Proving the Double Integral Problem: Reversing the Order of Integration

In summary, the given integral \int_0^1\int_x^1e^\frac{x}{y}dydx=\frac{1}{2}(e-1) can be solved by reversing the order of integration to \int_0^1\int_0^ye^\frac{x}{y}dxdy, which represents the region below the line y = x (i.e. y ≤ x).
cholyoake
The question is:

Show that:

[itex]\int_0^1\int_x^1e^\frac{x}{y}dydx[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](e-1)

I've tried reversing the order of integration then solving from there:

[itex]\int_0^1\int_y^1 e^{\frac{x}{y}}dxdy[/itex]

=[itex]\int_0^1[ye^\frac{x}{y}]_y^1dy[/itex]

=[itex]\int_0^1ye^\frac{1}{y}-ye^1dy[/itex]

But I can't integrate [itex]ye^\frac{1}{y}[/itex]

So either I've done something wrong when changing the order of integration or something else but I can't see how to go on from here.

Thanks,
Chris.

Physics news on Phys.org
cholyoake said:
The question is:

Show that:

So either I've done something wrong when changing the order of integration or something else but I can't see how to go on from here.

Thanks,
Chris.

Note that the integral can also equally well be represented by [itex]\int_0^1\int_0^xe^\frac{x}{y}dydx = \int_0^1\int_0^ye^\frac{x}{y}dxdy[/itex].

Oh of course, thank you very much for your help.

cholyoake said:
The question is:

I have no idea why but my browser shows e^{z/y} instead of e^{x/y} as the itex code is written. I am using Firefox 14.0.1
I tried clearing cache, etc but the problem still persists. Is this some bug with the forum?

sharks said:
I have no idea why but my browser shows e^{z/y} instead of e^{x/y} as the itex code is written. I am using Firefox 14.0.1
I tried clearing cache, etc but the problem still persists. Is this some bug with the forum?

Try blowing up the font (Ctrl-'plus', using the Numeric Pad plus). It's an 'x', but looks like a 'z' at small font sizes.

If you still see a 'z', then there's a real problem.

Curious3141 said:
Try blowing up the font (Ctrl-'plus', using the Numeric Pad plus). It's an 'x', but looks like a 'z' at small font sizes.

If you still see a 'z', then there's a real problem.

That fixed it. But it is a really annoying problem. I don't want to leave my display font-size bigger than it should be in my browser in order to correctly read a problem/solution. This font-size bug will certainly cause a lot of doubts and confusion all around the forum.

sharks said:
That fixed it. But it is a really annoying problem. I don't want to leave my display font-size bigger than it should be in my browser in order to correctly read a problem/solution. This font-size bug will certainly cause a lot of doubts and confusion.

It's not a bug. It's just insufficient visual acuity to distinguish the cursive 'z' from the 'x' at that scale.

Curious3141 said:
It's not a bug. It's just insufficient visual acuity to distinguish the cursive 'z' from the 'x' at that scale.

I guess there's no 'fixing' it then. Anyway, good to know it's not just me. :biggrin:

cholyoake said:
The question is:

Show that:

This is not a correct "reversal". In the original integral, x ranges from 0 to 1 and, for each x, y ranges from x up to 1. That is, it is the triangle above the line y= x. Reversing the order of integration, y goes from 0 to 1 and then, for each y, x goes from 0 to y. The integral is
[tex]\int_0^1\int_0^y e^{\frac{x}{y}}dxdy[/tex]

Thanks,
Chris.

cholyoake said:
Oh of course, thank you very much for your help.

Please note that I just realized there is an error in my post. The first integral ([itex]\int_0^1\int_0^xe^\frac{x}{y}dydx[/itex]) should not be there as it defines the region below the line y = x (i.e. y ≤ x). So the only correct reversal is [itex]\int_0^1\int_0^ye^\frac{x}{y}dxdy[/itex], as HallsofIvy pointed out.

Related to Proving the Double Integral Problem: Reversing the Order of Integration

1. What is a double integral problem?

A double integral problem is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the integral (or area under the curve) of a function of two variables over a specific region in a two-dimensional plane. It is essentially finding the volume under a three-dimensional surface.

2. How is a double integral problem different from a single integral problem?

A single integral problem involves finding the area under a curve in a one-dimensional plane, while a double integral problem involves finding the volume under a surface in a two-dimensional plane. In other words, a double integral problem involves an additional dimension.

3. What are the different types of double integral problems?

There are two types of double integral problems - iterated and repeated. In an iterated integral, the region of integration is split into smaller regions and the integral is evaluated over each of these regions. In a repeated integral, the integral is evaluated over a single region, but the function is expressed in terms of both variables.

4. What are the applications of double integral problems?

Double integral problems have various applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. They can be used to calculate the volume of irregularly shaped objects, determine the mass and center of mass of an object, and solve optimization problems.

5. How can I solve a double integral problem?

To solve a double integral problem, you need to first identify the region of integration and then set up the integral using the appropriate limits and functions. You can then evaluate the integral using various techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts. It is also helpful to visualize the problem using graphs or diagrams.