Proving Momentum Conservation: A Physics Homework Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics homework problem involving a ramp, two balls, and the conservation of momentum. The problem is solved by considering initial and final momentum, using equations of uniform motion, and making assumptions about the mass and time of the balls. The result shows that momentum is conserved with a small percentage difference.
parallax1234
so here i am doing my physics homework. everythings fine, but then i get this whopper of a problem, which is for major marks, and i can't seem to solve it for some reason. here she is:

a ramp is setup on the edge of a table

a ball slides down this ramp and picks up speed. just as it leaves the ramp it hits a stationary ball, identical to the first, located at the very bottom of the ramp

the two balls collide and fall a certain distance to the floor below, hitting the ground at exactly the same time.

the balls land on the floor below:

one of the balls lands 30cm away from the bottom of the ramp; 32 degrees to the right of ramp

the other ball lands 33.25cm away from the bottom of the ramp; 43 degrees to the left of ramp

some things to remember:

-the height of the ramp, height of the table, time, weight/size of the balls are unknown, but constant
-a single ball going down the same ramp lands 47.6 cm away from the bottom of the ramp.

prove in the most efficient way that momentum is conserved.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF parallax,

Please show some intial thoughts or working. Consider intial momentum prior to the collision. You will also require equations of uniform motion. Think projectile motion.

~H

Last edited:
momentum = mass * (time/distance)

therefore, initial momentum = m (t/0.476)

final momentum1 = m (t/.30) [32 degrees right]
final momentum2 = m (t/.3325) [43 degrees left]

using the cosine law i find total final momentum:

total final momentum^2: [m (t/.30)]^2 + [m (t/.3325)]^2 - 2[m (t/.30)][m (t/.3325)]cos85

using the above value i find the angle using sine law.

-i ignored the downward motion of the two balls, because t and m are constant.
-i assume that the momentum of the ball going down the ramp without colliding = total initial momentum
-i forgot to mention that this data was collected from an actual lab, so there's some momentum that was lost to friction from going down the ramp and from air resistance.

i am left with a really long equation with a bunch of unknown variables. am i safe to assume that i can just put in a value of 1 for m and t, since they are both constant, the momentum before and after will be the same regardless of what value i choose.

i will likely get a percentage difference of around 15% -5%, momentum is not fully conserved, but its ok because its in a real-world environment, but in an isolated system it would be 100% conservation of mass...

am i on the right track here?

Last edited:
i am an idiot: speed = distance/time not time/distance

i also used 85 as the angle, instead of 105...

having fixed this, i seem to have the problem solved:

Assumptions made:

- The mass of the two balls is the same; mass = m

- The time for the balls to hit the ground is the same; time = t

- The final momentum of the incident ball (without impact) = initial momentum of the incident ball = total momentum before collision

Calculations:

momentum = mass * (distance/time)

therefore:

initial momentum = m (0.476/t)

final momentum-1 = m (0.30/t) [32 degrees right]
final momentum-2 = m (0.3325/t) [43 degrees left]

because m and t are constant, a value of 1 can be plugged into the equation without affecting the conservation of momentum.

initial momentum = 1 (0.476/1)

= 0.476 kg m/s

using the cosine law the total final momentum is found:

final momentum² = [m (.30/t)]² + [m (.3325/t)]² - 2[m (.30/t)][m (.3325/t)]cos105

because m and t are constant, a value of 1 can be plugged into the equation without affecting the conservation of momentum.

final momentum² = [1 (.30/1)]² + [1 (.3325/1)]² - 2[1 (.30/1)][1 (.3325/1)]cos105

= √0.252 = 0.502 kg m/s

Initial momentum ≈ Final momentum

The momentum is conserved (percentage difference = 5.3%)

Your working appears correct, and I can't spot an glaring errors. Your percentage of conservation seems reasnable, so I would say yes you have solved it. And without any help! Well done :biggrin:

~H

Related to Proving Momentum Conservation: A Physics Homework Problem

1. What is momentum conservation?

Momentum conservation is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external forces. This means that in a closed system, the total momentum before an event must be equal to the total momentum after the event.

2. How is momentum measured?

Momentum is measured as the product of an object's mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. The unit of momentum is kilogram-meters per second (kg·m/s).

3. How is momentum conserved in a physics problem?

In order for momentum to be conserved in a physics problem, the net external force acting on the system must be zero. This means that the total momentum before and after the event must be the same.

4. What is an example of a problem involving momentum conservation?

An example of a problem involving momentum conservation is a collision between two objects. In this scenario, the total momentum before the collision must be equal to the total momentum after the collision in order for momentum to be conserved.

5. How do you solve a momentum conservation problem?

To solve a momentum conservation problem, you must first identify the initial and final momentum of the system. Then, use the principle of momentum conservation to set up an equation with the initial and final momenta. Finally, solve for the unknown variables using algebra or other mathematical techniques.