Proving R^2 is a Vector Space: Finding Zero Vector & More

In summary, the vector space R^2 satisfies all the requirements of a vector space, but it does not have infinitely many elements.
matrix_204
I had this question in my book asking me to show these things in detail, but it seems easy yet i don't understand why teacher said it was a little difficult:

1) Prove that R^2(with the rules of addition and scalar multiplication) is a vector space and find (zero vector)?

2)Deduce from the rules of addition and scalar multiplication that
0v=0(vector) for all v in V and (-1)v=-v? (v is a vector)

3) Show that a vector space U has another just 1 element or infinitely many.

I just need to see what you guys comment on this, as to me it seems like i just simply have to rewrite the rules and that's pretty much it, but again i don't think that's what its asking for, i just don't understand i guess.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the definition of a vector space. Show that R^2 with the given rules of addition and scalar multiplication satisfies all the requirements of a vector space.

So rewriting the rules, that's pretty much it. You should only be careful to prove the required rules only from properties of operations in R and not R^2.

For b) and c) you must prove it from the defining properties of a vector space.

3) is false, but not if we mean "over R".

matt grime said:
3) is false, but not if we mean "over R".

I had to think about that for a moment- it's false if the vector space is over a finite field!

2) just seems a simple application of the scalar multiple property. Start by defining the vector in some arbitrary way (v_1, v_2, ... , v_n) and use the property of real numbers, etc. to deduce what you need.

yea for 1) is this enough to prove that R^2 is a vector space:
The vector space of R^2 consists of the set of ordered real numbers
x = (x1, x2). Addition of these real numbers is defined by adding the components:
x + y = (x1 + y1, x2 + y2) = y + x.
And multiplication by a scalar k in R^2 is defined as
kx = (kx1, kx2).
(now what does it mean to find a zero vector?)
and for 3) i came up with, the zero vector as having one element and everything else besides zero vector in U, will have infinetly many elements. right?

matrix_204 said:
(now what does it mean to find a zero vector?)
Find a vector in R2 that behaves like the zero vector in the vector space axioms. You may think the choice is obvious, but you must supply the rigor.
matrix_204 said:
...and everything else besides zero vector in U, will have infinetly many elements...
Have you rigorously shown why they will have infinitely many elements (over the field R) ?

hypermorphism said:
Have you rigorously shown why they will have infinitely many elements (over the field R) ?

The set {0} is a subspace with just one element.
Every other subspace of U is infinite, so it has infinite number of elements, since 0 =/= v in U, then for any real number k, kv in U, since U is closed under scalar multiplication and for k ≠ d, kv ≠ dv. Proof of this is as follows:
If kv=dv, then (k – d)v = 0, so k – d ≠ 0, then
v = 1/(k – d) x (k – d)v = 1/(k – d) x 0 = 0.

Does this show everything or not?

No, you've not proven that any (real) vector space must have infinitely many elements - there are vector spaces that do not have infinitely many elements, and it'd be good for you to see why.

If it doesn't have just one element it has at least 2, 0 and v, say, but it must also have v, 2v, 3v,... which is an infinite list as kv-0 if and only if... now do you see why you had to prove it?

Related to Proving R^2 is a Vector Space: Finding Zero Vector & More

What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements, called vectors, and two operations, addition and scalar multiplication, that satisfy certain axioms. These axioms include closure, associativity, commutativity, distributivity, and the existence of a zero vector and additive inverses.

How do you prove that R^2 is a vector space?

To prove that R^2 (the set of all ordered pairs of real numbers) is a vector space, we need to show that it satisfies all the axioms of a vector space. This includes showing that addition and scalar multiplication are closed operations, that they are associative and commutative, and that they satisfy the distributive property. We also need to show the existence of a zero vector (the origin) and additive inverses for every vector in R^2.

What is the zero vector in R^2?

The zero vector in R^2 is the ordered pair (0,0). This vector has a magnitude of 0 and a direction of 0 degrees, and it is the additive identity in R^2. This means that when any vector in R^2 is added to the zero vector, the result is the original vector.

How do you find the zero vector in R^2?

To find the zero vector in R^2, we simply set both components of the ordered pair to 0. So the zero vector in R^2 is (0,0).

What does it mean for a vector space to have additive inverses?

Additive inverses in a vector space refer to the property that for every vector v, there exists another vector -v such that v + (-v) = 0. This means that when we add a vector to its additive inverse, the result is the zero vector. In R^2, the additive inverse of a vector (x,y) is (-x,-y).