Proving that two double sums are equal

• Thread starter DeadOriginal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sums
In summary: $$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}a_{nk}=a_{00}+a_{10}+a_{11}+a_{20}+a_{21}+a_{22}+...$$which is equivalent to the summation of each element of the following matrix column by column.
DeadOriginal

Homework Statement

Let [itex]\{a_{n,k}:n,k\in\mathbb{N}\}\subseteq[0,\infty)[/itex]. Prove that [itex]\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty}\sum\limits_{k=0}^{n}a_{n,k}=\sum\limits_{k=0}^{\infty}\sum\limits_{n=k}^{\infty}a_{n,k}[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty certain that the claim is true because when I expand them out I get
[itex]\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty}\sum\limits_{k=0}^{n}a_{n,k}=a_{0,0}+a_{1,0}+a_{1,1}+a_{2,0}+a_{2,1}+a_{2,2}+...[/itex] and
[itex]\sum\limits_{k=0}^{\infty}\sum\limits_{n=k}^{\infty}a_{n,k}=a_{0,0}+a_{1,0}+a_{2,0}+...+a_{1,1}+a_{2,1}+...[/itex]
which look to me like reorderings of each other. The problem is I am not sure about how I should approach proving that they are in fact equal.

Physics news on Phys.org
DeadOriginal said:

Homework Statement

Let [itex]\{a_{n,k}:n,k\in\mathbb{N}\}\subseteq[0,\infty)[/itex]. Prove that [itex]\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty}\sum\limits_{k=0}^{n}a_{n,k}=\sum\limits_{k=0}^{\infty}\sum\limits_{n=k}^{\infty}a_{n,k}[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty certain that the claim is true because when I expand them out I get
[itex]\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty}\sum\limits_{k=0}^{n}a_{n,k}=a_{0,0}+a_{1,0}+a_{1,1}+a_{2,0}+a_{2,1}+a_{2,2}+...[/itex] and
[itex]\sum\limits_{k=0}^{\infty}\sum\limits_{n=k}^{\infty}a_{n,k}=a_{0,0}+a_{1,0}+a_{2,0}+...+a_{1,1}+a_{2,1}+...[/itex]
which look to me like reorderings of each other. The problem is I am not sure about how I should approach proving that they are in fact equal.

Since you have infinite sums there, you are going to have to assume things converge. What you have is a problem of switching the order of summation. Draw a picture of the region in the n-k plane that the left sum describes then use the picture to reverse the order like you would do with double integrals.

Alternatively, you could define ##\epsilon_{nk} = 1## if ##k\le n## and ##0## if ##k>n##. Then you have$$
\sum_{n=0}^\infty \sum_{k=0}^n a_{nk} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \sum_{k=0}^\infty a_{nk}\epsilon_{nk}$$Now reverse the order, which is easy, and rewrite the inner sum without the ##\epsilon_{nk}##'s by using the appropriate limits for ##n##.

LCKurtz said:
Since you have infinite sums there, you are going to have to assume things converge. What you have is a problem of switching the order of summation. Draw a picture of the region in the n-k plane that the left sum describes then use the picture to reverse the order like you would do with double integrals.

Alternatively, you could define ##\epsilon_{nk} = 1## if ##k\le n## and ##0## if ##k>n##. Then you have$$
\sum_{n=0}^\infty \sum_{k=0}^n a_{nk} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \sum_{k=0}^\infty a_{nk}\epsilon_{nk}$$Now reverse the order, which is easy, and rewrite the inner sum without the ##\epsilon_{nk}##'s by using the appropriate limits for ##n##.

I can see how the proof will go if reversing the order of summation works out but I am confused by that part. Does it necessarily follow that
$$\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty}\sum\limits_{k=0}^{\infty}a_{nk}\epsilon_{nk}
=\lim\limits_{l\rightarrow\infty}\sum\limits_{n=0}^{l}\left[\lim\limits_{m\rightarrow\infty}\sum\limits_{k=0}^{m}a_{nk}\epsilon_{nk}\right]
=\lim\limits_{l\rightarrow\infty}\lim\limits_{m\rightarrow\infty}\sum_{n=0}^{l}\sum\limits_{k=0}^{m}a_{nk}\epsilon_{nk}
=\lim\limits_{l\rightarrow\infty}\lim\limits_{m\rightarrow\infty}\sum_{k=0}^{m}\sum\limits_{n=0}^{l}a_{nk}\epsilon_{nk}?
$$

