Proving the Harmonic Property of Analytic Functions

• Thread starter ultimateguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conditions
In summary, the conversation discusses the Cauchy-Riemann conditions for proving that the derivatives of u(x,y) and v(x,y) equal zero. It also mentions the construction of normal vectors to the curves u(x,y)=c and v(x,y)=c. The conversation concludes with a discussion on a part b) of the problem, which is easily solved using the Cauchy-Riemann equations.
ultimateguy

Homework Statement

The functions u(x,y) and v(x,y) are the real and imaginary parts, respectively, of an analytic function w(z).
Assuming that the required derivatives exist, show that

[tex]\bigtriangledown^2 u=\bigtriangledown^2 v=0[/tex]

Solutions of Laplace's equation such as u(x,y) and v(x,y) are called harmonic functions.

Homework Equations

Cauchy-Riemann conditions:

[tex]\frac{\delta u}{\delta x} = \frac{\delta v}{\delta y}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\delta u}{\delta y} = -\frac{\delta v}{\delta x}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I expanded [tex]\bigtriangledown^2 u = \frac{\delta u}{\delta x}\frac{\delta u}{\delta x} + \frac{\delta u}{\delta y}\frac{\delta u}{\delta y}[/tex] and using the Cauchy-Riemann conditions I found

[tex]\bigtriangledown^2 u = \frac{\delta v}{\delta y}\frac{\delta v}{\delta y} + \frac{\delta v}{\delta x}\frac{\delta v}{\delta x}=\bigtriangledown^2 v[/tex]

What I can't figure out how to do is prove that this is equal to zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your eqs. for del^2 are wrong.
[tex]\nabla^2 u=\partial_x\partial_x u+\partial_y\partial_y u.[/tex]

Dang, you're right. Can I dot it into an element of length like this?

[tex]\bigtriangledown^2 u \bullet d\vec{r}^2 = \frac{\delta}{\delta x}\frac{\delta u}{\delta x} dx^2 + \frac{\delta}{\delta y}\frac{\delta u}{\delta y} dy^2[/tex]

There is a hint in the problem that says I need to construct vectors normal to the curves [tex]u(x,y)=c_i[/tex] and [tex]v(x,y)=c_j[/tex]. Wow, I'm pretty lost.

The Cauchy-Riemann equations are
[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial v}{\partial y}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}=-\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}[/tex]
which is what you have, allowing for your peculiar use of [itex]\delta[/itex] rather than [itex]\partial[/itex]!

Now just do the obvious: differentiate both sides of the first equation with respect to x and differentiate both sides of the second equation with respect to y and compare them.

Are you sure that the hint is for this particular problem? A normal vector to u(x,y)= c is
[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\vec{i}+ \frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\vec{j}[/tex]
and a normal vector to v(x,y)= c is
[tex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}\vec{i}+ \frac{\partial v}{\partial y}\vec{j}[/tex].
Using the Cauchy-Riemann equations, that second equation is
[tex]-\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\vec{i}+ \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\vec{j}[/tex]
which tells us the the two families of curves are orthogonal but that does not directly tell us about [itex]\nabla^2 u[/itex] and [itex]\nabla^2 v[/itex].

Thanks for your reply.

There is a part b) to the problem, and it is this:

b) Show that

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\frac{\partial u}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial v}{\partial x}\frac{\partial v}{\partial y} = 0[/tex]

I solved it easily using the Cauchy-Riemann equations, so I figured that the hint was for the first part.

Related to Proving the Harmonic Property of Analytic Functions

1. What are the Cauchy-Riemann conditions?

The Cauchy-Riemann conditions are a set of necessary and sufficient conditions for a complex-valued function to be differentiable at a point in the complex plane. They state that the partial derivatives of the function with respect to the real and imaginary parts of the input variable must satisfy a specific relationship, known as the Cauchy-Riemann equations.

2. Why are the Cauchy-Riemann conditions important in complex analysis?

The Cauchy-Riemann conditions are important because they provide a way to determine whether a complex-valued function is differentiable at a point. This allows for the calculation of complex derivatives and the application of fundamental theorems in complex analysis, such as the Cauchy Integral Theorem and the Cauchy Integral Formula.

3. How do the Cauchy-Riemann conditions relate to the concept of analyticity?

The Cauchy-Riemann conditions are closely related to the concept of analyticity, which refers to the property of a function of being expressible as a convergent power series. A function that satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann conditions at a point is said to be analytic at that point, and therefore, differentiable at that point.

4. What happens if a function does not satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann conditions?

If a function does not satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann conditions at a point, it is not differentiable at that point. This means that the function cannot be approximated by a linear function at that point, and therefore, does not have a well-defined derivative. In this case, the function may still have other useful properties, but it cannot be analyzed using the tools of complex analysis.

5. Are there any other names for the Cauchy-Riemann conditions?

Yes, the Cauchy-Riemann conditions are also known as the Cauchy-Riemann equations, the Cauchy-Riemann differential equations, or simply the C-R conditions. They are named after mathematicians Augustin-Louis Cauchy and Georg Friedrich Bernhard Riemann, who independently discovered and formulated them in the 19th century.