Proving that multivariable limit exists

In summary, to prove that a multivariable limit exists, it is necessary to show that the limit of the function at a given point is the same regardless of the path taken to approach that point. This can be demonstrated by evaluating the limit along multiple paths and showing that they all converge to the same value. A multivariable limit is defined as the value that a function approaches as the independent variables approach a given point, denoted by the symbol "lim." It can exist even if the function is not defined at that point, as it only describes the behavior of the function near the given point. There is a difference between a one-sided and two-sided multivariable limit, with the latter considering the behavior of the function from both
physdood

Homework Statement

Given f(x,y)=(y+x)/(y-x) use an ε-∂ proof to show that lim(x,y)→(0,1) f(x,y) exists.

Homework Equations

|(y+x)/(y-x)-1|=|(2x)/(y-x)|

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the limit is 1. I can't figure out how to massage the above any further to get it into the form |(2x)/(y-x)|<=k|x| or |(2x)/(y-x)|<=k|y-1| so that I can choose an appropriate value for ∂. I have tried restricting ∂<1 but it doesn't get me any further. Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
physdood said:

Homework Statement

Given f(x,y)=(y+x)/(y-x) use an ε-∂ proof to show that lim(x,y)→(0,1) f(x,y) exists.

Homework Equations

|(y+x)/(y-x)-1|=|(2x)/(y-x)|

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the limit is 1. I can't figure out how to massage the above any further to get it into the form |(2x)/(y-x)|<=k|x| or |(2x)/(y-x)|<=k|y-1| so that I can choose an appropriate value for ∂. I have tried restricting ∂<1 but it doesn't get me any further. Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks.

In problems of this type is often useful to translate the desired point to the origin. By writing ##x = x'## and ##y = 1 + y'##, the limit becomes ##(x',y') \to (0,0)##. Try it and see what happens.

Saying the limit exists and equals 1 is saying that ##\forall\epsilon>0\ \exists\delta>0## such that ##d\big((x,y),(0,1)\big)<\delta\Rightarrow |f(x,y)-1|<\epsilon##, where ##d\big(x1,y1),x2,y2)\big)\equiv\sqrt{(x1-x2)^2+(y1-y2)^2}## is the distance function.

So what you need to do is show how to find a ##\delta## that works, given ##\epsilon##.

The problem is easier to do if you concentrate on a square in the number plane centred on (0,1), rather than the circle defined by the distance formula. So, given ##\epsilon##, try to find ##\alpha>0##, defined in terms of epsilon, such that if ##|x-0|<\alpha## and ##|y-1|<\alpha## then ##|f(x,y)-1|<\epsilon##. That will be a matter of simple arithmetic using the formulas you have written above.

If you can do that, you only need to find ##\delta## such that the circle around (0,1) defined by ##\delta## contains the square around (0,1) defined by ##\alpha## so that
##d\big((x,y),(0,1)\big)<\delta\Rightarrow |x-0|<\alpha\wedge|y-1|<\alpha## .

You got to the point:

$$\frac{2 |x|}{|y - x|} < \varepsilon$$

Using the reverse triangle inequality, you get:

$$\frac{2 |x|}{|y - x|} \leq \frac{2 |x|}{\left| |y| - |x| \right|} \leq \frac{2 |x|}{|y| - |x|} < \varepsilon$$

You know ##|x| < \delta## and ##|y - 1| < \delta##. Use these inequalities to put a bound on ##\frac{1}{|y| - |x|}## in terms of ##\delta##. This will let you solve for ##\delta( \varepsilon)##.

Related to Proving that multivariable limit exists

1. How do you prove that a multivariable limit exists?

To prove that a multivariable limit exists, you must show that the limit of the function at a given point is the same regardless of the path taken to approach that point. This can be done by evaluating the limit along several paths and showing that they all converge to the same value.

2. What is the definition of a multivariable limit?

A multivariable limit is the value that a function approaches as the independent variables approach a given point. It is denoted by the symbol "lim" and is used to describe the behavior of a function near a specific point.

3. Can a multivariable limit exist even if the function is not defined at that point?

Yes, a multivariable limit can exist even if the function is not defined at that point. This is because the limit is only concerned with the behavior of the function as the independent variables approach the given point, not the value of the function at that point.

4. What is the difference between a one-sided and two-sided multivariable limit?

A one-sided multivariable limit only considers the behavior of the function as the independent variables approach the given point from one side, either the left or the right. A two-sided multivariable limit considers the behavior from both sides and the limit only exists if the two one-sided limits are equal.

5. What are some common techniques for proving that a multivariable limit exists?

Some common techniques for proving that a multivariable limit exists include using the epsilon-delta definition, evaluating the limit along different paths, and using algebraic manipulation and inequalities to show that the limit exists. Other techniques may also be used depending on the specific function and point in question.