Proving Newton's third law invariant with Galilean tranfrom

In summary, by using the sum rule for second order differential equations, it can be shown that Newtonian mechanics is form invariant with respect to a Galilean transformation. This means that the force law and equations of motion remain the same, regardless of the reference frame.
AllRelative

Homework Statement

Consider Newton’s force law for two particles interact through a central force F12(r1',r2',u1,u2), where by Newton’s third law F12 = -F21.

m1(d^2r1/dt^2) = F12(r1,r2,u1,u2)

m2(d^2r2/dt^2) = F21(r1,r2,u1,u2)
A. Show that Newtonian mechanics is form invariant with respect to a Galilean transformation?

Homework Equations

Newton's third law:
F12 = -F21

Galilean Transform:
t'=t
m'=m
r'=r-vt

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the concept of invariance. I understand Galilean relativity quite well. I just have no clue where to start the proof. I haven't done much proofs in my past physics and math courses.

I tried writing the two F=m*a equations with the primed coordinates but after that I'm lost. here is what I wrote:

m1(d^2(r1-v*t)/dt^2) = (F12)'((r1-v*t),(r2-v*t),(u1-v),(u2-v)

m2(d^2(r2-v*t)/dt^2) = -(F21)'((r1-v*t),(r2-v*t),(u1-v),(u2-v)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your left hand side has a second order differential equation of a sum. You can use the sum rule and work that out

Thanks for the quick reply! Doing that brings me to:

m1(d^2(r1)/dt^2) - m1(d^2(v*t)/dt^2) =

m1*a1 - 0 = (F12)'((r1-v*t),(r2-v*t),(u1-v),(u2-v)

And therefore I can say that F12(r1,r2,u1,u2) = (F12)'((r1-v*t),(r2-v*t),(u1-v),(u2-v)

Is that right?

Related to Proving Newton's third law invariant with Galilean tranfrom

1. What is Newton's third law?

Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

2. What is Galilean transformation?

Galilean transformation is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in different frames of reference. It allows us to compare the motion of an object from different perspectives.

3. How does Newton's third law relate to Galilean transformation?

Invariance with Galilean transformation means that Newton's third law holds true regardless of the frame of reference in which it is observed. This means that the equal and opposite reaction will always occur, even if the perspective from which it is observed is different.

4. Why is proving Newton's third law invariant with Galilean transformation important?

Proving the invariance of Newton's third law with Galilean transformation is important because it confirms the fundamental nature of the law and its applicability in various situations and frames of reference. It also helps us understand the concept of relativity and the relationship between different frames of reference.

5. How is the invariance of Newton's third law with Galilean transformation demonstrated?

The invariance of Newton's third law with Galilean transformation can be demonstrated through mathematical equations and experiments. By comparing the forces and accelerations of objects in different frames of reference, we can show that the equal and opposite reaction still occurs, thus proving the invariance of the law.