Proving Parity in Normalized Solutions of the Schrodinger Equation

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the time-independent Schrodinger equation and how to show that normalised solutions to it have definite parity. The person asking for help has attempted a solution but is struggling and is seeking guidance on the proper approach.
ProfessorChaos
Hopefully this is in the correct section.

Struggling with this question though I don't think it should be particularly difficult:

Show that if V(x) = V(-x) normalised solutions to the time-independent Schrodinger equation have definite parity - that is, u(x) = +-u(-x)

(+- means plus or minus. Sorry for poor formatting - on phone)

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just read the "how to ask for help" sticky.

My attempt at a solution involved subbing y = -x. Obtaining a solution, then trying to normalise it. However I don't get anywhere really, and my line of argument through my current page of working reads unconvincing (I'm just guessing).

Cheers

Related to Proving Parity in Normalized Solutions of the Schrodinger Equation

1. What is Schrodinger related proof?

Schrodinger related proof refers to a type of mathematical proof that is based on the principles of quantum mechanics, specifically the Schrodinger equation. It is used to prove the validity of certain quantum mechanical phenomena and theories.

2. How is Schrodinger related proof different from other types of mathematical proofs?

Schrodinger related proof is unique in that it is based on the principles of quantum mechanics, which describe the behavior of subatomic particles. It is often used to prove the validity of theories that cannot be explained using classical physics.

3. What are some examples of theories that have been proven using Schrodinger related proof?

Some examples include the existence of quantum superposition, tunneling, and entanglement. These phenomena cannot be explained using classical physics and require Schrodinger related proof for validation.

4. What are the key elements of a Schrodinger related proof?

A Schrodinger related proof typically involves using the Schrodinger equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes the evolution of a quantum system over time. Other elements may include statistical analysis, complex numbers, and vector calculus.

5. Why is Schrodinger related proof important in the field of quantum mechanics?

Schrodinger related proof is crucial in quantum mechanics because it provides a rigorous and mathematical way to validate theories and understand the behavior of subatomic particles. It allows scientists to make predictions and test their theories, ultimately advancing our understanding of the quantum world.