Proving the Pythagorean Identity: A Brief Analysis

In summary, the conversation is about two different proofs of the identity \cos^2 \theta + \sin^2 \theta = 1 for all angles \theta. The first proof is deemed to be circular, while the second proof involves drawing a right triangle in a unit circle. The conversation also discusses how to prove the identity for negative values of \theta and the use of Pythagorean Identity.
Apost8
For homework, we were asked to prove that [tex] \cos^2 \theta + \sin^2 \theta = 1 [/tex] is true for all angles [tex] \theta [/tex]. Can someone please take a look at these and let me know if they are acceptable. I'm pretty sure the second one works, but I'm not sure of the first one, mainly because the premise of the proof is derived from the identity I'm trying to prove. Is that allowable or is that a circular argument? Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm still trying to get used to LATEX, so please forgive me if I've screwed anything up.

PROOF #1:

Given that: [tex] \tan^2 \theta + 1= \sec^2 \theta [/tex]

[tex] \frac{ sin^2 \theta}{cos^ 2 \theta} + 1= \frac {1}{cos^ 2\theta} [/tex]

multiplying by: [tex] \cos^ 2 \theta [/tex]

I get:

[tex] \sin^2 \theta + \cos^2 \theta =1 [/tex]

PROOF #2:

(First I drew a right triangle, labeling x, y, r, and [tex] \theta [/tex] ).

Given that: [tex] x^2 + y^2 = r^2[/tex]

dividing by: [tex] r^2 [/tex]:

[tex] \frac {x^2} {r^2} + \frac {y^2} {r^2} = \frac {r^2}{r^2} [/tex]

I get:

[tex] \cos^2 \theta + \sin^2 \theta = 1[/tex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first proof is a circular argument. How can one prove that:
tan2x + 1 = sec2x without using the Pythagorean Identity (sin2x + cos2x = 1)?
----------
For proof 2, what if your [tex]\theta[/tex] is negative? I think it will be better if you do it in a unit circle, then to draw a right triangle.
Do you get it? :)

So, for proof two, I need to draw the triangle in a unit circle to show that the statement holds true for a negative value of [tex]\theta[/tex]?

Last edited:
Apost8 said:
So, for proof two, I need to draw the triangle in a unit circle to show that the statement holds true for [tex]\-theta[/tex]?
Yes, it's correct.
Can you go from there? Note that (-a)2 = a2. And the radius of a unit circle is 1.
Can you go from here? :)

I'm not sure how I would show that [tex]\cos^2\theta + \sin^2 \theta = 1[/tex] is true for [tex]-\theta[/tex].

[tex]\cos^2 (-{\theta}) + \sin^2 (-{\theta}) = 1[/tex]

Let C be the center of a unit circle, and D be a point on the circle, whose coordinate is (cos t, sin t). Now that you'll always have cos2 t + sin2t = x2 + y2 = r2 = 1. (Since the radius of a unit circle is indeed 1). Can you get it? Or is there anything still unclear?
:)

Makes sense to me. Thanks for your help!

Related to Proving the Pythagorean Identity: A Brief Analysis

1. What is the Pythagorean Identity?

The Pythagorean Identity is a mathematical equation that states: a² + b² = c², where c is the hypotenuse (longest side) of a right triangle, and a and b are the other two sides.

2. Why is it called the Pythagorean Identity?

The Pythagorean Identity is named after the ancient Greek mathematician Pythagoras, who discovered and proved the theorem that bears his name. This identity is an extension of the Pythagorean Theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

3. What are Pythagorean Identity Proofs used for?

Pythagorean Identity Proofs are used to verify the validity of the Pythagorean Identity in different contexts and mathematical equations. This identity is one of the fundamental principles of geometry and has many applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture.

4. How do you prove the Pythagorean Identity?

There are various ways to prove the Pythagorean Identity, but the most common method is using geometry. This involves constructing a right triangle and using the Pythagorean Theorem to show that the identity holds true. Another method is using algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities to simplify the equation and show that both sides are equal.

5. Can the Pythagorean Identity be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Pythagorean Identity can be extended to higher dimensions. In three-dimensional space, the Pythagorean Identity becomes: a² + b² + c² = d², where d is the length of the diagonal in a three-dimensional cube. This concept can also be extended to higher dimensions, where the number of terms in the equation increases with the number of dimensions.