Using Fubini's Theorem makes sense now. Thank you for the link.
Now if I were to prove it with your first hint does this look correct?
$$
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}a_{nk}=a_{00}+a_{10}+a_{11}+a_{20}+a_{21}+a_{22}+...
$$
so it is equivalent to the summation of each element of the following matrix column by column.
$$
\begin{pmatrix}
a_{00} & a_{10} & a_{20} & a_{30} & \cdots \\
0 & a_{11} & a_{21} & a_{31} & \cdots \\
0 & 0 & a_{22} & a_{32} & \cdots \\
0 & 0 & 0 & a_{33} & \cdots \\
\vdots & \vdots & \vdots & \vdots \\
\end{pmatrix}
$$
To reverse the order we sum the elements of the following matrix row by row such that we get
$$
\begin{align*}
&a_{00}+a_{10}+a_{20}+\cdots+0+a_{11}+a_{21}+a_{31}+\cdots+0+0+a_{22}+a_{32}+\cdots+0+0+0+a_{33}+\cdots\\
&=a_{00}+a_{10}+a_{20}+\cdots+a_{11}+a_{21}+a_{31}+\cdots+a_{22}+a_{32}+\cdots+a_{33}+\cdots\\
&=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\sum_{n=k}^{\infty}a_{nk}.
\end{align*}
$$
Hence
$$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\sum_{k=0}^{n}a_{nk}=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\sum_{n=k}^{\infty}a_{nk}.$$

LCKurtz said:

DeadOriginal said:
Using Fubini's Theorem makes sense now. Thank you for the link.
Now if I were to prove it with your first hint does this look correct?
$$
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}a_{nk}=a_{00}+a_{10}+a_{11}+a_{20}+a_{21}+a_{22}+...
$$
so it is equivalent to the summation of each element of the following matrix column by column.
$$
\begin{pmatrix}
a_{00} & a_{10} & a_{20} & a_{30} & \cdots \\
0 & a_{11} & a_{21} & a_{31} & \cdots \\
0 & 0 & a_{22} & a_{32} & \cdots \\
0 & 0 & 0 & a_{33} & \cdots \\
\vdots & \vdots & \vdots & \vdots \\
\end{pmatrix}
$$
To reverse the order we sum the elements of the following matrix row by row such that we get
$$
\begin{align*}
&a_{00}+a_{10}+a_{20}+\cdots+0+a_{11}+a_{21}+a_{31}+\cdots+0+0+a_{22}+a_{32}+\cdots+0+0+0+a_{33}+\cdots\\
&=a_{00}+a_{10}+a_{20}+\cdots+a_{11}+a_{21}+a_{31}+\cdots+a_{22}+a_{32}+\cdots+a_{33}+\cdots\\
&=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\sum_{n=k}^{\infty}a_{nk}.
\end{align*}
$$
Hence
$$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\sum_{k=0}^{n}a_{nk}=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\sum_{n=k}^{\infty}a_{nk}.$$

I wouldn't argue it with symbolically written infinite matrices or sums full of dot dot dots. Also your matrix isn't written with the usual notation where the first subscript represents the row number. Altogether it gives me a headache trying to decipher your argument. Why don't you try my suggestion I have requoted above with the ##\epsilon_{nk}##'s. Just do what I suggest in the last line; it's easy.

Ok. Here is an attempt.
$$
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\sum_{k=0}^{n}a_{nk}\\
=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}a_{nk}\epsilon_{nk}=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_{nk}\epsilon_{nk} \text{ (by Fubini's Theorem)}\\
=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\sum_{n=k}^{\infty}a_{nk}$$
where [itex]\epsilon_{nk}=1[/itex] if [itex]k\leq n[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon_{nk}=0[/itex] if [itex]k>n[/itex].

That's the idea. You explained that the second = is by Fubini's theorem. But your explanation should also include commentary as to exactly why the ##\epsilon_{nk}## make the first equality and last equality work. After all, you want your teacher to know that you really understand how the epsilons affect the indexing and aren't just shuffling symbols around.

Related to Proving that two double sums are equal

1. How do you prove that two double sums are equal?

To prove that two double sums are equal, you must show that both sides of the equation have the same value when the same variables are used. This can be done by expanding and simplifying both sums, or by using algebraic manipulation.

2. What strategies can be used to prove the equality of two double sums?

Some strategies that can be used to prove the equality of two double sums include using the distributive property, factoring, and rearranging terms. You can also use identities such as the commutative and associative properties to show that the two sums are equal.

3. Can you provide an example of proving the equality of two double sums?

Yes, for example, we can prove that (2x + 3y)(4x + 5y) = 8x2 + 22xy + 15y2 by expanding and simplifying both sides of the equation. This shows that both sums have the same value of 8x2 + 22xy + 15y2, proving their equality.

4. Are there any specific properties that can be used to prove the equality of double sums?

Yes, the distributive property, commutative property, and associative property are commonly used when proving the equality of double sums. Additionally, the properties of equality, such as the reflexive, symmetric, and transitive properties, can also be applied.

5. Is it always possible to prove the equality of two double sums?

In most cases, yes. However, there may be some cases where the two double sums are not equal. This could be due to incorrect calculations or a mistake in the initial assumption. It is important to carefully check the steps used to prove the equality and ensure that all properties and rules are correctly applied.