Proving $\tau = I\alpha$ for Continous Mass Distribution

In summary, the proof for the equation \tau=I\alpha in the case of continuous mass distribution involves converting the discrete version of the equation into an integral form. This is because the discrete version assumes the existence of point-like particles, which is not always the case. By using the Riemann sum and taking smaller mesh values, the sum converges to the Riemann integral, which is a good approximation for a closed bounded function.
pardesi
how does one prove [tex]\tau=I\alpha[/tex] for continious mass distribution where [tex]\tau[/tex] is the net external torque along the axis of rotation [tex]I[/tex] is the moment of inertia,and [tex] \alpha[/tex] is the angular accelaration ...
i know the proof when the mass distribution is discrete...

Physics news on Phys.org
look at your discrete version and see how you can turn the sum into an integral ... eventually, i think the integral get absorbed in the definition of I (moment of inertia)

well taht doesn't happen ...because the discrete version necissates teh existence of point like particles...what does ahppen that thsi turns out to be a very good approximation...using the fact that as the mesh value of the riemann sum decrease it converges to the riemann integral; for a closed bounded function

Related to Proving $\tau = I\alpha$ for Continous Mass Distribution

1. What is the formula for proving $\tau = I\alpha$ for continuous mass distribution?

The formula for proving $\tau = I\alpha$ for continuous mass distribution is $\tau = \int r \times dm$, where $\tau$ represents the torque, $I$ represents the moment of inertia, and $\alpha$ represents the angular acceleration.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated for a continuous mass distribution?

The moment of inertia for a continuous mass distribution is calculated by taking the sum of the products of the mass and the square of the distance from the axis of rotation for each infinitesimal element of the mass distribution, and integrating over the entire mass distribution.

3. What is the difference between continuous and discrete mass distributions?

A continuous mass distribution is one in which the mass is distributed continuously throughout a given volume or area, while a discrete mass distribution is one in which the mass is concentrated at specific points. In other words, a continuous mass distribution has an infinite number of infinitesimal elements, while a discrete mass distribution has a finite number of discrete elements.

4. How do you prove $\tau = I\alpha$ for continuous mass distribution using calculus?

To prove $\tau = I\alpha$ for continuous mass distribution using calculus, you would need to integrate the formula $\tau = \int r \times dm$ over the entire mass distribution, taking into account the infinitesimal elements of the mass distribution and their respective distances from the axis of rotation. This would result in an expression for the torque in terms of the moment of inertia and the angular acceleration.

5. Can the formula $\tau = I\alpha$ be applied to any shape or type of mass distribution?

Yes, the formula $\tau = I\alpha$ is a general formula that can be applied to any shape or type of mass distribution, as long as the mass distribution is continuous. However, the calculation of the moment of inertia may vary depending on the shape and type of mass distribution, but the principle of integrating over infinitesimal elements remains the same.