Proving Simple Summable Functions and Cauchy Sequences on [0,1]

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fermat1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the author demonstrates that there is no simple summable function on the interval [0,1] that converges to the function f in the given metric. Additionally, the author suggests that the function f is a staircase function that goes up from 0 to 1 in steps of height and width $1/n$.
Fermat1
Let [x] be the integer part of x. Define the function \(\displaystyle f_{n}\) by \(\displaystyle f_{n}=\frac{[nx]}{n}\)

1) show that every \(\displaystyle f_{n}\) is a simple summable function.

So Firstly I need to show I can write is as a linear combination of indicator functions. Not sure how to proceed.

2)Show \(\displaystyle (f_{n}) \)is a cauchy sequence with the metric which is the integral from 0 to 1 of |f-g|.
I think the key to this question is what is the relation between the difference of the integer parts and the integer part of the difference.

3) show there is no simple summable f on [0,1] such that \(\displaystyle f_{n}\) converges to f in the above metric

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe define \(\displaystyle A_{n}=f^{-1}(n)\) and \(\displaystyle t_{n}=n^{-1}\)

Fermat said:
Let [x] be the integer part of x. Define the function \(\displaystyle f_{n}\) by \(\displaystyle f_{n}=\frac{[nx]}{n}\)

1) show that every \(\displaystyle f_{n}\) is a simple summable function.

So Firstly I need to show I can write is as a linear combination of indicator functions. Not sure how to proceed.

2)Show \(\displaystyle (f_{n}) \)is a cauchy sequence with the metric which is the integral from 0 to 1 of |f-g|.
I think the key to this question is what is the relation between the difference of the integer parts and the integer part of the difference.

3) show there is no simple summable f on [0,1] such that \(\displaystyle f_{n}\) converges to f in the above metric

Thanks
I think you have omitted the very important condition that these functions are supposed to be defined on the interval [0,1]. In that case, for 1) you should show that $f_n(x) = k/n$ when $k/n \leqslant x <(k+1)/n$, for $0\leqslant k\leqslant n-1.$

For 2), show that $x - \frac1n < f_n(x) \leqslant x$ (for $0\leqslant x\leqslant 1$) and deduce that $|f_n(x) - f_m(x)| <\frac1m$ whenever $n>m$. This shows that $f_n$ is uniformly Cauchy, and therefore Cauchy for the given metric.

For 3), $f_n(x) \to x$ uniformly on $[0,1]$. But the uniform metric is stronger than the given metric, so it follows that $f_n(x) \to x$ in the given metrix. But $x$ is not a simple function.

Intuitively, $f_n$ is a staircase function, going up from 0 to 1 in steps of height and width $1/n$.

Thanks. I will look at this evening and get back to you tomorrow.

Opalg said:
I think you have omitted the very important condition that these functions are supposed to be defined on the interval [0,1]. In that case, for 1) you should show that $f_n(x) = k/n$ when $k/n \leqslant x <(k+1)/n$, for $0\leqslant k\leqslant n-1.$

For 2), show that $x - \frac1n < f_n(x) \leqslant x$ (for $0\leqslant x\leqslant 1$) and deduce that $|f_n(x) - f_m(x)| <\frac1m$ whenever $n>m$. This shows that $f_n$ is uniformly Cauchy, and therefore Cauchy for the given metric.

For 3), $f_n(x) \to x$ uniformly on $[0,1]$. But the uniform metric is stronger than the given metric, so it follows that $f_n(x) \to x$ in the given metrix. But $x$ is not a simple function.

Intuitively, $f_n$ is a staircase function, going up from 0 to 1 in steps of height and width $1/n$.

Is there a formula for [x]?

Fermat said:
Is there a formula for [x]?
The only formula is that if there is an integer $m$ such that $m\leqslant x<m+1$ then $\lfloor x\rfloor = m.$

Opalg said:

---

Last edited:
Ok the maths code has gone haywire for some reason. Basically, in trying to write \(\displaystyle f_{n}\) as a linear combination of indicator functions, I came up with a choice which meant \(\displaystyle f_{n}\) was not summable. By the way by summable I mean that the series of $|t_{k}|u(A_{k})$ converges, where u is the measure and the $t_{k}$ ,$A_{k}$ are the real numbers and measurable sets in the linear combination .

The other 2 questions I have completed.

I put \(\displaystyle t_{m}=\frac{m}{n}\) and $A_{m}$=[m/n,(m+1)/n)

Fermat said:
I put \(\displaystyle t_{m}=\frac{m}{n}\) and $A_{m}$=[m/n,(m+1)/n)
(Yes)

Opalg said:
(Yes)

But \(\displaystyle u(A_{m})=\frac{1}{n}\) so \(\displaystyle t_{m}u(A_{m})=\frac{m}{n^2}\), the series of which from m=1 to infinity does not converge. Is it that since the domain is [0,1], m only goes up to n, so it is in fact a finite sum?

Fermat said:
But \(\displaystyle u(A_{m})=\frac{1}{n}\) so \(\displaystyle t_{m}u(A_{m})=\frac{m}{n^2}\), the series of which from m=1 to infinity does not converge. Is it that since the domain is [0,1], m only goes up to n, so it is in fact a finite sum?
That is what made me think that the domain must be the unit interval. The functions $f_n$ are certainly not summable over the whole real line. Also, question 2) refers to "the metric which is the integral from 0 to 1 of |f-g|", another indication that the domain should be the unit interval.

Related to Proving Simple Summable Functions and Cauchy Sequences on [0,1]

1. What are simple summable functions?

Simple summable functions are mathematical functions that can be summed or added together easily. They are typically functions that involve basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. How are simple summable functions different from other functions?

Simple summable functions are different from other functions in that they are easy to add together, while other functions may involve more complex operations or may not be able to be added together at all. Additionally, simple summable functions are often used in the study of infinite series and convergence.

3. What is the importance of simple summable functions?

Simple summable functions are important in mathematics because they allow for the study of infinite series and convergence. They also provide a foundation for more complex functions and allow for easier calculations and manipulations.

4. Can all functions be considered simple summable functions?

No, not all functions can be considered simple summable functions. Functions that involve more complex operations or have restrictions on their domain or range may not be able to be added together easily. Simple summable functions are a specific type of function that is characterized by its ease of summation.

5. How are simple summable functions used in practical applications?

Simple summable functions are used in a variety of practical applications, such as in economics, physics, and engineering. They are used to model real-world phenomena and make predictions or calculations. For example, simple summable functions can be used to model the growth of a population over time or the trajectory of a projectile.