Proving Self-Adjoint ODE for Legendre Polynomials

In summary: so in principle, you could just solve for $p$ and then say "oh, and it has eigenvalues $\lambda = n(n+1)-2$".
ognik
(I haven't encountered these before, also not in the book prior to this problem or in the near future ...)

Show that the 1st derivatives of the legendre polynomials satisfy a self-adjoint ODE with eigenvalue $\lambda = n(n+1)-2 $

Wiki shows a table of poly's , I don't think this is what the book means ...

Wiki also shows Rodrique's formula which looks more relevant - $ P_n(x) =\frac{1}{2^n}\frac{1}{2!} \d{^n{}}{{x}^n} (x^2-1)^n$
So I differentiated that a couple of times to see, and got $ P_0 =1, P_1 = x, P_2 = \frac{1}{2}(3x^2 - 1) ...$ - and realized I was just generating the polynomials. Basically I don't what I'm supposed to be doing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Got a bit further along, I just couldn't find what one should do with the polys, so I tried to make an ODE out of the 1st 3 and that looks like a good guess (how should I have known?), I get :

$ y''+xy'+\frac{1}{2}(3x^2-1)y=0 ,[ p_0 =1, p_1 = x, p_2 =\frac{1}{2}(3x^2-1)] $ which I can (I hope) use sturm-L theory to to solve. Problem is book is not very clear on S-L theory and couldn't find anything very clear on the web, so please help me get the method right.

I believe I want to get an eigenvalue eqtn of the form: $ \mathcal{L}y=\lambda w(x)y $. First Check if self-adjoint, ie is $p_0' =p_1 $

A) If the eqtn was already self-adjoint, then $p=p_0, q=p_2$ and $ \mathcal{L} = (p\frac{d}{dx})' + q $ ...But where does w(x) normally come from? If I read it off for the original eqtn it = 1. I can't see how it would ever not be 1?

B) if not S-A, multiply the ODE by the integrating factor $= \mu(x)= \frac{1}{p_0} exp\int\frac{p_1}{p_0} dx$. Now $a_0=\mu, a_1=\mu p_1 , a_2=\mu p_2 $ giving a self adjoint ODE= $ a_0 y'' + a_1 y'+ a_2 y=0 $ and I follow A) above.
--------------------
Hoping the above is OK, I get $ \mu = e^{\frac{x^2}{2}}, \mathcal{L}y=\lambda y, where \: \mathcal{L}y = (py')'+qy, p=e^{\frac{x^2}{2}}, q=\frac{x}{2} e^{\frac{x^2}{2}} (3x^2-1)$
A hint please on what to do next?

I have honestly spent hours trying to make a decent start to this - not getting anywhere. I am not even sure what I'm supposed to doing - assume I'm stupid if necessary just to help get me started. Alternatively if the usual suspects are also stumped, knowing that would be a great comfort, leave a comment!

'Progress' since last post.

Wiki says that legendre polynomials are solutions to the Legendre ODE. I tried $y=p_0=1$ and it was a solution to $(1-x^2)y''-2xy'+n(n-1)=0 $ for n= 0 or 1.
$y=p_1=x$ gave me $2x=n^2+n$ which doesn't seem like a solution?

Tell me if I am mistaken, they want me to differentiate Legendre polynomials and to show they too are solutions of a self-adjoint ODE? If differentiating a poly gave a previous poly, that would answer the question, but they aren't related like that...

1) So - how many of them to differentiate? With a 2nd order ODE I would guess 2, but this doesn't limit it to 2nd order
2) If it was 2 poly's, $p'_0 = 0, p'_1 = 1$ which doesn't seem useful, should I instead start with $p_2= \frac{1}{2}\left(3{x}^{2}-1\right) $?
2) They say 'satisfy a self-adjoint ODE' - which one? I assume Legendres?

I don't know what space you are working on, but let us suppose it is $\mathcal{C}^{\infty}[-1,1]$

Consider the operator:

$H = D\circ(1-x^2)D$

where $D$ is the differentiation operator: $\dfrac{d}{dx}$ (so $D(f) = f'$), and $(1-x^2)D$ refers to "pointwise multiplication" by $(1-x^2)$, so for example, if $f(x) = \cos(x)$, then:

$H(f)(x) = \dfrac{d}{dx}((1-x^2)(-\sin(x)) = (x^2 - 1)\cos(x) + 2x\sin(x)$

Your task is, I believe, to show this operator is Hermitian, and to show $P_n$ is an eigenfunction of this operator, and then to calculate its eigenvalues.

To show $H$ is Hermitian, I believe the inner product you will employ is:

$\langle f,g\rangle = \int\limits_{-1}^1 f(x)g(x)\ dx$ (we can use the Riemann integral since our functions are smooth). This reduces to being "symmetric" (careful, here! some authors do not make this kind of distinction) since we have REAL-VALUED functions. In other words, no need to worry about complex-conjugations.

If I recall correctly (and I may not, it's literally been decades) this is a S-L problem of the form:

$\dfrac{d}{dx}\left[p(x)\dfrac{dy}{dx}\right] + q(x)y = -\lambda w(x)y$

with $p(x) = 1 - x^2, q(x) = 0$ and $w(x) = 1$.

The ODE associated with these polynomials is called Legendre's differential equation, and *that* "diffy q" shows the eigenvalues directly.

Related to Proving Self-Adjoint ODE for Legendre Polynomials

1. What is a self-adjoint ODE?

A self-adjoint ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a type of differential equation where the coefficients of the highest order derivative and its adjoint (a differential operator that is the complex conjugate of the original operator) are equal.

2. Why is it important to prove self-adjointness for Legendre polynomials?

Proving self-adjointness for Legendre polynomials is important because it allows us to use the powerful tools of spectral theory to study the properties of these polynomials. This can lead to a better understanding of their behavior and applications in various fields such as physics and engineering.

3. How do you prove self-adjointness for Legendre polynomials?

The proof involves using the properties of orthogonal polynomials, particularly the orthogonality relation of Legendre polynomials. By applying this relation and some algebraic manipulations, we can show that the differential operator and its adjoint are equal, thus proving self-adjointness.

4. What are some applications of self-adjoint ODEs and Legendre polynomials?

Self-adjoint ODEs and Legendre polynomials have numerous applications in physics, such as in solving the Schrödinger equation for quantum mechanical systems and in the study of heat transfer. They are also used in engineering for solving vibration and wave propagation problems.

5. Are there any other types of self-adjoint ODEs besides those involving Legendre polynomials?

Yes, there are many other types of self-adjoint ODEs, such as Bessel equations, Hermite equations, and Airy equations. These equations involve different types of orthogonal polynomials and have their own unique properties and applications.