Proving the Differential of $\det (A)$ with Differentiable Elements of t

In summary, the proof for the given statement is to be done by induction on n, and the base case for n=1 holds true as the derivative of a 1x1 matrix is the same as the derivative of its only element. For the induction step, the "expansion" property of determinants is used to prove that the derivative of an (n+1)x(n+1) matrix is equal to the sum of the derivatives of the first row and the determinant of the kxk matrix obtained by removing the first row and appropriate column.
syj

Homework Statement

PROVE:
If A(t) is nxn with elements which are differentiable functions of t
Then:
[itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex](det(A))=[itex]\sum[/itex]det(Ai(t))
where Ai(t) is found by differentiating the ith row only.

Homework Equations

I know I should prove this by induction on n

The Attempt at a Solution

Consider the matrix A1 being a 1x1 matrix
So n=1
the derivative of the determinant is the same as the derivative of that one row, therefore the theorem holds for n=1

assume the proof will hold true for n=k call this matrix Ak

now prove the theorem holds true for n=k+1
[itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex](det(Ak+1)) =[itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex](det(A1)+[itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex](det(Ak))
AND
[itex]\sum[/itex](det(Ak+1) = [itex]\sum[/itex]det(A1)+[itex]\sum[/itex]det(Ak)

Is this it?
have I proved it?

Physics news on Phys.org

I had posted the exact same question a while ago and was too lazy to solve it.

I can't understand how you justify your first equation.
I can assure you the proof is much longer.

The determinant of a 1x1 matrix is equal to that one entry in the matrix isn't it?
so the derivative of the determinant is equal to the derivative of the one function in A.

syj said:

Homework Statement

PROVE:
If A(t) is nxn with elements which are differentiable functions of t
Then:
[itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex](det(A))=[itex]\sum[/itex]det(Ai(t))
where Ai(t) is found by differentiating the ith row only.

Homework Equations

I know I should prove this by induction on n
Sounds like an excellent plan!

The Attempt at a Solution

Consider the matrix A1 being a 1x1 matrix
So n=1
the derivative of the determinant is the same as the derivative of that one row, therefore the theorem holds for n=1
Good.

assume the proof will hold true for n=k call this matrix Ak

now prove the theorem holds true for n=k+1
[itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex](det(Ak+1)) =[itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex](det(A1)+[itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex](det(Ak))
Now, you have lost me. A "k+1 by k+ 1" determinant is NOT the sum of a 1 by 1 matrix and a k by k determinant which what you appear to be saying since you just use the "sum rule" for the derivative.

And [itex]\sum[/itex](det(Ak+1) = [itex]\sum[/itex]det(A1)+[itex]\sum[/itex]det(Ak)

Is this it?
have I proved it?
What is true is that a determinant can be "expanded" on one row. That is, we can, for example, expand by the first row. The k+1 by k+1 determinant is the sum of each entry in the first row time (plus or minus) the k by k matrix got by removing the first row and appropriate column. Use that to do a proof by induction.

:blushing:
I knew there was something fishy about my proof.
It just seemed too simple
I shall try to follow your advice ;)
I guarantee I shall be posting questions soon :)
thanks again

Related to Proving the Differential of $\det (A)$ with Differentiable Elements of t

1. What is the differential of a determinant?

The differential of a determinant is the change in the value of the determinant when one or more elements of the matrix are varied. It can be thought of as the derivative of the determinant function with respect to its elements.

2. How is the differential of a determinant calculated?

The differential of a determinant can be calculated by taking the derivative of the determinant function with respect to each element of the matrix, and then multiplying these derivatives by the corresponding element and summing them up.

3. Why is it important to prove the differential of a determinant?

Proving the differential of a determinant is important because it allows us to understand how small changes in the elements of a matrix affect the value of the determinant. This is useful in many areas of mathematics and science, such as optimization problems and differential equations.

4. Can the differential of a determinant be proved using differentiable elements of t?

Yes, the differential of a determinant can be proved using differentiable elements of t. This is because the elements of a matrix can be expressed in terms of t, and the derivative of a function with respect to t can be easily calculated.

5. Are there any applications of proving the differential of a determinant?

Yes, there are many applications of proving the differential of a determinant. It is used in the study of multivariable calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.