It is commonly used in geometry, linear algebra, and functional analysis. In addition, it is a fundamental tool in proving other important theorems and inequalities.

3. How is the Schwarz Inequality proven?

The Schwarz Inequality can be proven using a variety of methods, including algebraic, geometric, and analytical proofs. One common approach is to use the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality for integrals, which involves manipulating the integral representation of the dot product of two vectors.

4. What are some real-world examples of the Schwarz Inequality?

The Schwarz Inequality has many applications in the real world, such as in physics, economics, and statistics. One example is in quantum mechanics, where it is used to prove the uncertainty principle. In economics, it is used to study consumer preferences and demand. In statistics, it is used in regression analysis to measure the strength of the relationship between two variables.

5. Are there any generalizations or extensions of the Schwarz Inequality?

Yes, there are several generalizations and extensions of the Schwarz Inequality. One of the most well-known is the Hölder's Inequality, which extends the concept to more than two vectors. Another is the Minkowski Inequality, which relates the sum of the magnitudes of two vectors to the magnitude of their sum. There are also several generalizations to functions and matrices, such as the Bessel's Inequality and the Fan-Chung's Inequality.