Proving the Airy Functional Equation: A Challenge in Complex Analysis

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functional
In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical proposition involving Airy functions and the complex number j. The participants suggest different approaches to prove the proposition, including using Euler's formula, trigonometric definitions, and complex analysis. One participant also mentions finding a similar equation in a different textbook.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I want to show that: [tex]Ai(x)+jAi(jx)+j^2Ai(j^2x)=0[/tex], where:
[tex]Ai(x)=\int_{-i\infty}^{i\infty}e^{xz-z^3/3}dz[/tex] and [tex]j=e^{2i\pi/3}[/tex], so far I got that I need to show that:
[tex]e^{zx}+je^{jxz}+j^2e^{xzj^2}=0[/tex] but didn't succeed in doing so.

Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ai(x) has a missing factor of 1/(2pi*i).

I doubt your proposition is correct, but you could try the following:

1) Prove that j^2 is the conjugate of j using Euler's formula

2) write down j=a+ib

3) plug in the condition and do some algebra, using the trig. definitions of sin and cos

You will find (if my calculations are correct) that the number is indeed real. I couldn't show that it vanishes though.

4) use a calculator and see, if it's really so ;)Another thing that comes up in my mind is to try reproducing the differential equation of the Airy fnct by the equation you have, but it's definitely not easyBtw, your definition of the Airy fnct. is a little bit different from the one in Wikipedia

Good luck!

marin

I am using the textbook by Olivier Vallee and Manuel Soares called: "Airy functions and applications to physics", the identity I am trying to prove is in page 6, equation 2.3, so it's not my proposition.
:smile:

hmmm, I guess it must be correct, since you've found it in a book... Unfortunately I have no access to this book :(

Here's something interesting, but I am not sure if it's mathematically correct, since I haven't done complex analysis yet:

Consider the equation:

[tex]e^{zx}+je^{jzx}+j^2e^{j^2zx}=:f(j)[/tex]

As mentioned above, j^2 is the complex conjugate of j. We know that the complex roots of an equation come up as pairs in the real polynomial functions. So I looked for this function.

Now if we consider f(j) as a function of a complex variable, but not over the field C but over the reals R, then all the term e-to-the are equal to 1, since e^{ix} has magnitude 1.**

So the equation simplifies to:

1+j+j^2=0

which solutions are exactly j and j^2.

For j our solution coincides with the given one. But what about j^2?! It turns out that if you plug in the equation j^2 instead of j, the equation does not change since j^4=j :) ! So the symmetry is preserved.

** I am not sure if I am allowed to do so, maybe some of you can discuss it further and say whether and why it's right/wrong.

So much from me for now,

MathematicalPhysicist, if you get the solution, I would be very interested in it :)

Ok, I found it in another textbook of Olver called Asymptotic and Special analysis edition 1974, page 88.

Cheers, mate.
(-:

ok, could you paste it here, or type it, since I don't have access to this book.

(or if it's too long, just sketch it :))

thanks, marin

It's in page 55, sorry for the mistake. Anyway, also in the book it's only a sketch, I'll PM you with the book.

Related to Proving the Airy Functional Equation: A Challenge in Complex Analysis

1. What is the Airy functional equation?

The Airy functional equation is a mathematical equation that describes the properties of the Airy function, a special function that arises in various areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is a differential equation that relates the values of the Airy function at different points.

2. What is the significance of the Airy functional equation?

The Airy functional equation has applications in many areas of mathematics and science, including differential equations, number theory, and probability theory. It is also used in the study of random matrices and quantum mechanics, making it an important tool in theoretical physics.

3. What is the history of the Airy functional equation?

The Airy functional equation was first discovered by the British astronomer Sir George Biddell Airy in 1838 while studying the behavior of light waves. It was later studied by many other mathematicians, including the French mathematician Joseph Liouville and the German mathematician Carl Gustav Jacobi.

4. How is the Airy functional equation solved?

The Airy functional equation can be solved using a variety of methods, including power series, integral transforms, and asymptotic expansions. It also has connections to other special functions, such as the Bessel function and the hypergeometric function, which can be used to solve it.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Airy functional equation?

The Airy functional equation has practical applications in fields such as optics, acoustics, and signal processing. It is also used in the study of fluid dynamics, particularly in the analysis of flow around objects. Furthermore, it has applications in quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics, helping to describe the behavior of systems at the atomic and molecular level.